ADVERTISEMENT

Wow, Tomlin thoroughly out coached Belichick.

Pats were unprepared, Steelers ran lots of counters. Great defensive game plan. Hope Steelers can keep it up.
And Gruden thoroughly outcoached Tomlin last week. Such as life in the NFL. As I said last week, let’s judge all of these guys at the end of the year. 5 weeks ago I was thinking this might be Tomlins best year. Then they gave away 3 straight games. Last week a bad Oakland team tried to give the Steelers the game with all of those penalties but the Steelers couldn’t capitalize. Last night the patriots tried to give the game away with all of those penalties and the Steelers came away with the win.

Hard to recall a NE team making so many mistakes. Clearly one of the weakest Brady/Belechek teams.
NE played like shit.
Brady moves like somebody’s grandma , some horrible throws.

14 penalties wtf.

But Steelers were prepared and made changes as Tomlin said they would

This was a good win for Tomlin and the Steelers.
Well coached and well played!

As all the NFL coaches age and become ready for the home Tomlin will begin to win more!
That's one advantage of a young coach.

Just kidding!
Good win we need more of them to close things out, win the AFC Championship, and the Super Bowl!

Last edited:
Yeah, not their usual game.
That said, someone tied Butler up in a closet and instituted a defensive game plan that gave them a chance to win.
They brought in Jim Herrmann this week to work with the LBs. maybe he did it? How old is Herrmann? Tomlin is a pretty good coach in a lot of ways. But he needs a strong staff to win. This is not a regular season town. To win in the post season, he needs better guys coaching and game planning. Porter and Jerry O may be on borrowed time.

Edit: he was born in 1960 and currently out of work it seems.

They brought in Jim Herrmann this week to work with the LBs. maybe he did it? How old is Herrmann? Tomlin is a pretty good coach in a lot of ways. But he needs a strong staff to win. This is not a regular season town. To win in the post season, he needs better guys coaching and game planning. Porter and Jerry O may be on borrowed time.

Not a good sign for Jerry O, that’s for sure.

It's time for that country club to be broken up. Too many friends and nepotism on that staff.
In fairness to Tomlin, isn’t that what happens within the coaching industry? It’s just that this country club isn’t very good. Why is that? The problem is that Tomlin either hires duds, or can’t develop duds. How about that Tomlin coaching tree?? For someone who has been in the league for over a decade, it speaks volumes that there are not any Tomlin disciples who come to mind that have moved on to bigger and better.

Yeah, not their usual game.
That said, someone tied Butler up in a closet and instituted a defensive game plan that gave them a chance to win.
I have no idea what the Steelers did. Watching live, there’s just too many things going on to get too deep into the game plan. And I refuse to rewatch a game. I’d love to hear a Hoge/Jaworski type breakdown of things. In previous weeks we saw lbs on slot receivers and guys like David Carr and Philip Rivers picking that defense apart. Yesterday, we saw Watt get more pressure on Brady, which tells me he was dropping less into coverage.

I have no idea what the Steelers did. Watching live, there’s just too many things going on to get too deep into the game plan. And I refuse to rewatch a game. I’d love to hear a Hoge/Jaworski type breakdown of things. In previous weeks we saw lbs on slot receivers and guys like David Carr and Philip Rivers picking that defense apart. Yesterday, we saw Watt get more pressure on Brady, which tells me he was dropping less into coverage.

Watts was the player of the game. He only got one sack, but was absolutely blazing in from the weakside, made Brady move a good bit, which is HUGE, and got into his head a bit, too.

Romo said they were doubling Gronk most of the night, by the end of the game was gushing how it was the best they have done against NE in a long time.

I saw something about them "bringing someone in" didn't know what that was about.
Have posted a lot that the organization is too insular, that they should have hired from outside on the DC to bring some new ideas in and keep everyone from being too comfortable.
Tomlin was good about that early on, but not so much the last half decade. I mean, hiring Bradley for DBs was just not even trying.
But, this sounds like good move on his part.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
One thing that has bugged me is how the Steelers have not utilized all of the roster. I think Samuels, and I have thought from Day 1, should get more touches.

I think he and James could be a real Dynamic Duo.

I don't like using a guy as much as they have used James at times this year. Hopefully they will get Samuels in there and find some ways to get them on the field at the same time.

That was a terrific victory. One that I certainly did not see happening.

I’m not sure I’d give Tomlin that much credit. Were it not for three red zone penalties in the fourth quarter, and 14 penalties against NE in general, that game might have ended differently.
I agree with this. Tomlin did nothing to cause all of those dead ball fouls and the red zone penalties. The Steelers have spent most of the season as the most penalized team in the league, while the Patriots traditionally are the least penalized. Yesterday, for one game, the roles were reversed.

Last edited:
Reactions: pittdan77
I saw something about them "bringing someone in" didn't know what that was about.
Have posted a lot that the organization is too insular, that they should have hired from outside on the DC to bring some new ideas in and keep everyone from being too comfortable.
Tomlin was good about that early on, but not so much the last half decade. I mean, hiring Bradley for DBs was just not even trying.
But, this sounds like good move on his part.
They also brought in Suishin hold Bosley's hand/counsel him or whatever.
First kick attempt same old same old, but he did hit a long important kick later.

Hopefully he gets back on track. Like Recruits said on another thread, if he kicks like he did last year, the team is 12-2 and sitting as the Number 1 seed!

I agree with this. Tomlin did nothing to cause all of those dead ball fouls and the red zone penalties. The Steelers have spent most of the season as the most penalized team in the league, while the Patriots traditionally are the least penalized. Yesterday, for one game, the roles were reversed.
And I don't think Tomlin caused Pat receivers to drop so many passes.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Pats were unprepared, Steelers ran lots of counters. Great defensive game plan. Hope Steelers can keep it up.
I keep thinking of that expression about “blind squirrels finding nuts.”
Does anyone doubt if they were to meet again in the playoffs, NE would win, and be the better coached team.

I keep thinking of that expression about “blind squirrels finding nuts.”
Does anyone doubt if they were to meet again in the playoffs, NE would win, and be the better coached team.
Hey, Maybe Hoodie intentionally threw the game to instill a false sense of confidence in the Stillers so they'd be all over confident n'at the next time they play in the Playoffs!

After all, he's a super genius, N'at!
Star-Wars-Palpatine.jpg

The Steelers coaches were better than they usually are, but the bar for Steelers’ coaches has been set so low that it shouldn’t be too hard for them to be better.

I still don’t know why it took them so long to realize that they could run the ball against that Pats defense. Maybe Ben’s two red zone picks led them to re-think their strategy?

And I don't think Tomlin caused Pat receivers to drop so many passes.
Hey guys, let's give credit when its due. Yes, the Pats shot themselves in the foot in multiple ways. And Tomlin sucks at clock management and challenges.
Buut the schemes for the Steelers were way better than we've seen in the past. That lose secondary zone they played in the playoffs was an embarrassment, and they never shifted away from it. This year, the Steelers used Belichick's defensive strategy -- take away the other team's best weapons. Both Gronk and Edelman were double teamed much of the day, and they were hammering them at the line of scrimmage, slowing their routes. It was effective.

Reactions: BPKY
Hey guys, let's give credit when its due. Yes, the Pats shot themselves in the foot in multiple ways. And Tomlin sucks at clock management and challenges.
Buut the schemes for the Steelers were way better than we've seen in the past. That lose secondary zone they played in the playoffs was an embarrassment, and they never shifted away from it. This year, the Steelers used Belichick's defensive strategy -- take away the other team's best weapons. Both Gronk and Edelman were double teamed much of the day, and they were hammering them at the line of scrimmage, slowing their routes. It was effective.

Statistically, the defense is actually much worse this year than last. But you don’t need stats if you just consider how many times the defense couldn’t get a stop in the 4th quarter or blew a two score lead.

ADVERTISEMENT