ADVERTISEMENT

Would any of you take Sean Miller over Jeff Capel?

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
I know nobody hates Sean Miller like Pantherlairians because he screwed over a very bad basketball administration 25 years ago and his dad said mean things in a Trib article 6 years ago, and didn't make a Final Four (the bum only made 3 Elite 8's, the nerve on him) but just wondering if any of you would take him, if that was the way we could afford a buyout.

Lets play this out. Miller is not very attractive to P6 programs right now due to baggage. Perhaps he wants to get back into college coaching and get back into it at his alma mater. He DID want the job in 2018. Maybe he takes an extreme discount to get back to the P6 level? Like $1 million per year plus lucrative incentives? That would be way below the going rate for a P6 coach but given his baggage, he will not get more than that coaching at the mid-major level or being an assistant in the NBA.

Archie at NC State and Sean at Pitt? Makes far too much sense for the ACC.

Just thinking of ways to minimize the buyout in a sense. I kinda doubt Miller would discount himself like that but if we are going to give Capel a bank vault to not coach, going super cheap on established hometown coach, who, despite what you want to believe, will create excitement, and will sell tickets would be a way to recoup some of the buyout. If he hired Tray Woodall (who has a Top 115 committed to Fordham) or Ricky Greer, I think people would be overjoyed.

Last edited:
I know nobody hates Sean Miller like Pantherlairians because he screwed over a very bad basketball administration 25 years ago and his dad said mean things in a Trib article 6 years ago, and didn't make a Final Four (the bum only made 3 Elite 8's, the nerve on him) but just wondering if any of you would take him, if that was the way we could afford a buyout.

Lets play this out. Miller is not very attractive to P6 programs right now due to baggage. Perhaps he wants to get back into college coaching and get back into it at his alma mater. He DID want the job in 2018. Maybe he takes an extreme discount to get back to the P6 level? Like $1 million per year plus lucrative incentives? That would be way below the going rate for a P6 coach but given his baggage, he will not get more than that coaching at the mid-major level or being an assistant in the NBA.

Archie at NC State and Sean at Pitt? Makes far too much sense for the ACC.
I believe there is no chance that Sean Miller would replaces Jeff Capel.

Reactions: PittPharm2002
I believe there is no chance that Sean Miller would replaces Jeff Capel.

Probably but he wanted it in 2018 and Lyke came somewhat close to hiring him. Thinking outside the box if we have to pay Capel more than $10 million to go away. Maybe a Miller discount could be an option

Reactions: Hail2PittPanthers
Probably but he wanted it in 2018 and Lyke came somewhat close to hiring him. Thinking outside the box if we have to pay Capel more than $10 million to go away. Maybe a Miller discount could be an option
It is not an option.

• Haha
Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Post this thread on the NC State board and replace Capel/Keatts. That’s where he will coach next if it’s in the ACC

giphy.gif

I’d take Sean Miller, hell even Sean Miller Fan, over Capel. Both are probably just as likely though.
I will take the job for my current salary and use the cost savings to hire a top Associate Head Coach for $2 million/year and top recruiter for $2 million per year. We'd be in the NCAA Tournament in 2 years.

Honestly though, I was thinking about this for a program like Duquesne (though Pitt is approaching "hopeless territory" where maybe we should be considering these outlandish ideas):

- hire a WPIAL/D2/D3 coach and pay them next to nothing. Use the cost savings to have the highest paid assistant coaches and recruiters in the nation. It sounds insane but you look at a guy like Nate Oats, who went from HS coach to HC at Buffalo in 24 months. There are clearly HS or D2/D3 guys out there who are just as good as X'ing and O'ing. A program like Duquesne needs players more than anything. If they can give a HS or D3 coach their big break and pay them $100K or whatever and spend big money on a staff, that might be better than whatever else they tried the last 50 years.

Reactions: Ronnyp91
Let's see. Surely we are
getting an objective viewpoint
on this topic by the originator
of this thread. Hmmmm, I
just noticed this infamous
poster shares the same
name as the coach he's now
recommending to become
Pitt's next coach. Gee whiz,
I must really be slow for
taking so long to recognize
this.;)

Disagreeing is the heart of any healthy discussion. I would take either Miller in a New York minute. We are one the worst power 5 teams in America and we are saying 2 coaches who are proven winners aren’ good enough for our program. One is a cheater, well cheating is now legal, how is that for a comment., yes cheating is legal why not get someone who will get players in here. The other argument is we have a guy coaching here now who cheated but Sean is to corrupt to coach here. I maintain you either jump in the game with both feet or get used to being one of the worst teams in the country. The people who are the I won’ support him or root for him can’t be that many because very few people are supporting this program now. Bruce Pearl seems to be doing ok at one of the Least supported basketball schools in the country. We need to get real about this situation. The program might be at its lowest point and we are holding grudges from 30 years ago.Either Miller would correct this situation within 2 years, if you want to win, if you don’t well get used to what you are watching . My last comment, and I am sure this one will anger many of the posters. I don’t think either Miller would be interested in this mess so we won’t have to worry about it. The delusional people who mentioned Pitino will now have to put their support behind another realistic candidate, maybe Calipari

Disagreeing is the heart of any healthy discussion. I would take either Miller in a New York minute. We are one the worst power 5 teams in America and we are saying 2 coaches who are proven winners aren’ good enough for our program. One is a cheater, well cheating is now legal, how is that for a comment., yes cheating is legal why not get someone who will get players in here. The other argument is we have a guy coaching here now who cheated but Sean is to corrupt to coach here. I maintain you either jump in the game with both feet or get used to being one of the worst teams in the country. The people who are the I won’ support him or root for him can’t be that many because very few people are supporting this program now. Bruce Pearl seems to be doing ok at one of the Least supported basketball schools in the country. We need to get real about this situation. The program might be at its lowest point and we are holding grudges from 30 years ago.Either Miller would correct this situation within 2 years, if you want to win, if you don’t well get used to what you are watching . My last comment, and I am sure this one will anger many of the posters. I don’t think either Miller would be interested in this mess so we won’t have to worry about it. The delusional people who mentioned Pitino will now have to put their support behind another realistic candidate, maybe Calipari

People point out that Miller couldn't make a Final Four while cheating and now that its legal, he won't have an advantage but I say:

- come on, everyone was paying players before. They caught 1 agent, just 1, and Arizona was a handful of programs caught up in it. Everyone was cheating and Miller was able to outbid others. He is good at it

- He didn't make the FF with NBA talent. So what. The NCAA Tournament produces random results. He won a ton of games and while he may not bring McD talent here, I truly believe he'd live in that Top 50-100 range and we can be the next Seton Hall, who is also coached by a Pitt alum who paid players and look where it got them.

Its a new ballgame and Miller will be able to work NIL like few others.

People point out that Miller couldn't make a Final Four while cheating and now that its legal, he won't have an advantage but I say:

- come on, everyone was paying players before. They caught 1 agent, just 1, and Arizona was a handful of programs caught up in it. Everyone was cheating and Miller was able to outbid others. He is good at it

-
Yeah but he was good at it at Arizona. There’s a difference. I’m sure Capel would have been much better at Arizona than he is at Pitt.

It is not an option.
Probably.

But...

Miller is a Pitt man.
Miller can coach.
Miller is one of the very few coaches out there who could actually jumpstart attendance.
Don't know about recruiting, but I'm sure he would do a much better job than the last two.
Baggage? Given the state of the program, I don't care and would hire porters to carry it around if necessary.

One can dream.

Yeah but he was good at it at Arizona. There’s a difference. I’m sure Capel would have been much better at Arizona than he is at Pitt.
Of course. If Pitt can do better than Miller, I am all for it. I just don't believe the mid-major flavor of the week is guaranteed to be better. I know people think Miller is like Capel/Stallings level but he isn't.

- He didn't make the FF with NBA talent. So what. The NCAA Tournament produces random results. He won a ton of games and while he may not bring McD talent here, I truly believe he'd live in that Top 50-100 range and we can be the next Seton Hall, who is also coached by a Pitt alum who paid players and look where it got them.

Its a new ballgame and Miller will be able to work NIL like few others.
You keep saying Miller will be able to work NIL without providing any evidence as to why.
* Miller is a Sweaty version of Dixon, NO THANKS.

* What’s the Ben Howland Model? This ain’t 2001. The guy will make the NCAAs 1/7 years at Miss St. HARD PASS.

****** John Cal will be the only guy who can bring EVERYTHING in one Shot. Fans/ Recruits and success.. If not Cal, then a young and hungry Coach that will do what it takes..

Only 2 ways..
I can’t believe I’m agreeing with Phil. If we are throwing out unrealistic names, I’d argue Cal and Pitino are your only two coaches guaranteed to increase fan interest, secure recruits, and effectively coach them in such a way that we are tourney locks in year two.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Probably.

But...

Miller is a Pitt man.
Miller can coach.
Miller is one of the very few coaches out there who could actually jumpstart attendance.
Don't know about recruiting, but I'm sure he would do a much better job than the last two.
Baggage? Given the state of the program, I don't care and would hire porters to carry it around if necessary.

One can dream.

Don't disagree with any of this, especially the attendance comment.

And I'm not commenting on whether Miller would be a good candidate, only that he won't be.

* Miller is a Sweaty version of Dixon, NO THANKS.

* What’s the Ben Howland Model? This ain’t 2001. The guy will make the NCAAs 1/7 years at Miss St. HARD PASS.

****** John Cal will be the only guy who can bring EVERYTHING in one Shot. Fans/ Recruits and success.. If not Cal, then a young and hungry Coach that will do what it takes..

Only 2 ways..

If it were me, I'd call Cal and ask "how much?" If he says: $100 million for 8 years, I go to Gallagher and say "you know that volleyball arena I was going to do......well they ARE winning in the Field House so I'm going to invest in a few Men's Basketball Final Fours and sold-out basketball arenas instead.

