ADVERTISEMENT

World Cup Countdown Trivia

anon_d97v9o3a8b6xr

Board of Trustee
Aug 3, 2010
23 Days until the World Cup, and I am pretty excited. Mostly because I am convinced Belgium will win it even though they won't, but I am also convinced the US will not get out of their group which they won't.

What country has played the least amount of World Cup games? The number is 1 game. Name the country.

23 Days until the World Cup, and I am pretty excited. Mostly because I am convinced Belgium will win it even though they won't, but I am also convinced the US will not get out of their group which they won't.

What country has played the least amount of World Cup games? The number is 1 game. Name the country.
I dont know but I am guessing it was one of the first few World Cups, probably before they had a Group Stage. As it was mostly a South American/Western Hemisphere tournament in the early days, I'll say Guatemala or Nicaragua

Dutch East Indies , 1938

I guess this is one of those technicality issues. I’ll take both answers as correct. But this is kind of a weird thing because of what happened in 1938 and the rollover game to qualify, but it was direct knockout back than. If I have my history correct and whatever happened to Indonesia as formerly known as Dutch East Indies. They lost to Hungary 6-0.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fk_Pitt
22 Days until the World Cup

This is an easy one.

What continent has the most World Cup victories? Without looking, how many?

Last edited:
South America 9
Brazil 5, Argentina, 2, Uruguay 2

Europe 12
Germany 4, Italy 4, France 2, Spain 1, England 1

Europe. There have been 21, I think, and South America has won 9. (Brazil 5, Argentina and Uruguay 2 each.) So that leaves 12 for Europe.
You got it. A bit easy considering such few winners beyond the expected. no other continent has come close and may not have even been to a final.

no other continent has come close and may not have even been to a final.

Germany - 4 (3 as West Germany, one after the reunification)
Argentina - 3
Netherlands - 3
Czechoslovakia - 2
Hungary - 2
Brazil - 2
Italy - 2
Sweden - 1
France - 1
Croatia - 1

So Europe 16, South America 5, Everyone else 0.

This is the year that changes!

OK, probably not.

And to show how lopsided it is even at the semifinal level, 3rd and 4th place teams:

Europe - 32
South America - 8
CONCACAF - 1 (the US, in the first tournament in Uruguay)
Asia - 1 (South Korea, when they played all their games at home)

21 Days until the World Cup

What country has qualified without winning the World Cup more than any other country (16 times)? 2022 will be their 17th. They’ve even been the host country twice.

What country has qualified without winning the World Cup more than any other country (16 times)? 2022 will be their 17th. They’ve even been the host country twice.
I want to say USA…but I’m gonna thing about this one for a few minutes before I give my final answer.

I’m going to switch and say Mexico because I’m not sure the USA has qualified that many times. 17 is a lot.

Reactions: mike412
It's got to be someone who has played in a lot of tournament and has a reputation for dirty play, so I'm going to go with either Italy or Uruguay.

Let’s call it 11. I thought I saw 12, but now I’ve seen 11. I just don’t know if it covered all the way through 2018. It’s still those damn Brazilians.

Let’s call it 11. I thought I saw 12, but now I’ve seen 11. I just don’t know if it covered all the way through 2018. It’s still those damn Brazilians.
My motivation for Argentina for my answer was a) # of world cups attended and b) all those old clips of Maradona and his teams in fights. Lol.

Argentina has the most total cards combined.
Club match here, but he knocked the GK out. Mike probably knows all the context, but Maradona was the recipient of racist abuse all game and he snapped. I believe it was the last time he played for Barcelona.

Club match here, but he knocked the GK out. Mike probably knows all the context, but Maradona was the recipient of racist abuse all game and he snapped. I believe it was the last time he played for Barcelona.

You gotta love how soccer players all become ninjas when they start to fight. That knee to the goalie, yikes. I don’t remember this one, but I’d have to see how it all started with him kneeing the goalie.

ADVERTISEMENT