ADVERTISEMENT

Wouldn't blame Yarnell for transferring

Dan1911

Sophomore
Jan 17, 2016
Coach never considered a QB change,.per report. Slovis lost this and the GT game singlehandedly.

If PN is that blind, Yarnell needs to think of himself and leave.

I assume there
I’m surprised Cignetti has been so bad. I didn’t think he was going to be a mind blowing offensive revolutionary. But his game planning and play calling has been brutal. It’s like he abs Narduzzi bring the worst out of each other.

I'm to a point where it goes beyond play calling. Part of Whipple's allure was how he worked with Kenny Pickett off the field and developed him.

Under Cignetti, it seems like our entire offense is playing in perpetual confusion. The QB doesn't know who to throw it to... The line doesn't know who to block... Etc.

Play calling aside, the part about actually coordinating an offense seems to be lacking.

I assume there

I'm to a point where it goes beyond play calling. Part of Whipple's allure was how he worked with Kenny Pickett off the field and developed him.

Under Cignetti, it seems like our entire offense is playing in perpetual confusion. The QB doesn't know who to throw it to... The line doesn't know who to block... Etc.

Play calling aside, the part about actually coordinating an offense seems to be lacking.
Nards said they had two good weeks of practice. Maybe they need to not practice if that is the result of two weeks of good practice. They could just line up like we did playing Nerf football in the yard. Sometimes we'd call "freestyle" as a play and everyone just did something random. At least the defense couldn't predict every play from the formation.

He was better in that one game than the golden boy has been all year. If he's not even being considered with such a pathetic performance ahead of him...the coach is the problem
I’m not saying don’t play him… I’m saying what does he have that’s gonna be an automatically attractive transfer? I’m pissed too but this seems like silly reactive vengeful talk.

I’m seeing goofy stuff from this too “we didn’t run Izzy enough “( after watching 67 predictably short runs up the middle)….

when PITT put players in space and played balanced we picked up first downs … then we started a bunch of crap that didn’t… wildcat isn’t a solid plan nor is most of what happened after the first couple of drives. I’m completely befuddled as to how coaches paid to see this ….. just don’t.

Reactions: jctrack
He is leaving after the season.

That one has been the most head scratch-worthy. BC threw to that TE a ton in 2020.
Their QB looked to throw to their TE… Slovis doesn’t

I have to admit when Slovis pulled that “f@ck you WVU” stunt unlike others I cringed… it was unnecessary and stupid…. Kind of like much of his play this season.

I have to admit when Slovis pulled that “f@ck you WVU” stunt unlike others I cringed… it was unnecessary and stupid…. Kind of like much of his play this season.

Dude played like someone sat down and told him, "Ignore the red jerseys. You throw the ball where YOU want it to go."

At least the guy helped win that game. The bravado is definitely long gone though. He’s finished here. Force him out.

Nards said they had two good weeks of practice. Maybe they need to not practice if that is the result of two weeks of good practice. They could just line up like we did playing Nerf football in the yard. Sometimes we'd call "freestyle" as a play and everyone just did something random. At least the defense couldn't predict every play from the formation.

That's what they did last night...players ran around randomly and hoped something good would happen. It's like the old vibrating football game I had as a kid when the field vibrated and the players just jumped around until someone broke lose. That's Pitt football under Narduzzi and Cignetti.

Yarnell loves Pitt and is looking to get two Master’s degrees. It doesn’t mean he wouldn’t leave but his mom told me he likes it there a lot. Nate and Gavin are roommates so to keep Gavin maybe starting Nate would help.

We know Narduzzi isn’t turning to Yarnell this season.

Reactions: jctrack
I assume there

And the QB being immobile doesn’t help either.

Unfortunately Yarnell looks pretty much a clone of Slovis. Only programs with gigantic and athletic OL can make it work with a slow immobile QB.

At best we’d have to hope Yarnell has a stronger mental constitution than Slovis and not fazed by getting frequently popped. Slovis went mad from it after only 6 quarters.

But physically he doesn’t seem any less fragile than Slovis. Lean and scrawny.

Patti is pretty injury prone too. The other guy is an Ivy League puke.

The options aren’t appealing.

Unfortunately Yarnell looks pretty much a clone of Slovis. Only programs with gigantic and athletic OL can make it work with a slow immobile QB.

At best we’d have to hope Yarnell has a stronger mental constitution than Slovis and not fazed by getting frequently popped. Slovis went mad from it after only 6 quarters.

But physically he doesn’t seem any less fragile than Slovis.

Next year, you have to start over and take your lumps with Kenny Minchey and the young wide receivers.

If Narduzzi tries to piece together some mash unit out of the transfer portal, it will be a mistake. We need to go young next season and hope we're competitive again by 2025.

I'm not opposed to giving Yarnell a shot this season, but yeah... He really wasn't asked to do anything except hand off and make a few fairly simple tosses while under no pressure in the pocket.

