ADVERTISEMENT

WRESTLING- Pitt 21 Maryland 12, Final ......

I attended tonight, Some quick thoughts

3+'s

* Tyler Wilps put up 27 on Maryland last year and might have put up 35 on them if he got the full 3 tonight. It wasn't just his conditioning that improved in the offseason. His skills improved, too. Nimble as hell. Effort is ALWAYS there.

* Edgar Bright - Goodness. Don't know if I was more impressed by the series of back flips and continuous somersaults pre-match or the win over the #8 kid at 141 who had a lot of buzz going into the match. Not as quick as Shelton, but quick enough. Athletic (obviously). Strong in the upper body. Not saying he'll do much against Devin Carter, but if keeps his mind straight, I don't know how Shaffer gets that 141 spot back.

* Tyler was most dominant and Edgar probably opened the most eyes, so Shelton may get overlooked. But he got the first bonus points of the night. So quick. Relentless with his hand work. Wish he would've got one more shot at Alexander, but alas.

3 -'s

* Tasser was completely robbed of the win. He got a top 10 HWT to sudden death OT. Escaped him in about 7 seconds, then held him for the entire 30, but the refs only saw about 24 of it. To make matters worse, there was no video review granted to Pitt, even though Maryland got one during the Bright/Brown match. Coach Peters was NOT happy about it. Was on the refs for at least five minutes after the match (I left, he may have gone longer).

* Nit picking, I thought Mikey was too passive in the 3rd. Wore his opponent down, but didn't break him like he was capable of. His improvement on top won him this match. Which is a good sign after I thought he wasn't strong there at Keystone.

* More nit picking, Zanetta left me wanting more. Gun to my head, I think he'll get the 4th conference title, but I left less sure that he's a national threat. His match tomorrow is massive.

---

Cool being there for the 1st ACC match/win. I left feeling really good about our chances of putting an ACC banner up.

This post was edited on 12/7 11:52 AM by singregardless

singregardless ....

thanks for your observations/thoughts ..... much appreciated.

What do you think about tomorrow's Pitt/Penn State match ?

Re: singregardless ....

Sure. Truthfully, it'll be ugly. Reigning champs in a sold out basketball stadium. It's tough.

We only got 2 of 10 last year, and neither of those kids is going to be out there tomorrow. They can match that 2, if Zanetta turns it up a notch. That match will be grueling as the Wilps/Wright matches were last year.

I wouldn't be too discouraged though. Obviously losing to Penn State sucks, but the real goal for this year is an ACC title & a top 10 finish. This match will give them that first punch in the mouth that they can recall when they go to OKC.

Beyond that, this staff is pushing to set a new standard for the program. The goals for this year aren't what they will be. It's really up to the school to reward this program because it's one of those sports - like men's basketball and baseball already are - that they can eventually be the best in the state at. The class of 2013 was incredible. They go get Rizzo as the centerpiece for 2014. They have a trio of highly regarded kids associated with PWC that, should they land on the college roster, will make this a legitimate battle in the coming years.

The recruiting class this year is a disappointment after last year. Who is the young ones that you think Pitt has a shot at on PWC

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT