ADVERTISEMENT

World Soccer Fans

IamHeisenberg

Freshman
Mar 21, 2013
Pantherlair soccer fans, is there any worldwide board like Pantherlair that you are on and participate in?

I have done a few over time and they usually end up as duds.

Looking for your success stories.

What a day today was. Although I picked Russia to beat Spain today because of it being hosted by Russia, I never truly believed it would happen. Spain deserved to lose. Gerard Pique knows better than that.

I also expected Croatia to win but not on PKs. I figured they would have blitzed Denamrk because I thought the Croats looked great in group play.

Mexico, Belgium, Sweden and reluctantly England are the rest of my picks. But England always finds a way to break your heart.

Pantherlair soccer fans, is there any worldwide board like Pantherlair that you are on and participate in?

I have done a few over time and they usually end up as duds.

Looking for your success stories.

What a day today was. Although I picked Russia to beat Spain today because of it being hosted by Russia, I never truly believed it would happen. Spain deserved to lose. Gerard Pique knows better than that.

I also expected Croatia to win but not on PKs. I figured they would have blitzed Denamrk because I thought the Croats looked great in group play.

Mexico, Belgium, Sweden and reluctantly England are the rest of my picks. But England always finds a way to break your heart.

I didnt think Russia would beat Spain but I cant say I am that surprised. Spain is down by their standards.

I had Belgium over Colombia in the finals.

I post on bigsoccer.com but very rarely. My problem with that board is that is way, way too popular. Threads get like thousands of replies and its just too hard to keep up with.

I post on bigsoccer.com but very rarely. My problem with that board is that is way, way too popular. Threads get like thousands of replies and its just too hard to keep up with.

I have an account, but I rarely post, and you're right, there are so many topics and categories, you don't know where to start.

I enjoy all the "name" teams (Germany, Argentina, Spain, Portugal), and stars (Messi, Renaldo) being upset to be honest. I hate when all the BEST TEAMS win as predicted, this WC has an NCAA Tourney feel with all the upsets.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Best World Cup Match ever? As Gus Johnson would say (and he actually could have said it if he didn't quit soccer a couple years ago): WHAT......A......GAME

The goal at the end reminded me of the USA goal to beat Algeria in 2010

That was fantastic. So much, so much better than the Mexico/Brazil match today and that Spain/Ruskie snoozefest yesterday.

Alright, here comes the stupid question....

What is it with the uniforms? There is no blue in Japan's colors, why did they wear Blue? Why did Germany wear Green? Etc.....

What is it with the uniforms? There is no blue in Japan's colors, why did they wear Blue? Why did Germany wear Green? Etc.....

Same thing with Australia wearing green and gold, Italy wearing blue, Netherlands wearing orange. Germany wore green in a friendly vs USA a few years ago and the announcers said why but I forget. I don't feel like googling it.

Best World Cup Match ever? As Gus Johnson would say (and he actually could have said it if he didn't quit soccer a couple years ago): WHAT......A......GAME

The goal at the end reminded me of the USA goal to beat Algeria in 2010
Belgium is my adopted team so needless to say I was thrilled. But what a game. For people who “try” to give soccer a go, this was the type of game for them to watch. And you’re right SMF, that was the first thing I thought of with that winning goal. It started with great goalkeeper distribution from my guy Courtois to EPL great DeBruyne who carried with speed through the midfield. Lukaku was out wide and made a diagonal run opening up the space for DeBruyne to spray the ball to the right flank. Then for Lukaku to dummy that ball as it came into the box...an absolute fabulous 115 yard play for a goal in 10 seconds on the last play of the game.

Congrats Belgium you now draw Brazil. Uh oh. That’s a round of 8 game that should be the final. Those were the two teams I had. Unfortunately the draw paired them too early.

If Lukaku, DeBruyne and Salah has stayed at Chelsea, they’d have won two champions leagues with that core.

I respect that you’re not a big soccer fan, but you know the game and at least give it a fair shot.

Same thing with Australia wearing green and gold, Italy wearing blue, Netherlands wearing orange. Germany wore green in a friendly vs USA a few years ago and the announcers said why but I forget. I don't feel like googling it.
Well I know the Italians always have worn blue (The Azurri). And the Dutch have always been the Oranj. (Orange) even though their flag is red, whit et bleu. But those go back decades.

Italian international sports teams wear blue because it dates to pre-Italian Republican "Italy". It was the colors of the House of Savoia.

Orange is obviously as mentioned, always been the color of the Dutch since the house of Orange-Nassau, and part of their national flag.

That German green away jersey doesn't have a good story, it was just a secondary kit color they used in the 50s-80s that they bring back for nostalgia I think?

