ADVERTISEMENT

Worst attended Pitt game at Heinz/Acrisure?

I know it was a bottom rung team. But did anyone catch any shots of the Miami game? There couldn't have been 20K in that stadium. Yet they "announced" it at 47K or something. I saw that Miami has averaged 55K over the past 5 years and I have seen the "U" enough to know they are lucky to get 35K for many games.

I’m a season tix holder, have been for three decades. Myself and I’d bet the great majority of other STH) do it out of the interest to support the program. I’m not concerned in the least if Pitt would charge peanuts to fill the remainder of the seats that are unsold. I would be happy for Pitt that they are getting some additional revenue, and putting more butt’s in the seats that would otherwise be empty. I don’t buy my season tix as a way to save money on face value with envy or anger that someone might be getting a ‘better deal’ than me.

Exactly. For years, you could go to just about any game for $6 on StubHub. That was the minimum fee they charged to list tickets and there were plenty of them available. I assume anyone who knew how to use the internet knew that. But it was about supporting the program when we bought season tickets. Give the vacant seats away for free, for all I care. Just get asses in the seats.

Now, they might have other motives when it comes to creating demand, so I'll trust the process if that is the case. But if they're worried about us getting mad an no longer buying season tickets, that would suck.

I know it was a bottom rung team. But did anyone catch any shots of the Miami game? There couldn't have been 20K in that stadium. Yet they "announced" it at 47K or something. I saw that Miami has averaged 55K over the past 5 years and I have seen the "U" enough to know they are lucky to get 35K for many games.

the one thing many of the national guys do to their credit is acknowledge it isn't an apples to apples comparison in attendance for schools like Pitt, UCLA, Miami, GaTech against LSU, Wisconsin, Oklahoma, etc. It is only the local idiots that don't comprehend.

Tarping is the only solution. it didn't look bad in Charlotte and I think it could work here. I thought it's been said Narduzzi was opposed to it? One school of thought is that if you make Heinz a 52k stadium for Pitt football, then it stays a 52k stadium even for WVU, ND, Clemson, etc. Keeps the ticket valuation constant and never cheapens them

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
I've always been a proponent of a smaller, on-campus stadium. But I've sort of come around to the idea that Heinz is OK. No, it was far from full yesterday but the atmosphere was still very good and it looked pretty full.

The problem is games against lesser opponents in and out of conference play where we see closer to 40K.

Reactions: cbpitt2
It's a bad formula. The stadium is way too big for the fan base. And then the season tickets are so cheap that out of towners, or even opposing fans, will buy them and then only attend a few games.

Smaller stadium = more demand = pricier tickets that people won't be so content to just eat when they don't feel like going or can't make it.
Visiting fans support pitt better than some of the most vocal posters on this topic (who don’t buy season tickets or donate ) despite being regional

Exactly. For years, you could go to just about any game for $6 on StubHub. That was the minimum fee they charged to list tickets and there were plenty of them available. I assume anyone who knew how to use the internet knew that. But it was about supporting the program when we bought season tickets. Give the vacant seats away for free, for all I care. Just get asses in the seats.

Now, they might have other motives when it comes to creating demand, so I'll trust the process if that is the case. But if they're worried about us getting mad an no longer buying season tickets, that would suck.
I dont think they're as worried about STH getting mad as their worried that they will stop buying season tickets and instead buy $10 upper corner tickets for every game but the 1 big game per year. Honestly, Pitt feels its just not worth a fuller stadium to risk losing season ticket holders, who they are charging WAY more than market value, but people like me happily pay to support the program.

Pitt has decided that it simply is not in the single game ticket market. They aren't stupid. They know nobody is buying a random single game ticket for Tennessee, or GT or Rhody or Syracuse. They want to give every possible reason to sell the season ticket. They are saying buy the whole season or we dont want you here. That's the strategy. The stadium is so much bigger than our needs, they would have to DRASTICALLY reduce single games to like $5 or $10 to come close to filling it. And that risks the season ticket base.

There is no solution other than a right-sized stadium. On or off campus isnt the issue. Size is.

I dont think they're as worried about STH getting mad as their worried that they will stop buying season tickets and instead buy $10 upper corner tickets for every game but the 1 big game per year. Honestly, Pitt feels its just not worth a fuller stadium to risk losing season ticket holders, who they are charging WAY more than market value, but people like me happily pay to support the program.

Pitt has decided that it simply is not in the single game ticket market. They aren't stupid. They know nobody is buying a random single game ticket for Tennessee, or GT or Rhody or Syracuse. They want to give every possible reason to sell the season ticket. They are saying buy the whole season or we dont want you here. That's the strategy. The stadium is so much bigger than our needs, they would have to DRASTICALLY reduce single games to like $5 or $10 to come close to filling it. And that risks the season ticket base.

There is no solution other than a right-sized stadium. On or off campus isnt the issue. Size is.

Well that was my point. I knew I could get them cheaper via different means, but I still bought/buy season tickets. I assume many are like me, judging by how many people have always bought season tickets and not showed up (even when you could get $6 tickets for just about every game). They could have hand-selected the games they were attending for way less money. So why would they stop buying them now if single uppers are suddenly less than $100?

I mean, there's still a medium ground to be had. Just charge like $50 for single uppers against every P5 team and $30 for G5/FCS. My two season tickets in the lower level were only like $400-something. So you're still saving money buying season... and getting a better seat. But the single are still affordable for everyone else. Makes too much sense, I guess.

Well that was my point. I knew I could get them cheaper via different means, but I still bought/buy season tickets. I assume many are like me, judging by how many people have always bought season tickets and not showed up (even when you could get $6 tickets for just about every game). They could have hand-selected the games they were attending for way less money. So why would they stop buying them now if single uppers are suddenly less than $100?

I mean, there's still a medium ground to be had. Just charge like $50 for single uppers against every P5 team and $30 for G5/FCS. My two season tickets in the lower level were only like $400-something. So you're still saving money buying season... and getting a better seat. But the single are still affordable for everyone else. Makes too much sense, I guess.
Literally nobody is buying a single upper for Syr, Duke, GT, probably not even Tennessee. For $10, yea, but only if its heavily advertised. And $30 for nosebleeds vs Rhody? They wont sell 1. Pitt doesn't market to the casual Yinzer. The casual Yinzer will spend $10 for Pitt nosebleeds, not much more. So Pitt says we dont want you then.

The only other contender was the game against Navy on a Wednesday night in 2007 that we lost in overtime.

It's dumb enough to play on Wednesday in the first place. But then you schedule a game against Navy, who on a Saturday might send up a bunch of buses full of midshipmen to the game, on a Wednesday and that wins the prize for the stupidest home game at Heinz.
Was that the game where Wanny had our D lineman like 3 yards off the line of scrimmage?

I thought the crowd Saturday was very good. I was hoping the visitor upper deck would maybe be a little more filled, but it was a solid, very loud crowd overall. I mentioned this in another thread, but the crowd got complemented on ESPN's college football final program.

Literally nobody is buying a single upper for Syr, Duke, GT, probably not even Tennessee. For $10, yea, but only if its heavily advertised. And $30 for nosebleeds vs Rhody? They wont sell 1. Pitt doesn't market to the casual Yinzer. The casual Yinzer will spend $10 for Pitt nosebleeds, not much more. So Pitt says we dont want you then.

Plenty of people were looking to buy singles to the last game. If they weren't, such a big deal wouldn't have been made out of it. For $50, they would have sold more. And okay... charge $15 for Rhode Island. Agreed $30 is too high. My main point was that charging $50 for singles (about half of what they were charging for Tennessee) isn't going to cause people to stop buying season tickets. It just isn't.

If your theory that they only want people who buy season tickets at the games was true, they wouldn't have sold out of them. They would make more available. So that makes no sense.

Last edited:

That’s exactly right. You could be a wheeler dealer and aim for the bestest price each week, but I already find the price of our ST are a bargain even with the donation level required. It’s worth knowing i have the tix and I know where the seats are for each game. I really don’t even think of the price each year, I just renew/ pay like I would any other periodic bill. If they’d rise to Steelers ticket prices I’m sure I’d think more about it, but in three decades that hasn’t happened so I’m not sweating over it.

Plenty of people were looking to buy singles to the last game. If they weren't, such a big deal wouldn't have been made out of it. For $50, they would have sold more. And okay... charge $15 for Rhode Island. Agreed $30 is too high. My main point was that charging $50 for singles (about half of what they were charging for Tennessee) isn't going to cause people to stop buying season tickets. It just isn't.

If your theory that they only want people who buy season tickets at the games was true, they wouldn't have sold out of them. They would make more available. So that makes no sense.
They didn't really sell out of season tickets. More misinformation. They opened up single game tickets for WVU and every WVU ticket that was sold meant that was one less season ticket available. So, I mean, ok, they arent really lying when they say there arent any season tickets left. But its very misleading since they couldn't sell 20K or so of them due to the huge demand in WVU singles. I think, in hindsight, had Pitt had a better understanding of the massive Brawl demand, they would have sold season tickets until maybe a week before the game, maybe 3-4 days before the game to get as many as they could.

And to reply to the other point, I mean nobody is buying single game tickets for the prices they charge. For $25, Pete from Pitcairn might have gone to Pitt/Ten. For $10, he'll go to Pitt/GT.

once again, you can't devalue the season ticket by charging cheap prices for single game tickets. Season tickets are what drive attendance, not walkups. So I have no problem charging $50 or whatever for a Rhode Island ticket. Don't like it? Buy season tickets which are a better value.

once again, you can't devalue the season ticket by charging cheap prices for single game tickets. Season tickets are what drive attendance, not walkups. So I have no problem charging $50 or whatever for a Rhode Island ticket. Don't like it? Buy season tickets which are a better value.

I agree with not devaluing the season tickets. I just think there is middle ground to be had. My season tickets were like 225/each down below. So that comes out to 32/game in over-simplified math. So no need to charge $100 for Tennessee uppers... charge $50.

I realize each opponent is a different value, but if season uppers are 175 each then I disagree with charging 100 for one game.

I agree with not devaluing the season tickets. I just think there is middle ground to be had. My season tickets were like 225/each down below. So that comes out to 32/game in over-simplified math. So no need to charge $100 for Tennessee uppers... charge $50.

I realize each opponent is a different value, but if season uppers are 175 each then I disagree with charging 100 for one game.
No Yinzer is buying Pitt/Ten nosebleeds for $50.

Count me then as a literally nobody. I bought a single yesterday in 508 row D for $50 plus an additional $20 in fees (grrrr) from Stubhub at 2 p.m. That was less than buying through Pitt and Pitt had ticket problems. I did the same for Clemson last year.

How often does an SEC team play at Pitt? Have you ever looked at what tickets cost at other schools? Tennessee was a rare big-time match-up against an SEC team.

Now in 2025 when Clemson and Notre Dame come here, I'll go back to buying a season ticket.

there was a virginia game about 4-5 years ago at heinz that was really bad. i was there and man there couldnt have been 8k fans there. In pitt fans' defense, it was a cold rain and absolutely miserable to be at. i was there and questioned that decision.

there was a virginia game about 4-5 years ago at heinz that was really bad. i was there and man there couldnt have been 8k fans there. In pitt fans' defense, it was a cold rain and absolutely miserable to be at. i was there and questioned that decision.

I remember that one. I think that's when we were still where the students sit now, so we elected to move up top to get out of the elements. We returned a punt for a touchdown, had at least one goal line stand, and won handily. I think DiNucci played pretty well... something I didn't say very often that season.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
Why not? Don't the Pirates charge at least $30 for weekend uppers? $50 for a football game between two ranked teams is hardly unreasonable. Inflation is a thing.
The Pirates have an extremely large casual fanbase. Heck, I absolutely despise the Pirates and the sport of baseball but I go to 1-2 games per year for a family night out.

Count me then as a literally nobody. I bought a single yesterday in 508 row D for $50 plus an additional $20 in fees (grrrr) from Stubhub at 2 p.m. That was less than buying through Pitt and Pitt had ticket problems. I did the same for Clemson last year.

How often does an SEC team play at Pitt? Have you ever looked at what tickets cost at other schools? Tennessee was a rare big-time match-up against an SEC team.

Now in 2025 when Clemson and Notre Dame come here, I'll go back to buying a season ticket.
You didn't buy through Pitt. That was my point. There is 0 market for single game tickets at Pitt's price points. Now, through Stubhub, yes, several thousand buy through there.

Buy season tickets donate them to Tickets For Kids for games you can’t make

Buy season tickets donate them to Tickets For Kids for games you can’t make

I've been buying season tickets for over 20 years and haven't missed a game in at least six. But far too many people are content with buying season tickets, attending two or three games per season, and feeling like that's a job well done.

I've been buying season tickets for over 20 years and haven't missed a game in at least six. But far too many people are content with buying season tickets, attending two or three games per season, and feeling like that's a job well done.
There are posters in this thread who don’t buy season tickets and haven’t for years
They get so mad about it getting pointed out they put me on ignore

There are posters in this thread who don’t buy season tickets and haven’t for years
honestly, i cant for the life of me figure out why pitt fans are soo obsessed with attendance. who really cares. if you go to the game then go and have fun and if you watch it at home then so be it, who cares?

but i'll agree with you that if you are watching it at home then you cant complain about attendance. i dont care if you are out of town, out of state, you lost that right. i honestly havent had season tix in years and i go to a few games and watch a few games on tv and the games i dont go to, the attendance is the last thing in the world i care about.

Did anyone notice that the student section was spearheading the excitement for most of the game, then it was half empty at the start of overtime? What's with that?

Did anyone notice that the student section was spearheading the excitement for most of the game, then it was half empty at the start of overtime? What's with that?
It was still at least 80% full .
But there is always some early departs since the busses fill quickly after the games

it’s still 100% better now than it ever was at Pitt stadium -
When half the students wouldn’t show until the 2nd quarter and then they’d still leave early -

Frankly the students are the least of our CRowd issues

I didn't buy season tickets for the Chryst era. Maybe the first year I did, cant remember but definitely not the last 2. Those were my only years without season tickets in 25 years or so. Still went to most games but for cheap. I was disgusted with the program.

I am not a Pitt fan just someone who lives in Pittsburgh and watches the games when on TV.

I actually wanted to go on Saturday but I was turned off by the $75 they were charging for upper deck sideline seats on Ticketmaster from the Pitt website. Since the price turned me off I didn’t bother to look at StubHub or alternative ticketing sites. This is the perspective of me as a casual watcher.

The price turned me off especially when I saw the number of unsold seats in the upper deck.

Reactions: NKSplitter
I thought Tennessee would be a bigger draw, but it felt right around the usual capacity crowd of 48,000. I know Pitt isn't into using tarps, but tarping off the upper deck end zone some of the upper deck sidelines to get the capacity between 45-48,000 would give Pitt an appropriate size for the fanbase. Either that or just accept there will be 20-25,000 empty seats on a weekly basis.

Again, there just is not that many college football fans in the area.

And the notion that casual college football fans would pay even $10 to go to Pitt versus Rhode Island is ridiculous.

The only game this season that there was any real chance to sell any significant number of tickets to casual fans was the West Virginia game. And we didn't need the help with that one.

Reactions: PittPharm2002
And the notion that casual college football fans would pay even $10 to go to Pitt versus Rhode Island is ridiculous.

The only game this season that there was any real chance to sell any significant number of tickets to casual fans was the West Virginia game. And we didn't need the help with that one.
Pitt wouldn't sell out Rhody if tickets were 1 penny. If tickets were $10 for Tennessee, they may have. Casual yinzers would have gone to that game if tickets were dirt cheap. Now, if they were $10 for GT, maybe they sell 2500-5000 singles.

Pitt wouldn't sell out Rhody if tickets were 1 penny. If tickets were $10 for Tennessee, they may have. Casual yinzers would have gone to that game if tickets were dirt cheap. Now, if they were $10 for GT, maybe they sell 2500-5000 singles.

There is no way that Pitt sells even close to 2,500 - 5,000 extra tickets for a game against Georgia Tech if the tickets were $10.

This notion that there are all sorts of casual Pittsburghers who would just love to go to a Pitt game but are being turned off by the price of tickets is nuts.

Even by your standards.

There is no way that Pitt sells even close to 2,500 - 5,000 extra tickets for a game against Georgia Tech if the tickets were $10.

This notion that there are all sorts of casual Pittsburghers who would just love to go to a Pitt game but are being turned off by the price of tickets is nuts.

Even by your standards.
Normally, I'd agree but for a Top 25 ACC Champ team, I do think casual fans would come out for $10.

Even by your standards.
What if there were more fireworks?

• Love
ADVERTISEMENT