ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling got a commit over the weekend

Solid get...nice to keep talent close to home like Louis. Has he wrestled at many national events like Fargo, Flonationals, etc.?

For those of you that measure a recruit by their offers, know that his finalists were Pitt, Cornell and NC State. Added good news in that our RTC added another sponsored athlete, this one a much needed heavyweight. It's Jon Gingrich, PSU grad. If you remember Coach Gavin's early words, the hope was to get a sponsored athlete in each of the 6 Olympic weight classes. We're now half way there. That's a lot of progress in a very short period of time. This could only be done because of donations so thanks to those of you out there that enabled this to happen.

Do you mean with recruiting visits? Any names? I mean, since you put it on here, you must want to give more info than that.

Reactions: Ryno53
Who beat him the last 2 years

2017 at 113 ...... Sam Hillegas, North Hills, won a 5-2 dec over Newell in the AAA finals.

2016 at 106 ....... Tyson Klump, Nazareth, won a 9-3 dec over Newell in the AAA finals.

I think Hillegas beat him 4 or 5 times. Sam was an undefeated freshman state champ. He is the real deal. He is one of the very top guys in his class nationally.

I think Hillegas beat him 4 or 5 times. Sam was an undefeated freshman state champ. He is the real deal. He is one of the very top guys in his class nationally.

Yeah, Hillegas was 43-0 as a freshman state champion this year and is rated #2 in the nation at 113 lbs by InterMat.

Good wrestler. But, NC State's interest disappeared after the got a commit from another potential 125 pounder. A Cornell offer is the real deal though.

He is, I assume, the first verbal in the 2018 class. Stout and Phillippi are Transfers. We didn't graduate many last year, but had attrition in other ways: Transfer to tOSU, Mikey and Cody quitting or being thrown off the team, depending on whose version you hear. I'm assuming we can sign 4 this year at a minimum. Of course, since most wrestling scholarships aren't full rides, we could sign more.

How good is Matthews? I know he won states as a frosh, but I don't believe he has won either of the past two years. Was it injuries or just being in the same weight class as Sasso?

How good is Matthews? I know he won states as a frosh, but I don't believe he has won either of the past two years. Was it injuries or just being in the same weight class as Sasso?
Finished second last season at 43-1 - Finished third year before - 130-12 overall

He lost epic matches to Brian Courtney (UVa) and Max Murin (Iowa). The Murin match went to a ride out. Sasso is AAA. Mathews is in AA.

Reactions: BApanther
Diehard, you got that right. These are the battles we weren't winning and we're not done yet. Hopefully more recruiting wins follow soon.
I met the 2 RTC coaches at the golf outing. Gingrich hopefully can get Solomon to be an All American. Samat already has made an impact on Dom and Nick. They were raving about him.
All good news.

First off all Cole's losses have been epic matches, what do you know, he was a finalist two years in a row in Ironman and won Powerade last year. Sasso is AAA FYI , Cole is a stud it's a huge gain for Pitt wrestling.

Reactions: DevilDog42
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT