ADVERTISEMENT

Would you take Wanny back next season Yes or No?

No thanks. I’m all for moving on as it seems clear this program is going backwards. But get someone else. He couldn’t get anyone for the most important position. And his OL recruiting left a lot to be desired as well. I thought he’d have horses there with the coaches and system they had. Not so much. Pass.

Reactions: Jpripper88
No thanks. I’m all for moving on as it seems clear this program is going backwards. But get someone else. He couldn’t get anyone for the most important position. And his OL recruiting left a lot to be desired as well. I thought he’d have horses there with the coaches and system they had. Not so much. Pass.
Well I thought he was moving upwards with the program. 10-3, 9-4. Top 25 ranked. And yeah I see your points but to me he would stabilize the program, maybe bring in some solid assistants.

Reactions: TJOlsen
Yes , let him hire a staff of some young hungry coaches, Pitt men if possible but not a must, get things stable, when he retires, hire the one he and AD feel is the best for the job. Sign me up tomorrow!

He still has connections that Pitt can use and he knows the layout and think he would get us in Florida as a priority this time, have to give him some money to get this done.

Reactions: PittPanthers90
Well I thought he was moving upwards with the program. 10-3, 9-4. Top 25 ranked. And yeah I see your points but to me he would stabilize the program, maybe bring in some solid assistants.

I’ve often said I’d like to have a crystal ball to know how things would have gone had they won the Cincy game. But Wanny had some Wanny moments and they didn’t.

I don’t disagree with what you’re saying but that’s an eternity ago at this point. If they move on it needs to be someone modern that understands and embraces the college game. I just don’t see that being Wanny.

Reactions: passedout
No. The game has passed Wanny by. We need a coach who understands how to run an up tempo system.

Reactions: pittman71
No. The game has passed Wanny by. We need a coach who understands how to run an up tempo system.

Which is why I would be ok with hiring back Wanny if he was able to hire a Spread OC (Getsy?).

If they announced Wannstedt, Getsy as OC, and Hafley as DC, Pitt fans would be doing cartwheels.

Yes, Wannstedt underachieved here but he did one thing better than any Pitt coach in the last 30 years and that was recruit. He got the players but couldn’t win enough. Narduzzi cant even get the players.

Ummm...don't you mean 7-5?

Wanny is a proven loser. No reason to bring him back knowing that.

for what its worth most championships are won running the I formation. Even Georgia is running it right now.
Since when? Alabama and Clemson haven't and don't. Who was the last (at least partial) I formation team to win the National Championship? LSU in 2007?

I was a big wanny fan and I’d say absolutely NOT. His offensive and defensive approaches are not that much different than Duzz

You need to move on and hire and up and coming coach that can bring energy and a more aggressive style of football to both sides of the ball

Yes like right now!
Make the change!
At a minimum PITT football and WannyBall radio would creat excitement!

Which is why I would be ok with hiring back Wanny if he was able to hire a Spread OC (Getsy?).

If they announced Wannstedt, Getsy as OC, and Hafley as DC, Pitt fans would be doing cartwheels.

Yes, Wannstedt underachieved here but he did one thing better than any Pitt coach in the last 30 years and that was recruit. He got the players but couldn’t win enough. Narduzzi cant even get the players.

Bingo.

Wanny or another year of Narduzzi, I'd take Wanny. At least he could recruit.

I think it is a foolish question. Obviously things have not improved with respect to where Pitt football has been since 2010 when Wannstedt left Pitt. However, the idea of bringing Dave back is just silly. My vote would be for the AD to give our present coach some very concrete goals for 2019 [attendance, recruiting, academic, and wins]. Should he not accomplish the goals...he would be done. My view is that in year four/five...your coach should be winning and taking you to bowl games. Hail to Pitt!

for what its worth most championships are won running the I formation. Even Georgia is running it right now.

That is only because those SEC schools can recruit a ton of NFL talent, and have great o-lines, and can also have a top round pick at RB all the time.

Only if he brought back Matt Cavanaugh to call plays. No thanks. Wanny had his chance. Couldn't win the big ones. His record is also inflated because of the teams he faced.

So you are satisfied with mediocrity, as the evidence is overwhelming re: wannstedt.

This is the Pitt fan's lament: choose something safe and above average instead of thinking big.

Luckily, with Heather in charge, idiotic suggestions like this one will never see the light of day.

I think it is a foolish question. Obviously things have not improved with respect to where Pitt football has been since 2010 when Wannstedt left Pitt. However, the idea of bringing Dave back is just silly. My vote would be for the AD to give our present coach some very concrete goals for 2019 [attendance, recruiting, academic, and wins]. Should he not accomplish the goals...he would be done. My view is that in year four/five...your coach should be winning and taking you to bowl games. Hail to Pitt!
Screw Academics. Just Win. Period. Winning takes care of attendance.

Walt did more with less. Wanny was okay. Their time has passed. Time for Pitt to move on. College ball today is about scoring... we need an offensively minded coach. Who is having success with a “defensive guru”? Defense wins championships but offense is more fun. If we’re going to give up 50 points a game I’d rather be able to score 51 and win once in a while...

Recruiting sucks

No bowl game 2 years in a row (almost unheard of)

We are looking at blowout losses in many of the remaining games.

at this point, I would rip my sons fathead of ben Roethlisberger off the bedroom wall and prop it up on the pitt sideline.
So you're saying the Roethlisberger Fathead is available?

With hindsight, Wanny would be our coach still. With the situation currently as is I would not go back to move forward. We need someone to really take the bull by the horns here and I am not sure who that is.

So you are satisfied with mediocrity, as the evidence is overwhelming re: wannstedt.

This is the Pitt fan's lament: choose something safe and above average instead of thinking big.

Luckily, with Heather in charge, idiotic suggestions like this one will never see the light of day.
To be fair he only have us two options. To say narduzzi is average right now would just be ridiculous, the team is literally awful in every facet. Average wanny would be a massive improvement from this garbage.

I agree with your general point though. If there was a third option, go through a national coaching search, well then I’d most definitely take that over Duzz or wanny.

Last edited:
Isn't Dave about 70 years old now?

And would he pay US to take the job? Because after swallowing a likely 8 figure buyout of Narduzzi and whatever smaller payoffs to fire the assistants, the little matter of paying the replacements would need addressed.

If he didn’t have to keep the Narduzzi staff and could get:
Kasperowicz to be his OC
Hafley back to clean up NJ
Partridge for FLA recruiting

I also want Gattuso, Angelichio and Walker back. The trick is getting in a DC who can recruit the DMV

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT