ADVERTISEMENT

Would any of you take Sean Miller over Jeff Capel?

I know nobody hates Sean Miller like Pantherlairians because he screwed over a very bad basketball administration 25 years ago and his dad said mean things in a Trib article 6 years ago, and didn't make a Final Four (the bum only made 3 Elite 8's, the nerve on him) but just wondering if any of you would take him, if that was the way we could afford a buyout.

Lets play this out. Miller is not very attractive to P6 programs right now due to baggage. Perhaps he wants to get back into college coaching and get back into it at his alma mater. He DID want the job in 2018. Maybe he takes an extreme discount to get back to the P6 level? Like $1 million per year plus lucrative incentives? That would be way below the going rate for a P6 coach but given his baggage, he will not get more than that coaching at the mid-major level or being an assistant in the NBA.

Archie at NC State and Sean at Pitt? Makes far too much sense for the ACC.

Just thinking of ways to minimize the buyout in a sense. I kinda doubt Miller would discount himself like that but if we are going to give Capel a bank vault to not coach, going super cheap on established hometown coach, who, despite what you want to believe, will create excitement, and will sell tickets would be a way to recoup some of the buyout. If he hired Tray Woodall (who has a Top 115 committed to Fordham) or Ricky Greer, I think people would be overjoyed.
I would love to have Miller as our head in a New York minute!!!! You fools that don’t want him are full of you know what!!!!!

Reactions: Amigo3
Disagreeing is the heart of any healthy discussion. I would take either Miller in a New York minute. We are one the worst power 5 teams in America and we are saying 2 coaches who are proven winners aren’ good enough for our program. One is a cheater, well cheating is now legal, how is that for a comment., yes cheating is legal why not get someone who will get players in here. The other argument is we have a guy coaching here now who cheated but Sean is to corrupt to coach here. I maintain you either jump in the game with both feet or get used to being one of the worst teams in the country. The people who are the I won’ support him or root for him can’t be that many because very few people are supporting this program now. Bruce Pearl seems to be doing ok at one of the Least supported basketball schools in the country. We need to get real about this situation. The program might be at its lowest point and we are holding grudges from 30 years ago.Either Miller would correct this situation within 2 years, if you want to win, if you don’t well get used to what you are watching . My last comment, and I am sure this one will anger many of the posters. I don’t think either Miller would be interested in this mess so we won’t have to worry about it. The delusional people who mentioned Pitino will now have to put their support behind another realistic candidate, maybe Calipari
Wow, well said! I agree with you 100%. Some people just don’t get it brother!

Calipari: season tickets sold out
Pitino: 9000 season tickets sold
Miller: 7000 season tickets sold
Lottery ticket: 2000 season tickets sold
Capel: 1500 season tickets sold

The coach MATTERS for season ticket sales next year and the more you sell, the more you show up. There would be extreme excitement for Pitino or Miller. People would buy tickets simply on hype or appreciation. NTOP would give them up but that's just 1 guy.

You are downplaying how much "new coach hype" matters for season tickets.
Dream on
Calapari =0 % chance of him becoming the Pitt HC
Pitino =0%. “
Millers. =0%. “
So hire a lottery ticket type coach and in your opinion that gives them a net gain of 500 …. A lot moola for 500 butts in seats

Honestly.....10 years ago when Huggins was having his issues at Cinci and right before he ended up a K State, I said on these forums. If Duquesne wants to become relevant again, they should hire Huggins regardless of baggage. Huggins already had alot of friends in Pittsburgh, grew up close and spent time here. He would make Duquesne relevant.

Well they didn't. Huggs revived K State then went home to WVU.

In many ways, another year of this, Pitt is about at that same spot.

Bruce Pearl, with all of his baggage, hasn't hurt any program he goes to has he? He elevates them almost instantly.
Bruce Pearl needs to coach at a place that values W’s more than principle’s …. That’s never going to be Pitt .

I would take Miller or any big name we could get to come here. With the shitshow we have become it is wishful thinking that Miller or Pitino would come here. This program is in serious trouble. If and when Capel is fired, Heather had better not opt for a "Hire and Hope". Desperate times call for desperate measures.

I know many of you think there are plenty of coaches who can turn this around. I call bullshit on that. Based on Dixon II and now Capel, recruiting to Pitt as an ACC member, has become very difficult. It is going to take a special coach to turn this around. I don't care what it takes but, I don't want a "hire and hope" or we will wind up with 6 or more years of garbage basketball and at that point I can assure you DT will give up his dribbles and no one will give a damn anymore.

With the ACC as bad as it has become, the right hire could have this program back in the top half of this conference in no time. We are all tired of the doormat we have become, Heather better pull a Sean Miller or better out of the proverbial hat, the life of the program depends on it.

Reactions: pittzip
I would take Miller or any big name we could get to come here. With the shitshow we have become it is wishful thinking that Miller or Pitino would come here. This program is in serious trouble. If and when Capel is fired, Heather had better not opt for a "Hire and Hope". Desperate times call for desperate measures.

I know many of you think there are plenty of coaches who can turn this around. I call bullshit on that. Based on Dixon II and now Capel, recruiting to Pitt as an ACC member, has become very difficult. It is going to take a special coach to turn this around. I don't care what it takes but, I don't want a "hire and hope" or we will wind up with 6 or more years of garbage basketball and at that point I can assure you DT will give up his dribbles and no one will give a damn anymore.

With the ACC as bad as it has become, the right hire could have this program back in the top half of this conference in no time. We are all tired of the doormat we have become, Heather better pull a Sean Miller or better out of the proverbial hat, the life of the program depends on it.
At some point in time Pitt will make the right hire and recruit some quality bb players and the fans will come back to the program. Maybe it’s the next coach or two after JC , but it will happen . It just might be different fans , but it will happen !

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
At some point in time Pitt will make the right hire and recruit some quality bb players and the fans will come back to the program. Maybe it’s the next coach or two after JC , but it will happen . It just might be different fans , but it will happen !
I hope so! That said, Hope is not really a strategy for improvement.

I love the term "hire and hope." That's what Rutgers did for 30 years. Then, they FINALLY hit on a lottery ticket. Everyone thinks some mid-major coach is the answer because they had 3 good years in a bad conference but for a program like Pitt, a hire like that is so risky. We can either step up and spend money on a guarantee and risk becoming old Rutgers for several decades.

I love the term "hire and hope." That's what Rutgers did for 30 years. Then, they FINALLY hit on a lottery ticket. Everyone thinks some mid-major coach is the answer because they had 3 good years in a bad conference but for a program like Pitt, a hire like that is so risky. We can either step up and spend money on a guarantee and risk becoming old Rutgers for several decades.
I don't often agree with you, but this time I do 100%!

What people are also failing to acknowledge with the ACC dropping amongst basketball conferences you have to think the revenue collected by SEC and Big 10 programs is trickling down more than just to football. SEC has loaded up on $$$ coaches, and the Big 10 not so far behind. And in the ACC, most of the big name coaches are retiring. It used to be the ACC was the conference coaches flocked to.

I will take a Pitt guy...Orlando Antigua. Top recruiter under Cal and previous Illinois.

There is no guarantee.

If it were me, I'd call Cal and ask "how much?" If he says: $100 million for 8 years, I go to Gallagher and say "you know that volleyball arena I was going to do......well they ARE winning in the Field House so I'm going to invest in a few Men's Basketball Final Fours and sold-out basketball arenas instead.

Honestly, I'd ask how much and beg every donor imaginable and probably panhandle on Forbes at Sombrero Man's old spot for the rest.
I think I’m going to submit this comment to the Message Board Geniuses Twitter account. Prime candidate.

Sure I would take him. He may not be clean, but I bet we would start to see real talent wearing a Pitt uniform.
I don't want someone "clean" I'd gladly take a VACATED Final 4 appearance, because we'd still get to watch it on TV and it's still real, even if they pretend it isn't, LOL :)

Reactions: Pittisit4me
In Sean Miller's case, VACATING a Final Four has not been necessary.
Not really a statement aimed at him in particular, just in general, I'd gladly see them win a title and have it stripped for cheating rather than what we're seeing currently.

He had to beat other coaches who were cheating. It was like the Baseball steroid era. Yea, Roger Clemens was juicing but he was striking out guys who were juicing
I see no problem at all with cheating in college sports, it seems to me the rich blue bloods cheat and then get showered with money and praise. It's like they're the Globetrotters and everyone else is the Generals and they just keep their mouths shut and take it. I'd be happy and proud if Pitt did EVERYTHING the WINNERS do.

Reactions: Tailgate Chef
I see no problem at all with cheating in college sports, it seems to me the rich blue bloods cheat and then get showered with money and praise. It's like they're the Globetrotters and everyone else is the Generals and they just keep their mouths shut and take it. I'd be happy and proud if Pitt did EVERYTHING the WINNERS do.

People act like Miller only won due to cheating. Um....who did he beat? Other cheaters.

People act like Miller only won due to cheating. Um....who did he beat? Other cheaters.
1) he did it less successfully - no final fours
2) he did it more blatantly
3) he did it at elite jobs and STILL couldn’t make a FF
4) would be hamstrung at Pitt
5) when the cheating stopped, so did the winning.

in short, if you’re gonna hire a Miller who cheats, hire John. The only successful one

Reactions: PittPharm2002
He had to beat other coaches who were cheating. It was like the Baseball steroid era. Yea, Roger Clemens was juicing but he was striking out guys who were juicing
Winning w/o honor. Your generation is lost.

ADVERTISEMENT