I’m surprised Cignetti has been so bad. I didn’t think he was going to be a mind blowing offensive revolutionary. But his game planning and play calling has been brutal. It’s like he abs Narduzzi bring the worst out of each other.

Narduzzi just needs to realize that what is good for the team on offense runs counter to what he wants to see. He should embrace the conflict with his OC as it usually means the team is doing well (Chaney, Canada, Whipple). Not sure if his ego allows it though.

Reactions: Gep Dawg
Narduzzi just needs to realize that what is good for the team on offense runs counter to what he wants to see. He should embrace the conflict with his OC as it usually means the team is doing well (Chaney, Canada, Whipple). Not sure if his ego allows it though.
This is a guy who was likely preached to since birth by his coach dad that the only way to victory is pahnd, pahnd, pahnd the ball on offense and put all your chips on your defense. Classic Ohio State/Woody Hayes, and Youngstown was big time Ohio State country.

Ending up in the Big Ten as a DC, he was actually able to see some schools still having success with the antiquated model even in the 2000s. None of those guys seems to notice when they veer out and play SEC or other conference teams in bowls and such, that they often get boat raced. “Bowls don’t mean anything!”, which of course is ludicrous.

His style doesn’t work any where else. He’s only had success at Pitt in two seasons when the offense was dominant. He’s been a .500 gibrone otherwise. And lucky to be .500 thanks to crap teams in the OOC schedules. But that’s every school now, buying three of its wins every year.

I’ll say again I really like Narduzzi and I’ve learned through the years that it isn’t the guy you fire but who you replace him with, and our history of replacing coaches is abysmal. So I support the idea of finding a fairly competent one and holding onto to him with grim death. But I despise his offensive philosophy because it simply doesn’t work. It’s frustrating he repeated his terrible year of 2017 after his only other good season by making exactly the same decisions in that offseason before. Watson is Cig. Browne is Slovis. Results will likely be the same … a tremendous downer that drives any fans away that we gained the year before.

Lyke doesn’t care about football, but she SHOULD care that donations and ticket sales will crater this winter. Might be worst ever. Because the worst thing you can do is allow expectations to rise and then see then crash.

Plus, in dark smoke filled rooms, old white guys in expensive suits who are putting together the future Super Conferences are reinforced in their decision if not considering Pitt at all. The clock is ticking on Pitt football. It might be anyway no matter how we do, but sucking at it will make the decision obvious. This was a year we really needed to make hay.

And yes, you admin crotchslurps who are cowardly in hiding last night and today, football IS that important and one bad season (in this place in time) DOES carry ominous consequences.

This is a guy who was likely preached to since birth by his coach dad that the only way to victory is pahnd, pahnd, pahnd the ball on offense and put all your chips on your defense. Classic Ohio State/Woody Hayes, and Youngstown was big time Ohio State country.

Ending up in the Big Ten as a DC, he was actually able to see some schools still having success with the antiquated model even in the 2000s. None of those guys seems to notice when they veer out and play SEC or other conference teams in bowls and such, that they often get boat raced. “Bowls don’t mean anything!”, which of course is ludicrous.

His style doesn’t work any where else. He’s only had success at Pitt in two seasons when the offense was dominant. He’s been a .500 gibrone otherwise. And lucky to be .500 thanks to crap teams in the OOC schedules. But that’s every school now, buying three of its wins every year.

I’ll say again I really like Narduzzi and I’ve learned through the years that it isn’t the guy you fire but who you replace him with, and our history of replacing coaches is abysmal. So I support the idea of finding a fairly competent one and holding onto to him with grim death. But I despise his offensive philosophy because it simply doesn’t work. It’s frustrating he repeated his terrible year of 2017 after his only other good season by making exactly the same decisions in that offseason before. Watson is Cig. Browne is Slovis. Results will likely be the same … a tremendous downer that drives any fans away that we gained the year before.

Lyke doesn’t care about football, but she SHOULD care that donations and ticket sales will crater this winter. Might be worst ever. Because the worst thing you can do is allow expectations to rise and then see then crash.

Plus, in dark smoke filled rooms, old white guys in expensive suits who are putting together the future Super Conferences are reinforced in their decision if not considering Pitt at all. The clock is ticking on Pitt football. It might be anyway no matter how we do, but sucking at it will make the decision obvious. This was a year we really needed to make hay.

And yes, you admin crotchslurps who are cowardly in hiding last night and today, football IS that important and one bad season (in this place in time) DOES carry ominous consequences.
Learned this from his dad at Youngstown and he still believes those same coaching philosophies work today

Excellent post. Yep - this style of play comes with a ceiling. 2018 is a great example of that. It's a safe way to pound the teams who recruit poorly into submission. It's also a safe way to score 6 offensive points against Penn State, 9 against Notre Dame, 3 against Miami, and 10 against Clemson.

And it's why teams like Wisconsin could never take it to the next level. You have zero chance of beating a team that is better than you up front.

If the conference told it's members to really invest in football and our leaders are ok with this, we shouldn't be considered for any expansion consideration. I was over Duzz after the WMU loss but I chilled after the run to the Coastal championship but I just never felt he had the foresight to be Saban like!

Slovis hasn’t been the same since the TN game. He is handcuffing the offense and there is no doubt Yarnell would have given them a better chance to win last night.

Agree that Slovis is handcuffing the offense. No doubt about that. I'm just not sure Yarnell would give Pitt a better chance to win. I think he's too green and too immobile.

Agree that Slovis is handcuffing the offense. No doubt about that. I'm just not sure Yarnell would give Pitt a better chance to win. I think he's too green and too immobile.
Yarnell is MAC level at best. Slovis is 10 times better. Its hilarious that people are afraid of Yarnell transferring. Its his 2nd year in the program and he couldn't even come close to beating out Nick Patti for a backup role.

Yarnell is MAC level at best. Slovis is 10 times better. Its hilarious that people are afraid of Yarnell transferring. Its his 2nd year in the program and he couldn't even come close to beating out Nick Patti for a backup role.

That's straight up bullshit. The kid only played in something like 7 high school games. He hasn't even been healthy part of his time at Pitt.

That's straight up bullshit. The kid only played in something like 7 high school games. He hasn't even been healthy part of his time at Pitt.
And you think he will stay healthy during the rigors of game action. Yarnell isnt the answer

For those who advocate not playing Yarnell, how is continuing to play Slovis a better option? Slovis continues to make bad decisions, the two red zone INTS cost Pitt the game. OK, you can start Slovis next game but if he shits the bed again, pull him and put in Yarnell. It cant be any worse and at least you are giving him some game experience. Other good coaches, Dabo at Clemson last Saturday comes to mind, have no problems yanking their starter at halftime if they are struggling.

For those who advocate not playing Yarnell, how is continuing to play Slovis a better option? Slovis continues to make bad decisions, the two red zone INTS cost Pitt the game. OK, you can start Slovis next game but if he shits the bed again, pull him and put in Yarnell. It cant be any worse and at least you are giving him some game experience. Other good coaches, Dabo at Clemson last Saturday comes to mind, have no problems yanking their starter at halftime if they are struggling.
There's nothing to gain investing in Slovis. He's shot and there's no future here for him. Yarnell can play statue and throw bad picks too. He might also be better and become a QB you can use in the future. Patti would give you some options with his legs at least, until he gets hurt again.

He was better in that one game than the golden boy has been all year. If he's not even being considered with such a pathetic performance ahead of him...the coach is the problem
Yarnell Play to get us one of the worst teams in the country. It is ridiculous to think that he is ready.

But physically he doesn’t seem any less fragile than Slovis. Lean and scrawny.

With the offense we are running, the Ivy League guy might be the best fit.

Reactions: cashisking884
Because he is terrible. Again, its like people calling for Trey Anderson or Mark Myers. The backups are much worse most of the time. Just because the starter sucks, doesnt mean the backup is any better.

Coach never considered a QB change,.per report. Slovis lost this and the GT game singlehandedly.

If PN is that blind, Yarnell needs to think of himself and leave.
I'd rather keep Yarnell and Batholomew than Cignetti and Borbs. If Narduzzi won't replace these coaches, he deserves to be replaced.

Based on what? His one start versus WMU where he wasn’t asked to do much after almost two years of not playing any football at all?
Start Yarnell now. This team is going nowhere this year. It's a great time to prep Yarnell for next year. A side bonus is if Yarnell is the starter, maybe Slovis leaves.

I would have put Yarnell in the 2nd half last night. To make him the starter now with UNC and Syracuse next on the schedule is suicide. I think you have to start Slovis and pull Yarnell if he looks lost again, At the very least if you lose next two you start Yarnell the last three (winnable) games of the season.

I personally think Yarnell or Patti would be better under this current OC. Better game managers and throw the ball quicker. Slovis would have been great under our old OC's philosophy.

I would have put Yarnell in the 2nd half last night. To make him the starter now with UNC and Syracuse next on the schedule is suicide. I think you have to start Slovis and pull Yarnell if he looks lost again, At the very least if you lose next two you start Yarnell the last three (winnable) games of the season.

I personally think Yarnell or Patti would be better under this current OC. Better game managers and throw the ball quicker. Slovis would have been great under our old OC's philosophy.
This isn’t going to happen any time soon apparently.

https://triblive.com/sports/pitts-p...al-effects-on-any-team-when-changes-are-made/

I understand having to defend your guy. But when the best he can do to praise the guy is that he hands off the ball well…

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: PittAU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT