ADVERTISEMENT

woooo, stanford

Not to sound all SMF, but i posted a few weeks ago that Pitt could quite possibly cut varsity sports. The track team, with no facility comes to mind.

I mean think about it.....our revenue from our main driver is going to get killed if no ticket sales take place. With no track facility, AND A COMMITMENT TO MOVE FORWARD WITH VICTORY HEIGHTS, Pitt track is on life support.

After reading about Stanford, as flush as that school is,

Anyone here still think Pitt is immune?

Last edited:
So maybe a lot of cuts are coming but but the money makers won't be.

i don't think the money makers make too much at a lot of schools. i can see football getting dropped by some schools. at least temporarily.

i don't think the money makers make too much at a lot of schools. i can see football getting dropped by some schools. at least temporarily.
I can see it in the schools where football is virtually non-revenue.

stanford is really rich. if they're cutting programs, what do you think is coming for a lot of other schools? including ours.

Not this level of cut. People continue to confuse a school being rich with their endowment vs what an athletic budget is.

They cut 11 sports that are not highly participated in by other universities. Wrestling is the only one I saw pop out that doesn't fit that mold.

They still have 25 varsity sports, 5 more than pitt currently has.

I thought I read prior to covid they ran their athletic department at a 12m a year deficit and now with covid it will be 25m deficit if they didn't make these cuts.

Not this level of cut. People continue to confuse a school being rich with their endowment vs what an athletic budget is.

They cut 11 sports that are not highly participated in by other universities. Wrestling is the only one I saw pop out that doesn't fit that mold.

They still have 25 varsity sports, 5 more than pitt currently has.

I thought I read prior to covid they ran their athletic department at a 12m a year deficit and now with covid it will be 25m deficit if they didn't make these cuts.

we know it's not the endowment. but stanford boosters have plenty of dough. i thought most of their programs were completely subsidized. obviously not. but you'd think if any P5 school could cough up the dough to save programs, it'd be them.

stanford is really rich. if they're cutting programs, what do you think is coming for a lot of other schools? including ours.

Endowment money can't be used for athletics, in most cases. If you're referring to Stanford having lots of well-heeled donors willing to support non-revenue sports, that's another thing.

To be honest, I didn’t know rowing and sailing were varsity sports.

The truth is that many of the Olympic programs are funded by donors with specific interests. PSU wouldn’t have varsity hockey if it wasn’t for the guy that owns the Sabres. I mean, he even propped up BOB’s salary to keep him the last year he coached there.

Reactions: ThePanthers
ADVERTISEMENT