Honestly, I'd ask how much and beg every donor imaginable and probably panhandle on Forbes at Sombrero Man's old spot for the rest.

You keep saying Miller will be able to work NIL without providing any evidence as to why.

I can’t believe I’m agreeing with Phil. If we are throwing out unrealistic names, I’d argue Cal and Pitino are your only two coaches guaranteed to increase fan interest, secure recruits, and effectively coach them in such a way that we are tourney locks in year two.
I'd even rule out Pitino. Who wants to see a shriveled up version of Regis Philbin in a white suit on the sideline?

I don't understand the idea that any coach alone would increase fan interest. A good team is what will increase fan interest. If a Pitino or Miller comes here and loses, it would only make Pitt more of a laughingstock than it currently is. It's fine to think that they are guaranteed to produce a winning team, but anyone who thinks fans would turn out just to see a coach is nuts. Maybe they would once or twice just out of curiosity, but losing would make the novelty wear off quickly.

Reactions: Fsgolfdr
There’s not a coach out there that’s filling up the Pete until his team reaches an elite 8 or final 4 .

Miller or Pitino would give attendance a bump , but not as much as you’d hope for . Pitt fans come out to see winners and until they win it’s a lot easier watching the ACC network.

There’s too much negative history for Pitt to hire a Miller . Sure Sean had great talent at Arizona , which was bought , and he underperformed considering the talent level . Pitt needs a coach that outperforms it’s talent .

Reactions: JRPITT
I'd even rule out Pitino. Who wants to see a shriveled up version of Regis Philbin in a white suit on the sideline?

I don't understand the idea that any coach alone would increase fan interest. A good team is what will increase fan interest. If a Pitino or Miller comes here and loses, it would only make Pitt more of a laughingstock than it currently is. It's fine to think that they are guaranteed to produce a winning team, but anyone who thinks fans would turn out just to see a coach is nuts. Maybe they would once or twice just out of curiosity, but losing would make the novelty wear off quickly.
Great minds think alike !

Reactions: JS School
There’s not a coach out there that’s filling up the Pete until his team reaches an elite 8 or final 4 .

Miller or Pitino would give attendance a bump , but not as much as you’d hope for . Pitt fans come out to see winners and until they win it’s a lot easier watching the ACC network.

There’s too much negative history for Pitt to hire a Miller . Sure Sean had great talent at Arizona , which was bought , and he underperformed considering the talent level . Pitt needs a coach that outperforms it’s talent .

Calipari: season tickets sold out
Pitino: 9000 season tickets sold
Miller: 7000 season tickets sold
Lottery ticket: 2000 season tickets sold
Capel: 1500 season tickets sold

The coach MATTERS for season ticket sales next year and the more you sell, the more you show up. There would be extreme excitement for Pitino or Miller. People would buy tickets simply on hype or appreciation. NTOP would give them up but that's just 1 guy.

You are downplaying how much "new coach hype" matters for season tickets.

You are right. I nearly cancelled mine when Stallings was hired.
I actually renewed mine when he was hired. I gave them up for last several years of Dixon II simply because they were much cheaper on Stubhub. But when Stallings was hired, I was able to get great seats so I figured why not, it still could be a tournament team. I didn't renew Year 2. Was hyped for Capel so I renewed even though I felt 0-18 was possible again. Kept them for Year 2, then Covid, then gave them up this year. I will get them next year if we have a new coach and I like the hire.

If it were me, I'd call Cal and ask "how much?" If he says: $100 million for 8 years, I go to Gallagher and say "you know that volleyball arena I was going to do......well they ARE winning in the Field House so I'm going to invest in a few Men's Basketball Final Fours and sold-out basketball arenas instead.

Honestly, I'd ask how much and beg every donor imaginable and probably panhandle on Forbes at Sombrero Man's old spot for the rest.
I don’t know why you are setting your sights so low. I’d suggest learning how much it would take to exhume John Wooden and ink him for 20 years.

I don’t know why you are setting your sights so low. I’d suggest learning how much it would take to exhume John Wooden and ink him for 20 years.

I don't think it is realistic. But he's a Pgh guy so there's a connection. Just saying I'd ask how much. Cant hurt to have his agent give a figure. As crazy as this sounds, maybe he would prefer to be in a weaker conference. He used to run the SEC when they didn't play basketball and could just gear up for his NCAA run. Now he has a fight every night. The new ACC is the old SEC

Honestly.....10 years ago when Huggins was having his issues at Cinci and right before he ended up a K State, I said on these forums. If Duquesne wants to become relevant again, they should hire Huggins regardless of baggage. Huggins already had alot of friends in Pittsburgh, grew up close and spent time here. He would make Duquesne relevant.

Well they didn't. Huggs revived K State then went home to WVU.

In many ways, another year of this, Pitt is about at that same spot.

Bruce Pearl, with all of his baggage, hasn't hurt any program he goes to has he? He elevates them almost instantly.

Reactions: pittmeister
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT