ADVERTISEMENT

World Cup Pool

And I am sorry soccer fans... the stereotype of players acting like they were just hit with a sniper bullet every time they get grazed is 100% accurate. The amount of flopping in a game would make the Duke Blue Devils proud.

Why does that bother people? I WANT my players to do it, to try to draw UNDESERVED foul calls, it's a strategy, part of the game, I'd coach it and endorse it IN EVERY SPORT. And in the end, most of the time they don't get the call, so why does it bother you.

As for Messi, I think he's about washed up, he's like 32 years old, he's near the end IMO.

The car culture is one of the things I hate about the USA, it would make for a better mental health if suburban neighborhoods had corner bars and restaurants scattered around within walking distance and there would be less DUIs. But they purposely zone that stuff out.
I am guessing it is your quest for human companionship and your outgoing and charming personality that leads you to go to bars and pay three times the price for drinks you could have in the company of your family at home. Why, I bet you are a warm and fuzzy barfly in the vein of Norm Peterson.

Why does that bother people? I WANT my players to do it, to try to draw UNDESERVED foul calls, it's a strategy, part of the game, I'd coach it and endorse it IN EVERY SPORT. And in the end, most of the time they don't get the call, so why does it bother you.

As for Messi, I think he's about washed up, he's like 32 years old, he's near the end IMO.

Not really saying it bothers me. As I mentioned, I don't really watch soccer so I don't really care one way or the other. Just saying in that game, the players flopped all game long.

I know a couple of soccer fans and they take great offense to people calling soccer players floppers and so forth which is why I brought it up.

I am guessing it is your quest for human companionship and your outgoing and charming personality that leads you to go to bars and pay three times the price for drinks you could have in the company of your family at home. Why, I bet you are a warm and fuzzy barfly in the vein of Norm Peterson.
I really don't go to bars, almost never, maybe 4-5 times a year. I had a beer at a bar about 3 weeks ago. Because the USA bar culture makes no sense? For most people you have to drive to a bar, driving after drinking is almost considered equal to murder, so how the hell can you really be a bar fly in this culture logistically, maybe 5-10% of the population lives close enough to walk to a bar. But if I lived 3-4 blocks or less from a bar, I might go more often. I grew up in western PA and everyone where I grew up knew and socialized with their neighbors, I've found that most of America isn't like that sadly. In the NORMAL COUNTRIES where people aren't AMERICANS they walk to the local pub and socialize with their neighbors, it's just called humanity and we have little of that in the USA.

I know a couple of soccer fans and they take great offense to people calling soccer players floppers and so forth which is why I brought it up.

Yeah, they overplay the "agony", but I think most of the falls are pretty legit, and I'm sure don't feel good.

Yeah, they overplay the "agony", but I think most of the falls are pretty legit, and I'm sure don't feel good.

Fair enough... As I mentioned earlier, labeling me even a novice at soccer knowledge is probably giving me too much recognition. You obviously seem to know more than me.

I also felt that a player who commits the phantom fall where someone else dives should then, in turn, do their own dive right into the back of the original divers leg. I guarantee you that flopping would end pretty quickly.

I also felt that a player who commits the phantom fall where someone else dives should then, in turn, do their own dive right into the back of the original divers leg. I guarantee you that flopping would end pretty quickly.
Why do you care? How does it hurt you? they almost never get the call.

I will admit I basically watch zero soccer. Like I am talking almost none at all.

I actually watched the Argentina vs Croatia game yesterday because I was home, nothing else was on and while I was flicking around the channels I stumbled onto the pregame show talking about Messi. So hearing how Messi is possibly the best player in the game and all that I decided to give it a go.

Again, admittedly, my opinion is basically meaningless and I am so far from an expert on soccer unless you count watching one game beginning to end as being an expert.

But from what I seen yesterday, if Messi is the best player in the world then wow.. Soccer must be hurting. Is he overrated? Did he have a terrible game? What was the deal. I barely even noticed him on the field. I think he had one scoring chance from what I remember.

And I am sorry soccer fans... the stereotype of players acting like they were just hit with a sniper bullet every time they get grazed is 100% accurate. The amount of flopping in a game would make the Duke Blue Devils proud.

-Croatia is arguably the best defensive team in the world with easily the best midfield in the world. They put a choke collar on top players and teams. This had less to do with Messi as it had to do with Croatia's style of play. You either appreciate good defense or you do not. Croatia is kind of like Pitt in the golden years.

Reactions: pittiswhereiamfrom2
Why do you care? How does it hurt you? they almost never get the call.

They quite often get the call. I have seen both sides of it in my coaching career. Had a player on my daughter's Cup team that dove almost every time she got inside the 18 if she was even nudged. Funniest thing was she fell like a tree and it was so obvious but the refs gave us the call about 80% of the time.

Also have had girls on opposing team dive with nobody within 5 feet of them and get a call.

So, it has hurt "my teams" and helped "my teams".

They quite often get the call. I have seen both sides of it in my coaching career. Had a player on my daughter's Cup team that dove almost every time she got inside the 18 if she was even nudged. Funniest thing was she fell like a tree and it was so obvious but the refs gave us the call about 80% of the time.

Also have had girls on opposing team dive with nobody within 5 feet of them and get a call.

Serious question, Why do refs give the "divers" the calls? Is it simply because they can't see the whole field on their own?

To me, as a ref, my thoughts would turn to anger once I realized a diver snookered me into giving them a fake call.

I really don't go to bars, almost never, maybe 4-5 times a year. I had a beer at a bar about 3 weeks ago. Because the USA bar culture makes no sense? For most people you have to drive to a bar, driving after drinking is almost considered equal to murder, so how the hell can you really be a bar fly in this culture logistically, maybe 5-10% of the population lives close enough to walk to a bar. But if I lived 3-4 blocks or less from a bar, I might go more often. I grew up in western PA and everyone where I grew up knew and socialized with their neighbors, I've found that most of America isn't like that sadly. In the NORMAL COUNTRIES where people aren't AMERICANS they walk to the local pub and socialize with their neighbors, it's just called humanity and we have little of that in the USA.

You really should move to some non car driving, soccer loving nation. Nigeria sounds about right.

Pitt79, you should consider Lyft for trips to the bar. I can walk to bars when I want, but if you can't, that's a good option.

Serious question, Why do refs give the "divers" the calls? Is it simply because they can't see the whole field on their own?

Because many of the divers are good at what they do, so they know how to make it look like they got hit when in reality they were barely touched. The good divers know where the ref is and know when he is in a position that he is going to get screened by the players' bodies so it will be hard to tell exactly how much contact occurred. And of course the best divers anticipate contact and start their dive even before they opponent touches them, which is also very hard to spot at full game speed.

The people who run soccer hate change, simply hate it, but I wonder if they would consider going to two on field refs like hockey did, for the exact same reasons that hockey did. The game is too fast for one guy to see everything.

-Croatia is arguably the best defensive team in the world with easily the best midfield in the world. They put a choke collar on top players and teams. This had less to do with Messi as it had to do with Croatia's style of play. You either appreciate good defense or you do not. Croatia is kind of like Pitt in the golden years.
Pittsburgh was a lot like Croatia a hundred or so years ago.

Good for her! She gamed the system and won, I give her credit! I'd want her on my team!

Pitt79, you should consider Lyft for trips to the bar. I can walk to bars when I want, but if you can't, that's a good option.
To be honest, I don't care that much. If I could easily walk, I'd go, but if I need to pay a driver it's not that important. There's a bar about 7*8 blocks away, I honestly don't care enough to walk there. If it was maybe 2 blocks I would.

To be honest, I don't care that much. If I could easily walk, I'd go, but if I need to pay a driver it's not that important. There's a bar about 7*8 blocks away, I honestly don't care enough to walk there. If it was maybe 2 blocks I would.

Aren’t you the guy who’s had multiple duis?

Perhaps doing your drinking at home is best

Not really saying it bothers me. As I mentioned, I don't really watch soccer so I don't really care one way or the other. Just saying in that game, the players flopped all game long.

The game itself is not overwhelming with excitement, so the flopping around like tuna fish and the other drama queen acts on and off the field produce some viewable or attention getting events.

Finding soccer modestly more tolerable.........
The end to the Germany game was pretty good admittedly.

The people who run soccer hate change, simply hate it, but I wonder if they would consider going to two on field refs like hockey did, for the exact same reasons that hockey did. The game is too fast for one guy to see everything.

Don't have to worry about soccer being too fast for the refs. It seems for the most part they do a good job because of the relatively slow pace and spread out nature of the game.

As far as the flopping goes, it is an embarrassment in any sport when guys take a dive and act like they lost a limb to get a call, especially when there is minimal contact.

Don't have to worry about soccer being too fast for the refs. It seems for the most part they do a good job because of the relatively slow pace and spread out nature of the game.

As far as the flopping goes, it is an embarrassment in any sport when guys take a dive and act like they lost a limb to get a call, especially when there is minimal contact.

As yinz may or may not know, I am a huge hockey fan. And I know for a fact the ridiculous flopping and dramatic overselling of any bit of contact in soccer is one reason the NHL is hypersensitive to "diving" and why they give out penalties for embellishment.

As yinz may or may not know, I am a huge hockey fan. And I know for a fact the ridiculous flopping and dramatic overselling of any bit of contact in soccer is one reason the NHL is hypersensitive to "diving" and why they give out penalties for embellishment.
Flopping can result in a yellow card. Trying to deceive a referee into giving a penalty kick by flopping will result in a yellow is is an important fact, too many yellow cards in World Cup, and you sit.

The game itself is not overwhelming with excitement, so the flopping around like tuna fish and the other drama queen acts on and off the field produce some viewable or attention getting events.

Finding soccer modestly more tolerable.........
The end to the Germany game was pretty good admittedly.

Do you like and watch baseball? Because it amazes me that people watch baseball and think it's interesting and exciting, yet find soccer slow and boring?

I honestly cannot sit through a single AT BAT anymore, let alone a single inning, a game? Forget it, the only games I've tried to watch on TV simce 1992 where the Pirates playoff games 2013-2015, and it was rough, only able to tolerate it little bit because of the "P" and the black & gold.

Do you like and watch baseball? Because it amazes me that people watch baseball and think it's interesting and exciting, yet find soccer slow and boring?

I honestly cannot sit through a single AT BAT anymore, let alone a single inning, a game? Forget it, the only games I've tried to watch on TV simce 1992 where the Pirates playoff games 2013-2015, and it was rough, only able to tolerate it little bit because of the "P" and the black & gold.

I do....
and watching the Pittsburgh Nuttings is not the same as watching real MLB

But the stat gurus are ruining the game and admittedly a three hour contest where the ball is put in play, ie not a B.B., HR or K only about half the time now.........is for shite.
Endless strategy and shifts with every batter is mind numbingly boring as well..

Also have evolved on soccer by checking out EPL...mostly intriguing for the “show” itself more so than the product. The pre/post games, drama queens et al can be entertaining.

Watching a complete match is a stretch, but just parts is far more than ever watched before.....

I tried to be a casual Liverpool fan before, but ultimately without the interesting aspect of national pride on the line that exists in the Olympics and World Cup, I just don't love soccer enough to add it to my mostly basketball (and generalized Pitt) watching sports diet.

Flopping can result in a yellow card. Trying to deceive a referee into giving a penalty kick by flopping will result in a yellow is is an important fact, too many yellow cards in World Cup, and you sit.
I understand that. But they can't give out to everytime it happens or there would be no one left to finish the match.

I tried to be a casual Liverpool fan before, but ultimately without the interesting aspect of national pride on the line that exists in the Olympics and World Cup, I just don't love soccer enough to add it to my mostly basketball (and generalized Pitt) watching sports diet.
This part of why I am an MLS fan, even with the lower quality aspect, I can relate more to DC vs. NY or LA vs. Chicago than Liverpool vs. Man City, and I don't want to watch 7am games, I want 7pm games.

That's where I am with soccer. I just don't have the bandwith to get into and develop interest into a League soccer team, and all that goes with it. But on the International level, I do love the World Cup and the Europe Champions and the Olympics.

Woooah! Iran draws Portugal and nearly WON it with Iran hitting the side netting (I thought it was in) in the 95th minute which would have sent Portgual and Ronaldo home. I hope ER's in Lisbon are prepared because Portugal was inches away from being sent home.

Iran and Morocco, surprisingly played very well and very competitively in this group.

Last edited:
Woooah! Iran draws Portugal and nearly WON it with Iran hitting the side netting (I thought it was in) which would have sent Portgual and Ronaldo home. I hope ER's in Lisbon are prepared because Portugal was inches away from being sent home.

Iran and Morocco, surprisingly played very well and very competitively in this group.

-Portugal has always been lucky.

-But the bigger gripe is Spain. This team continues to get the refs gifts of giving in tournaments like Brazil used to get with free kicks, penalty kicks, etc... 2016 Euro's was one of the worst displays Ive ever seen, when Croatia beat Spain and the biased Spain refs to beat and knock them out. 2018 rematch Spain / Croatia looks inevitable in the quarter finals.

-There has been way to many penalty kicks in this tournament. The smaller countries are going to get hosed in the knockout stage by refs. I just see it coming but hope it doesnt come to that.

-Uruguay should beat Portugal in the 1st round.

-Iran and Morocco arent that good. More like Portugal and Spain arent favorites to win the World Cup.

The game is too fast for one guy to see everything.

And the field is far, far too big for one man. An entire basketball court can fit inside the 18 yard box. It is insane that they ask one guy to police 22 players who will and do cheat at every opportunity while covering that much ground. It should be two or three man crews (like PIAA), with ARs on the sidelines.

But if Pittsburgh had a soccer team in a world-class league, then would you?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT