ADVERTISEMENT

Women beat Hofstra today

Joe the Panther Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Jul 6, 2001
71-58. Jumped all over them early, led by 21 late in the 2nd quarter and by 18 at the half. Led by 19 late in the 3rd and then let most of the lead slip away. The lead was down to 6 half way through the 4th until Pitt finally put the game away.

Pitt played 13 different players and 12 of them had at least one rebound (nine of them scored). On the other hand, Hofstra basically played seven. Didn't shoot the ball nearly as well as they did in the first game. Turned the ball over a lot (so did Hofstra). Jayla Everett was good both early and late, not so much in the middle. She ended up with 23 points (and went 10-10 from the line). Day Harris had 13 points, 8 rebounds and 6 assists (versus only 2 turnovers). Destiny Strother scored 8 points (including two threes) in the 1st quarter, and then didn't score again the rest of the game.

Sandrine Clesca played 12 minutes, including some time where she was at the point, Harris was at the two and Everett was at the three. Cynthia Ezeja played 11 minutes, didn't score (or take a shot) and had 4 rebounds. I get why they are playing so many players here at the beginning of the season, but 13 is way too many players in the rotation. Pitt only had three players with even 15 minutes played. They are going to have to whittle that down some soon, what with conference games starting in a week and a half.

Reactions: MajorMajors
Also wanted to add, as some people know Hofstra has a former Pitt assistant as head coach and two Pitt transfers in the starting lineup. Jaala Henry played 37 minutes and had 4 points on 1-7 from the field and 4 rebounds. Jahsyni Knight had 11 points, 9 rebounds and 3 assists in almost 38 minutes. It may have been her best game ever at the Pete. But it still showed her shortcomings as a player. 3 assists, but 5 turnovers. 11 points, but 2-13 from the field and 1-7 on threes. In other words, she still can't shoot.

Reactions: MajorMajors
Players transfer for a reason. Most of the time the coach's are right. I wish the former girls and Coach Santos the best. They will be fine in the Colonial. White has this team headed in the right direction. I think the Acc is down this year. I expect us to win more games ane be in the middle not the bottom like predicted.

Players transfer for a reason. Most of the time the coach's are right. I wish the former girls and Coach Santos the best. They will be fine in the Colonial.

I met Knight at an event last year and she seems like a great young woman. But I think it was pretty obvious that neither of the two was an ACC-level player. If you can't shoot at all you can't play at this level. Henry was a development big that they took a chance on who just didn't develop enough. It happens.

Really shows the poor level of recruiting by Coach Suzie. Knight is an excellent athlete, but as Joe stated, she just can’t shoot worth a darn.

And I agree the Knight was nice to talk to. Told me she wants to be an FBI agent! 👍
I wish her the best at Hofstra.

Go Pitt.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT