ADVERTISEMENT

Wouldn't blame Yarnell for transferring

I would have put Yarnell in the 2nd half last night. To make him the starter now with UNC and Syracuse next on the schedule is suicide. I think you have to start Slovis and pull Yarnell if he looks lost again, At the very least if you lose next two you start Yarnell the last three (winnable) games of the season.

I personally think Yarnell or Patti would be better under this current OC. Better game managers and throw the ball quicker. Slovis would have been great under our old OC's philosophy.
I just think Slovis is too slow to process. I know Kenny is in the NFL, for good reason but, look at how quickly he makes decisions compared to Slovis, and Mitch. The difference is striking.

Reactions: Gep Dawg
For those who advocate not playing Yarnell, how is continuing to play Slovis a better option? Slovis continues to make bad decisions, the two red zone INTS cost Pitt the game. OK, you can start Slovis next game but if he shits the bed again, pull him and put in Yarnell. It cant be any worse and at least you are giving him some game experience. Other good coaches, Dabo at Clemson last Saturday comes to mind, have no problems yanking their starter at halftime if they are struggling.
Slovis is by far the best player in practice, Narduzzi says if you dont believe this then come to any of the practices and see for yourself. but if you do in fact try to get into a pitt practice to confirm this, you will be shot on site so keep that in mind..

You mess with a football team when you (change quarterbacks),” Narduzzi said.

Sometimes, like now, it is needed.
Intellectually everyone knows change for change sake is far from assured to work. Things even could get worse. But the definition of insanity (doing the same failed thing) definitely doesn’t work.

Reactions: Dan1911
Slovis is by far the best player in practice, Narduzzi says if you dont believe this then come to any of the practices and see for yourself. but if you do in fact try to get into a pitt practice to confirm this, you will be shot on site so keep that in mind..
I'm sure he is by far the best QB in practice. He throws a very nice ball, and in a controlled setting where QBs can't be touched, he probably looks great. Unfortunately, he turns into a pumpkin when facing live defenses.

It’s ironic that Tomlin went ahead and made a QB change that I rather wish he hadn’t (because with as bad an OL and weak sauce receivers as the Steelers currently have, no QB will look good). I loathed to see KP battered (like last week) and then crucified when he does what all rookie QB with bad teams do (make mistakes). I wanted to see Trubisky take these lumps, the team go 4-13, draft high, obtain actual talent for the OL, and set KP loose. I didn’t get the wish.

Flash to Pitt, our QB stinks and the team is in shambles, he is a mental wreck and dubious physically, the season actually still has a thread of hope (due to the crappy division, but still) and a kick in the ass might actually help. But no, this guy puts up the Maginot Line and will meekly go down with it, just like the French.

Reactions: Gep Dawg
Against GT, Slovis just stopped caring where the other team was and started letting it fly. I mean, we were down two scores late so whatever. It ended up mostly working, but you can't play an entire game that way.

What concerned me against Louisville is him doing that with like 4 minutes left when we were only down 7. That throw to Gavin Thompson was beyond insane. He's as mentally frazzled as a guy can be right now. We need to throw someone else to the wolves for a while. If they completely suck, maybe bring Slovis in with a jolt of confidence, similar to how Trubisky entered that Bucs game.

Against GT, Slovis just stopped caring where the other team was and started letting it fly. I mean, we were down two scores late so whatever. It ended up mostly working, but you can't play an entire game that way.

What concerned me against Louisville is him doing that with like 4 minutes left when we were only down 7. That throw to Gavin Thompson was beyond insane. He's as mentally frazzled as a guy can be right now. We need to throw someone else to the wolves for a while. If they completely suck, maybe bring Slovis in with a jolt of confidence, similar to how Trubisky entered that Bucs game.
Agreed. Start whoever next game, if they stink (as most seem confident they will, since the assumption of many is always that our backups automatically stink, always…sadly mostly correct).

Anyway, assuming the great brains here are right, Yarnell (let’s assume Patti is finished) if started again WILL suck. Then, Duz can send the “Slo Hand” out to save the day.

I’ll say that, on the road against a decent team with a decent crowd in a night game, might not make it wise to do this next week. But if Slovis blows it again at UNC (predictably) and we lose ugly again (predictably), you HAVE to try this in the next one. Facing what could still be a very good Cuse team (but also a Cuse team that never draws a good crowd), in likely bad November weather, likely a Noon start (given this game week have minimal broadcast appeal)… starting Slovis agin after he’s lost 3 of the last 4 and the season is essentially over…shudder at the crowd prospects.

What’s more, Lyke should give Duz dispensation to take the risk; throw caution to the wind and change QBs regardless of loss. At that point after 4-4 and sinking, there’s nothing left to salvage for the season but a crappy bowl bid that Pitt would rather not have to go to anyway (can yinz just imagine our showing at the Sun bowl or Detroit Bowl after such a collapse this season?).

Honestly paying whatever bonus Duz gets for gaining Bowl eligibility, even if he finishes 5-7 as a result of going with the youth movement (again, forget Patti too, and go with Yarnell) is worth the financial and PR hemorrhage of a dismal Detroit Bowl “reward”.

sigh. I know this is all such wishful thinking because Duz is a mule and Lyke doesn’t give a flying flunk. But I so wish this program thought strategically for a change…

Based on what? His one start versus WMU where he wasn’t asked to do much after almost two years of not playing any football at all?
Well yeah, "after 2 years of not playing football at all'', for himself, he'd be better off going elsewhere if the future is continuing to not play football through next year watching Slovis, even FCS, Flacco and DiNucci made the NFL that way, Flacco with good success, and DiNucci at least got there.

I truly hate being so vehemently critical about specific players. They get tuition and such but they sacrifice a lot, and almost all of those who play frequently at least were guys who had viable options to play elsewhere but chose to play for us. Slovis was certainly somewhat in demand at the time and took some faith to commit with the OC in flux. I just think with the limited (1.5 seasons) remaining he is not going to develop enough into a QB that can deliver a 10-11 win season. We can’t afford to waste that time. He himself would be advised to go somewhere like Delaware, bulk up, and do well in the 1-2-3-throw kind of offense they have. But then what do WE do? This year? Not much. For Next? Traverse the portal, what else. Future? Will Minchey still come? Start saying the Hail Marys now.

Narduzzi just needs to realize that what is good for the team on offense runs counter to what he wants to see. He should embrace the conflict with his OC as it usually means the team is doing well (Chaney, Canada, Whipple). Not sure if his ego allows it though.
The biggest issue with Narduzzi is he still makes decisions like a defensive coordinator. He doesn't want fast scoring explosive offenses because he wants to control the clock and protect his defense. It's like he would prefer to win 14-10 so his defense looks better. A head coach should not think like that. Offense wins games in college....period!

The biggest issue with Narduzzi is he still makes decisions like a defensive coordinator. He doesn't want fast scoring explosive offenses because he wants to control the clock and protect his defense. It's like he would prefer to win 14-10 so his defense looks better. A head coach should not think like that. Offense wins games in college....period!
And last year, he had a career year, he may never match again, ACC Champs. 11-3, because all they did was air it out and win every game 42-38, and he seemed to complain about it :)

Yarnell has thrown 12 passes against a max team for effssake . He may be good but he could be another. Beville. Yellen. Max browne. Ricky Towne. Another Jeff George jr.

I get it that Duz didn’t like Whip and apparently not Canada either (seemingly personally), and in that case ain’t gonna mind seeing them leave, BUT in both cases they oversaw the offense of the best two years of your decade here. So hate the guy, but love the scheme, and find a guy who will have a similar scheme! Yeah ok you can agree to maybe not be SO pass happy, maybe snap it a little later in the count with the lead, etc…tweaks are fine. Throw out the baby, fine…but keep the bath water!

My question is how do you have Qb's on the roster your afraid of giving a shot? Why did you give them a ship if you have no faith in them at all?

Reactions: PittAU
My question is how do you have Qb's on the roster your afraid of giving a shot? Why did you give them a ship if you have no faith in them at all?
I say that every time this situation comes up which is fairly frequent for us unfortunately. Those why say rather snidely that “he doesn’t make a change because the backups are worse” say it as if that’s a positive. But it’s a giant, giant negative.

I agree and it doesn't matter that Patti may be less accurate he is far more mobile. I would hate to see a kid get hurt so if you really want him to be the qb build the offense around his strengths and stop trying to force a round peg into a square hole. That pisses me off. Chis made a great point about all these guys being talented prior to this year. It's just sad as hell man. Poor Jared Wayne is be totally wasted in this offense.

Reactions: jaebree422
I get it that Duz didn’t like Whip and apparently not Canada either (seemingly personally), and in that case ain’t gonna mind seeing them leave, BUT in both cases they oversaw the offense of the best two years of your decade here. So hate the guy, but love the scheme, and find a guy who will have a similar scheme! Yeah ok you can agree to maybe not be SO pass happy, maybe snap it a little later in the count with the lead, etc…tweaks are fine. Throw out the baby, fine…but keep the bath water!
That point should be emphasized, often.