Australia's national colors are green and gold, even though they're not on their flag. They've worn them for sport for over 100 years, just really a tradition at this point.

No clue on Japan!

Italian international sports teams wear blue because it dates to pre-Italian Republican "Italy". It was the colors of the House of Savoia.

Orange is obviously as mentioned, always been the color of the Dutch since the house of Orange-Nassau, and part of their national flag.

That German green away jersey doesn't have a good story, it was just a secondary kit color they used in the 50s-80s that they bring back for nostalgia I think?

Australia's national colors are green and gold, even though they're not on their flag. They've worn them for sport for over 100 years, just really a tradition at this point.

No clue on Japan!
Thanks. I knew the orange also was a symbol of resistance against the Nazi invasion in WWII and the royal family colors. Didn’t know why Italy wore blue but I knew their national team was referred to as the Azurri (blues) and remember this was their uniforms way back in 1986 when they won the World Cup with the great Paulo Rossi. Yes. I knew this without googling it. :)

Lol. I am really good at this.
Well it’s soccer. You wouldn’t expect three goals in 20 minutes, right? Lol.

Belgium has too much fire power. I held hope that they would tie it. And then I felt good when the announcers said that Japan wasn’t built to sit in and defend. So I figured the game would stay wide open.

I also like the fact that I told my daughter, when Felliani came in, that he he would bring strong play in the air and they may look to serve balls in...especially since the Japanese lacked height. Whoever the color guy was didn’t pick up on that nugget. I did...The smuck from the 412 with limited pro and international soccer knowledge.

Well I know the Italians always have worn blue (The Azurri). And the Dutch have always been the Oranj. (Orange) even though their flag is red, whit et bleu. But those go back decades.

-Watching this tournament. Belgium is absolute dangerous, they can score. Croatia, as I said pre-tournament, is absolute dangerous, they dont give up goals very often. Brazil team to beat.. Brazil / Belgium match is exciting.....

-Croatia black is (and they continue to wear) also very different from red / white checkered history

-the top is more stacked the then the bottom

-Portugal and Spain have proven frauds, and both were garbage as I predicted.

There is no blue in Japan's colors, why did they wear Blue?

Japan has basically worn blue since day one. I don't know why they started wearing it, but they have worn it as either the primary color or the trim color since before WW2. They switched to red for a short time, and they apparently were pretty bad in those years, so they switched back to the blue and have been that way since.

They actually call the team the "Samurai Blue" now, so at this point it would be hard for them to switch.

Japan has basically worn blue since day one. I don't know why they started wearing it, but they have worn it as either the primary color or the trim color since before WW2. They switched to red for a short time, and they apparently were pretty bad in those years, so they switched back to the blue and have been that way since.

They actually call the team the "Samurai Blue" now, so at this point it would be hard for them to switch.

OK, didn't know their history, they haven't been much on the international scene. Maybe the USA should wear black n gold? No? Or is it me?

Belgium has too much fire power. I held hope that they would tie it. And then I felt good when the announcers said that Japan wasn’t built to sit in and defend. So I figured the game would stay wide open.

I also like the fact that I told my daughter, when Felliani came in, that he he would bring strong play in the air and they may look to serve balls in...especially since the Japanese lacked height. Whoever the color guy was didn’t pick up on that nugget. I did...The smuck from the 412 with limited pro and international soccer knowledge.

Had thought the exact same thing about Fellaini. This seemed like the perfect game for him to get the start.

I would like to see the Belgians go deep as well, but De Bruyne doesn’t seem to be in good form to me, and so much of their stuff seems to run through him.

That being sad the +170 on Belgium to advance looks like a bargain to me, maybe even get a little better number closer to match time.

Had thought the exact same thing about Fellaini. This seemed like the perfect game for him to get the start.

I would like to see the Belgians go deep as well, but De Bruyne doesn’t seem to be in good form to me, and so much of their stuff seems to run through him.

That being sad the +170 on Belgium to advance looks like a bargain to me, maybe even get a little better number closer to match time.

Belgium has better players than Brazil.

I agree with BF’s point though. KDB has not looked in form yet, but he did look good on the game winner yesterday. And Brazil looks to be playing a complete game right now, where as Belgium looked vulnerable yesterday, especially down the flanks. And yet the 2nd goal for Japan came centrally. Willian and Neymar out wide, and all the other talent from brazil worries me.

Btw, SMF, not sure if you heard this yet, but Willian is likely on the move to Manchester United. Mourinho wants him. Chelsea rejected one bid already but are not against moving him. As a replacement, chelsea is looking at Christian Pulisic! Although Pulisic is not the player that Willian is yet, I’d love to see that happen as a Chelsea fan.

I agree with BF’s point though. KDB has not looked in form yet, but he did look good on the game winner yesterday. And Brazil looks to be playing a complete game right now, where as Belgium looked vulnerable yesterday, especially down the flanks. And yet the 2nd goal for Japan came centrally. Willian and Neymar out wide, and all the other talent from brazil worries me.

Btw, SMF, not sure if you heard this yet, but Willian is likely on the move to Manchester United. Mourinho wants him. Chelsea rejected one bid already but are not against moving him. As a replacement, chelsea is looking at Christian Pulisic! Although Pulisic is not the player that Willian is yet, I’d love to see that happen as a Chelsea fan.

Belgium looked vulnerable yesterday and were killing them down that right side but I think it was more a matter of Japan surprising them. I'm not a believer that Brazil is back yet. This is a team that struggled its way through the last WC and didn't make it out of its group at Copa America Centenario. Mexico was better than them for a half yesterday. If Belgium plays its best game, they will win.

As for Pulisic, I worry he may not start at Chelsea. They already have one Yank (Matt Miazga) who they continually loan out. I dont want to see Pulisic become a squad player.

Belgium looked vulnerable yesterday and were killing them down that right side but I think it was more a matter of Japan surprising them. I'm not a believer that Brazil is back yet. This is a team that struggled its way through the last WC and didn't make it out of its group at Copa America Centenario. Mexico was better than them for a half yesterday. If Belgium plays its best game, they will win.

As for Pulisic, I worry he may not start at Chelsea. They already have one Yank (Matt Miazga) who they continually loan out. I dont want to see Pulisic become a squad player.
Chelsea could be both good and bad. To play for a top Club in England is not a chance many Americans get, plus he will have a chance to win trophies. The downside is Chelsea’s loan philosophy and inability to commit to young talent. A few years ago Chelsea had Hazard, DeBruyne, Salah, and Lukaku all signed and in chelsea uniforms. But they didn’t want to commit to any of them, except Hazard, because they had guys like Oscar, Willian, Diego Costa, etc.. Would they do the same without Puliscic? Very possibly. But also the new manager from Napoli coming in has a reputation for developing and relying on young talent. We shall see.

It would be big for Chelsea to bring in Pulisic in my opinion as it opens up the US market for them more. Manchester United was smart years ago when they strategically captured a big chunk of the Asian market before anyone else, and its paying financial dividends for them. Chelsea would be wise to get Pulisic and keep him through his prime. They would be wise to have The top US player in 2026 as well, whoever that might be.

Chelsea could be both good and bad. To play for a top Club in England is not a chance many Americans get, plus he will have a chance to win trophies. The downside is Chelsea’s loan philosophy and inability to commit to young talent. A few years ago Chelsea had Hazard, DeBruyne, Salah, and Lukaku all signed and in chelsea uniforms. But they didn’t want to commit to any of them, except Hazard, because they had guys like Oscar, Willian, Diego Costa, etc.. Would they do the same without Puliscic? Very possibly. But also the new manager from Napoli coming in has a reputation for developing and relying on young talent. We shall see.

It would be big for Chelsea to bring in Pulisic in my opinion as it opens up the US market for them more. Manchester United was smart years ago when they strategically captured a big chunk of the Asian market before anyone else, and its paying financial dividends for them. Chelsea would be wise to get Pulisic and keep him through his prime. They would be wise to have The top US player in 2026 as well, whoever that might be.

Honestly, I hope he stays at Dortmund. Its one of the biggest clubs in the world (though a step below Chelsea). I don't have a lot of confidence that he will play every week at Chelsea and as much as I like him, I don't think he is at that level yet. Maybe Chelsea is trying to buy him low and loan him out or have him sit a few years before he reaches his prime? For Pulisic, I don't think that would be smart but he doesn't have much say.

England win in penalties. Something I never thought I'd type. They deserved it though. Although I fancied this Colombian side, the 3 Lions were the best team on the pitch and that lad made one heck of a save. The loss of James was really felt today. Colombia was dominated in the middle of the park without him. Ashame he couldn’t recover from that knock he picked up.

(tried to maximize usage of English soccer verbage)

It's wide open right now. Lots of wildcards at play. The top and bottom of the bracket are very unevenly matched. I'm going for England, g/f is English, but overall I think any of the 4 teams on the top half can win it. So much talent. Croatia could be the wildcard.

Honestly, I hope he stays at Dortmund. Its one of the biggest clubs in the world (though a step below Chelsea). I don't have a lot of confidence that he will play every week at Chelsea and as much as I like him, I don't think he is at that level yet. Maybe Chelsea is trying to buy him low and loan him out or have him sit a few years before he reaches his prime? For Pulisic, I don't think that would be smart but he doesn't have much say.
Just read that Tottenham is also a suitor for Christian. So now he has 4 of the top 6 clubs in England linked to him. That’s a big deal. And based on history, Spurs may actually be the best fit for him as they’ve always seemed to commit to youth. Still personally hoping for Chelsea but would be ok with Spurs.

Additionally, ironic that Chelsea rejects a Man U bid for Willian and now Barcelona has entered the fray. Chelsea said to be asking 70-80 mil for him.

England win in penalties. Something I never thought I'd type. They deserved it though. Although I fancied this Colombian side, the 3 Lions were the best team on the pitch and that lad made one heck of a save. The loss of James was really felt today. Colombia was dominated in the middle of the park without him. Ashame he couldn’t recover from that knock he picked up.

I’m rooting for England to get to the final, but they remind me of Mexico. Their fans think they have a chance every 4 years but they simply aren’t good enough. Ever. But this year, the bracket broke for England. Get to the final and then anything can happen. The top 4 teams left are on the left side (Belgium, France, Brazil and Uruguay). And then the 5th best team left is probably Croatia on England’s side of the bracket.

Speaking of England’s side, I think Sweden is a subject that should be studied by the US Soccer brass. They play a 4-4-2 or 4-4-1 system and know who they are. They don’t try to possess out of the back and all players and coaches buy into what they do. They play the same system throughout the country. If the US did this, they could give people fits, just like Sweden has. The US can play with a big strong forward and pair him with a skilled fast shifty player like Pulisic.

I’m rooting for England to get to the final, but they remind me of Mexico. Their fans think they have a chance every 4 years but they simply aren’t good enough. Ever. But this year, the bracket broke for England. Get to the final and then anything can happen. The top 4 teams left are on the left side (Belgium, France, Brazil and Uruguay). And then the 5th best team left is probably Croatia on England’s side of the bracket.

Speaking of England’s side, I think Sweden is a subject that should be studied by the US Soccer brass. They play a 4-4-2 or 4-4-1 system and know who they are. They don’t try to possess out of the back and all players and coaches buy into what they do. They play the same system throughout the country. If the US did this, they could give people fits, just like Sweden has. The US can play with a big strong forward and pair him with a skilled fast shifty player like Pulisic.

I'd rather Pulisic go to Tottenham over Chelsea. I just hope they dont make the move until he plays in Pittsburgh.

I have mixed feelings on England. I used to root hard for them in past World Cups as they were my adopted #2 team but I cant get behind this team. I dont know why. I think this is the least talented England team since I can remember and they've had an unbelievably easy draw. I am actually rooting against them.

I'd rather Pulisic go to Tottenham over Chelsea. I just hope they dont make the move until he plays in Pittsburgh.

I have mixed feelings on England. I used to root hard for them in past World Cups as they were my adopted #2 team but I cant get behind this team. I dont know why. I think this is the least talented England team since I can remember and they've had an unbelievably easy draw. I am actually rooting against them.
The England squad is made up of almost entirely EPL players, making them “elite” in many ways. And we talk in this country about the US taking the next step in soccer. But this year not withstanding, englands WC results aren’t all that different than ours. I remember tying them in 2010 and getting to the knock out round and possibly could have got to the semifinal that year. Not bad for a country in which soccer is our #4 or #5 sport.

At this point there is a better chance he doesn't go anywhere this year than he goes to any of the teams rumored to be interested in him. Dortmund don't want to sell him. He has said on several occasions that he doesn't want to leave yet. Someone is going to have to agree to ridiculously overpay for him to convince both Dortmund and Pulisic and his father to make a move now. Pulisic's father knows the game, and he knows that going somewhere like Chelsea and sitting on the bench all the time rather than being a regular starter on a Champions League team is not in the best interests of his son.

Now it should also be said that it's international soccer, so there is a chance that someone will step up and agree to ridiculously overpay for him. But at this point that seems unlikely.

The England squad is made up of almost entirely EPL players, making them “elite” in many ways. And we talk in this country about the US taking the next step in soccer. But this year not withstanding, englands WC results aren’t all that different than ours. I remember tying them in 2010 and getting to the knock out round and possibly could have got to the semifinal that year. Not bad for a country in which soccer is our #4 or #5 sport.

I loved that Gerrard/Lampard/Beckham/Terry/Ferdinand generation. So much talent. Pretty much everyone was on one of the EPL's Big 4. But they greatly underachieved. This English teams seems much less talented and they haven't beaten anyone yet. Drawing Colombia without James and advancing on penalties isn't tjat impressive.

ADVERTISEMENT