Reactions: The Ole Six-Fiver
Yarnell has thrown 12 passes against a max team for effssake . He may be good but he could be another. Beville. Yellen. Max browne. Ricky Towne. Another Jeff George jr.
I can't believe these people are clamoring for Yarnell over Patti. Nothing Yarnell did against a bad MAC team lead me to believe he is an FBS QB. He might be but it was basically a Spring Game type vanilla offense vs a Spring Gameish defense (with injuries and starters sitting).

I can't believe these people are clamoring for Yarnell over Patti. Nothing Yarnell did against a bad MAC team lead me to believe he is an FBS QB. He might be but it was basically a Spring Game type vanilla offense vs a Spring Gameish defense (with injuries and starters sitting).

Well, he had poise (easy when they're not staring down the barrel at you - I get it) and I think showed that he, at the very least, has P5 arm strength.

That slant to Mumpfield at the beginning of the game (might not have even been a slant; I only vaguely remember it) and the touchdown pass to Mumpfield were both fairly impressive. Add these things to the fact that Narduzzi said he looked "special" while running the scout team last year and the fact that he's 6'6" and can probably see the field a little better and utilize the middle of it... we might have something.

He could absolutely be Beville, too. No question. Beville looked very solid at the Spring Game as a true freshman... and, like you said, that's about akin to the defense Yarnell faced.

However, this is all moot when considering the mule himself went out and got Slovis. Pat Narduzzi does not admit defeat. If we lose the next five games but have a solid drive at the end of Miami, he will say something like, "Mmkay, and you guys wanna write all this stuff about is he or isn't he... or should we go to Patti? I think you saw right there what Kedon Slovis is capable of."

His self-awareness is sub-zero, as we should all know by now.

Its very obivious that to win in college football you have to put points on the board and need a QB that can advance thr football with his legs when the passing lanes are shut down. We had one last year with KP. Of all the Qbs on our roster and our next class the one that fits that description is Kenny Minchey according to most of the recruiting buffs. Hopefully we maintain his committment and he enrolls early in his quest to start as a true frosh or sometime in his rookue. Also in regards to Gavin B. Is there anybody on this board with inside info about conjecture about a transfer or are poster just surmising based on his underuse so far. Keep in mind other than Buffalo he was not recuited highly and we took a chance thus he probably remains loyal to Pitt in return.

yarnell is the odds on favorite of being our starter next year. i crunched the numbers in my head, it's fact. Please dont ask me to show my work, just take my word for it..

I think Patti is still injured, at least to the extent that they would only throw him in if both Slovis and Yarnell went down…or else I think even stubborn Duz would have sent him in last week.

It sucks. I think the biggest of the several unfortunate occurrences this season was the injury of Patti. As I said on that post, there are what-ifs every season but he’s the biggest for me. I would have really liked to see him be able to finish the TN game healthy. Remember, we made it to OT even with him on one leg, and his prime skill (mobility) totally gone. So there’s always that possibility…

But even if we still lose that game in OT, he plays (healthy) vs WMU and I’d say the team would have kicked tail in that game with him, rather than just get by as we did with Yarnell.

A crossroads at this point would have been, does Duz still go with Slovis (presumably ready to go) to start RI? My own head says he should continue with Patti, but I think Duz heart would make him feel obligated to go with SloGo. We still win that, of course, either way, but if Slovis stinks in that (as he kind of did, being frank)… Does Duz have stones to start Patti in the GT game? I think he still starts Slovis. But, with healthy Patti, I think Duz pulls the trigger to start the 2nd half (or shortly thereafter). Then what happens would be anyone’s guess. I’ll guess with healthy Patti in that second half, we pull it out.

I’m not saying Patti is a hidden gem, but we all have mostly liked what we saw with the guy in the admittedly few times he’s played (and stayed healthy). But I contest we could be entering this UNC game 6-1 and solidly mid teens, with a lot still at stake this season. We might have even been on what some of you call a “real network”. 😊

Certainly another scenario is that Patti would stink too, and nothing would have been different. Or he’d do well, but break another valuable bone, which seems his (and our) curse. These are the “What if” kind of things in my mind when the real life season is basically done.

But then what do WE do? This year? Not much. For Next? Traverse the portal, what else. Future? Will Minchey still come? Start saying the Hail Marys now.

I Wouldn’t want to go transfer portal for an experienced guy we’re looking to start next year.

How many teams are running this offense? We’d basically be picking from a crop of QBs that all run simpler offenses, and asking him to pick up this more complicated system in a few months.

I’d rather just go with an experienced guy on the roster that has now had a year in it, and then go after a really young high upside guy in the portal that will be able to learn it and compete for the job down the line.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT