ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling question

Chaos

Assistant Coach
Gold Member
Jul 6, 2001
For those who have contact with the athletic administration, do they have any plans to give Panther Club priority points for purchasing wrestling season tickets? it seems as though they only give them for mens/womens hoops and football. If they're trying to get more fans/income, i would think this would help. Sure, folks would buy them and possibly not use them, but i would think that local donors would attend more matches if they received points for purchasing tickets, if only out of curiosity initially. Or if they don't attend, the tickets could be donated to Tickets for kids, and again, more fans would attend. Seems like win/win. Thanks.

At present there is no plan for this. A ticket only costs $35 so they would probably only give a half of a point anyway.

At present there is no plan for this. A ticket only costs $35 so they would probably only give a half of a point anyway.
A women's basketball season ticket is only $50, but you get 2 priority points. Maybe it's something to consider in the future for wrestling. Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Italianpittbull

Except they do this for women's basketball. $50 regular adult season ticket = 2 points (or half off the actual price of a point). Less if you get youth/senior or group rates.

And they've never set up a giving link to donate directly to wrestling like they told me they would do months ago.

Except they do this for women's basketball. $50 regular adult season ticket = 2 points (or half off the actual price of a point). Less if you get youth/senior or group rates.

And they've never set up a giving link to donate directly to wrestling like they told me they would do months ago.

CrazyPaco ...... get on their case !

I'm going to let you all in on a little secret. The last few years if you were a returning women's basketball season ticket holder and also a men's basketball season ticket holder the tickets were dirt cheap, even though you still got the two points. Last season I think they charged $20 per season ticket. The two seasons before that it was $10. And they still printed a face value on them that was equal to the total cost divided by the total number of games. So last year the tickets said $1.13 on them. The year before they said something like $0.56, and the year before they said something like $0.63.

They changed the program this year to a BOGO deal. You have to pay $50, but you get two tickets instead of one. So the fact that you can buy wrestling season tickets cheaper than $50 doesn't mean that they can't give you two points, if that's something they decide will help sell tickets.

Reactions: Italianpittbull
So here's the definitive answer. I spoke to the athletic department and they confirmed that 2 points will be awarded for the purchase of wrestling season tickets. The donation link will be up in the next few weeks. Until that time you can use the link giveto.pitt.edu and designate the donation to the Wrestling Championship Fund. If those were the only obstacles left then I hope you all can see your way clear to donate if you haven't done so already . Response has been good but we need a lot more. Don't forget about the Regional Training Center. Donations there can help in adding more world class training partners. Pat Bostick is the contact in the athletic department.

Nish, thanks for the info. I have called the Panther Club a couple of times with questions. The first time, I left a v-mail for Pat Bostick and got no reply. Then I spoke with Megan, who was supposed to call me back with more information. No return call yet.

What I really want to know is, do donors get priority for buying NCAA tickets from Pitt's allotment, both this year in Cleveland and next year in Pittsburgh? Keeping in mind that I would like to have that option, would I be better off donating to the Wrestling Championship Fund than the RTC?

Reactions: Chaos
Nish, thanks for the info. I have called the Panther Club a couple of times with questions. The first time, I left a v-mail for Pat Bostick and got no reply. Then I spoke with Megan, who was supposed to call me back with more information. No return call yet.

What I really want to know is, do donors get priority for buying NCAA tickets from Pitt's allotment, both this year in Cleveland and next year in Pittsburgh? Keeping in mind that I would like to have that option, would I be better off donating to the Wrestling Championship Fund than the RTC?

So here's my thought on that. This is different than my last post where I relayed the athletic department 's response. If you're a wrestling purist and want to help Pitt succeed, donate to the RTC. We desperately need more world class wrestling partners to attract and train the top recruits. If you want something back in the way of points or access to events, donate to Pitt. Best of all worlds is to donate to both since we have a lot of ground to make up.

I have been in contact with adm about donating to the wrestling team. So far all I have heard is that they will get back to me when they have their plan. I am trying to give them money and so far they cannot get it together.

Just to update to donate to regional training center is done through our Pittsburgh wrestling club site
We also have a golf outing coming up
Please consider sponsoring and/ or attending

A big shout out and thank you to Nish and his support of Pitt Wrestling through the administration side and our Pittsburgh wrestling club

Good stuff

Reactions: HOF Coach and Chaos
So here's my thought on that. This is different than my last post where I relayed the athletic department 's response. If you're a wrestling purist and want to help Pitt succeed, donate to the RTC. We desperately need more world class wrestling partners to attract and train the top recruits. If you want something back in the way of points or access to events, donate to Pitt. Best of all worlds is to donate to both since we have a lot of ground to make up.
Is there a link to donate to the RTC?
Thanks.

I have been in contact with adm about donating to the wrestling team. So far all I have heard is that they will get back to me when they have their plan. I am trying to give them money and so far they cannot get it together.

Same. Very poor on their part.

For now, then, use the link I gave you, giveto.pitt.edu, and designate Wrestling Championship Fund.

For now, then, use the link I gave you, giveto.pitt.edu, and designate Wrestling Championship Fund.

The point is they've had people contact them to give money and they can't even instruct them on that, nor take the infinitesimal amount of time to create a link to giveto.pitt.edu that has the fund prepopulated as exists for a myriad of other funds. Nor do they follow up. It won't keep me from giving, but sorry, that's pathetic.

Last edited:
Reactions: bwh05 and Chaos
Call Pat Bostick at 412-648-8235 and tell me if you get no response

The point is they've had people contact them to give money and they can't even instruct them on that, nor take the infinitesimal amount of time to create a link to giveto.pitt.edu that has the fund prepopulated as exists for a myriad of other funds. Nor do they follow up. It won't keep me from giving, but sorry, that's pathetic.
When I made my Gold Level donation to the Panther Club online in June, I noted that I would like my money to be earmarked specifically to the Wrestling Program this year. Hopefully, they will honor my request and do that.

When I made my Gold Level donation to the Panther Club online in June, I noted that I would like my money to be earmarked specifically to the Wrestling Program this year. Hopefully, they will honor my request and do that.
As far as I was told by Pitt, that will not happen. Your donation goes into the general fund. Donating to wrestling will not give you the donation level to get Bball and football tickets.

As far as I was told by Pitt, that will not happen. Your donation goes into the general fund. Donating to wrestling will not give you the donation level to get Bball and football tickets.
Thanks for this information. I will donate separately to the wrestling club then.

Call Pat Bostick at 412-648-8235 and tell me if you get no response

So Pat attempted to follow up today, unsolicited except for this board posting, but I wasn't around and didn't receive the message until very late. So they are paying attention. I have no idea why it is was difficult to give instructions for online giving as I originally inquired (and which they still haven't themselves provided), or get a simple givetopitt link set up to pass along, because as I've said, I've seen that for many other small university funds. It has been almost 3 months since I first inquired. Why we need to rely on you, Nish, to instruct people how to donate to a fund, or why we seemingly have to actively pursue opportunities to give away money, I have no idea. I hope they are attempting to following up with everyone that inquired, which is my major consternation. I'm not representative of the type that they need to follow up with, but when I read of similar stories like thom67, I know I'm not necessarily an isolated case and I would have to think many potential donors would just move on, and the potential of them losing out on donors is what frustrates me.

Last edited:
Chris Peak should pin the donation info at the top of board so it can be accessed by anyone that wants to give to the wrestling program.

Reactions: HOF Coach
Paco, Pat's call wasn't exactly unsolicited. I called Conor Youtsey yesterday to try to get some information. After I talked to him, Jordan Leen and Keith Gavin called me back within minutes. Gavin was not exactly pleased that people are trying to donate and the Panther Club has been slow to respond. He said he would be calling Pat. A couple hours later, I got a call from Pat saying that Coach Gavin had asked him to get in touch with me.

Paco, Pat's call wasn't exactly unsolicited. I called Conor Youtsey yesterday to try to get some information. After I talked to him, Jordan Leen and Keith Gavin called me back within minutes. Gavin was not exactly pleased that people are trying to donate and the Panther Club has been slow to respond. He said he would be calling Pat. A couple hours later, I got a call from Pat saying that Coach Gavin had asked him to get in touch with me.

Good for Keith. Excellent to hear he's on top of things.

I just donated to the wrestling club. Now I wait for the RTC.
Thom, thank you for your donation to the PWC and RTC. You were very generous and it is greatly appreciated. The donations pay for many things. For example, Conor Youtsey salary and insurance are paid for by the club. He is a great kid, very intelligent, works his butt off with every roster kid we have from 125 to 149 and is a huge asset to the program. Trust me when I tell you he is very bright and has a great future ahead of him. Second, when our kids go to freestyle tournaments such as university nationals, or the US open, the club Pat's for them to go and to be coached by one of our coaches. The freestyle piece makes them better and is a huge recruiting piece. Third, the Olympic Regional Training Center which was up and running for the first time this spring/summer. We have kids from within 250 miles that comeback to train in our room as long as they qualify. This requires placing in one of several prestigious freestyle tournaments but also the PIAA state tourney. Needless to say almost every kid we are recruiting is eligible and it gives them a chance to train in our room with our coaches and our team guys. We have one sponsored athlete in the RTC. This means we pay this young man to train at Pitt and to train our kids. We need one at all 6 Olympic weight classes, but obviously this will take time and money. We have one and his name is Samat. He is a world class wrestler who has medaled in several prestigious events including the Asian championships and the Dave Schultz Memorial open. The last Pitt guy to medal at events of this caliber was Keith Gavin. He has been great in the RTC practices working with and essentially schooling all our lighter weight guys as well as lighter weight recruits eligible to come to RTC. I have been told by several people how tough he is and how much better he is making people in our room. He will compete for Pittsburgh RTC in the upcomg Dave Schultz Memorial and will represent us very well. We need more like him for obvious reasons, but it takes money. If anyone read the Flo Wrestling article 3 weeks ago on tax statements returned for wrestling clubs they saw that PSU had 5.7 million dollars donated annually. The next closest was Iowa at 550k. We have been operating on a budget of about 50k. Just think about that staggering difference. However, we can make a difference. Listen, with some people getting behind this effort a 150k budget is possible. That leads to 3 sponsored athletes. That's 3 guys competing for an Olympic spot for us. That's 3 guys to improve every kid on our team. That's 3 guys to draw recruits. With 250k, thats 6 guys. One at every Olympic weight class. That means we need guys willing to donate 100$ a year, 50$ a year, 500$ a year. It gets you no points from Pitt, but the money donated is so pure. It goes directly to making are kids better. There is. I question as to where it is spent. If you listened to Coach Gavin's interviews when hired, he says over and over again, an RTC is the only way to win. He's right. Ask PSU. It's how the get all those recruits. Ask OSU. Gavin was there when they built that RTC. It's the most direct way you will ever help Pitt sports. It's tax deductible. Go to the Pittsburgh Wrestling Club website and click on donate. Every little bit helps. We may not be great the next year or 2 but this thing is gonna grow and we will be very good soon. Not PSU, no one will, but we will be back on top of the ACC if we get the financial support to get monsters in here to train with our guys. Sorry for typos, I'm on my phone. H2P

I don't think PSU gets that much in New donations every year. I think it got a multi-million dollar gift and a lot of its operating budget is from the income generated by that gift.

There is no other sport I can think of where the quality of assistants and others (like from the wrestling club) is nearly as important in recruiting as it is in wrestling. Cornell is a perfect example. Because they have a four-time NCAA champion training there, they have gotten two great recruiting classes in a row of wrestlers within 2 weight classes of him (up and down). The chance to train with him brought all of those recruits to Cornell.

Thom, thank you for your donation to the PWC and RTC. You were very generous and it is greatly appreciated. The donations pay for many things. For example, Conor Youtsey salary and insurance are paid for by the club. He is a great kid, very intelligent, works his butt off with every roster kid we have from 125 to 149 and is a huge asset to the program. Trust me when I tell you he is very bright and has a great future ahead of him. Second, when our kids go to freestyle tournaments such as university nationals, or the US open, the club Pat's for them to go and to be coached by one of our coaches. The freestyle piece makes them better and is a huge recruiting piece. Third, the Olympic Regional Training Center which was up and running for the first time this spring/summer. We have kids from within 250 miles that comeback to train in our room as long as they qualify. This requires placing in one of several prestigious freestyle tournaments but also the PIAA state tourney. Needless to say almost every kid we are recruiting is eligible and it gives them a chance to train in our room with our coaches and our team guys. We have one sponsored athlete in the RTC. This means we pay this young man to train at Pitt and to train our kids. We need one at all 6 Olympic weight classes, but obviously this will take time and money. We have one and his name is Samat. He is a world class wrestler who has medaled in several prestigious events including the Asian championships and the Dave Schultz Memorial open. The last Pitt guy to medal at events of this caliber was Keith Gavin. He has been great in the RTC practices working with and essentially schooling all our lighter weight guys as well as lighter weight recruits eligible to come to RTC. I have been told by several people how tough he is and how much better he is making people in our room. He will compete for Pittsburgh RTC in the upcomg Dave Schultz Memorial and will represent us very well. We need more like him for obvious reasons, but it takes money. If anyone read the Flo Wrestling article 3 weeks ago on tax statements returned for wrestling clubs they saw that PSU had 5.7 million dollars donated annually. The next closest was Iowa at 550k. We have been operating on a budget of about 50k. Just think about that staggering difference. However, we can make a difference. Listen, with some people getting behind this effort a 150k budget is possible. That leads to 3 sponsored athletes. That's 3 guys competing for an Olympic spot for us. That's 3 guys to improve every kid on our team. That's 3 guys to draw recruits. With 250k, thats 6 guys. One at every Olympic weight class. That means we need guys willing to donate 100$ a year, 50$ a year, 500$ a year. It gets you no points from Pitt, but the money donated is so pure. It goes directly to making are kids better. There is. I question as to where it is spent. If you listened to Coach Gavin's interviews when hired, he says over and over again, an RTC is the only way to win. He's right. Ask PSU. It's how the get all those recruits. Ask OSU. Gavin was there when they built that RTC. It's the most direct way you will ever help Pitt sports. It's tax deductible. Go to the Pittsburgh Wrestling Club website and click on donate. Every little bit helps. We may not be great the next year or 2 but this thing is gonna grow and we will be very good soon. Not PSU, no one will, but we will be back on top of the ACC if we get the financial support to get monsters in here to train with our guys. Sorry for typos, I'm on my phone. H2P
Have you posted this info on the Pitt Panther Fanatics facebook page? They have a lot of members who may be unfamiliar with Pitt wrestling, but who may be willing to donate to help it succeed if they are made aware of this. Thanks for posting.

Is the RTC a separate entity from the PWC or is everything coming out of the same pool of funds?

Also, what I have gathered so far is that the wrestling staff would prefer donations to go to the PWC/RTC, rather than the Wrestling Championship Fund, and that the Panther Club would prefer donations to go to the Wrestling Championship Fund. Is this accurate? I don't really care about getting Panther Club Priority Points, but I would like to have the benefit of being on the list to buy NCAA tickets from Pitt's allotment when I donate. Does the PWC have any say in that or does the Panther Club control it?

Is the RTC a separate entity from the PWC or is everything coming out of the same pool of funds?

Also, what I have gathered so far is that the wrestling staff would prefer donations to go to the PWC/RTC, rather than the Wrestling Championship Fund, and that the Panther Club would prefer donations to go to the Wrestling Championship Fund. Is this accurate? I don't really care about getting Panther Club Priority Points, but I would like to have the benefit of being on the list to buy NCAA tickets from Pitt's allotment when I donate. Does the PWC have any say in that or does the Panther Club control it?

The RTC and the PWC are the same. Its just that the PWC is now a regional training center as well as a kids club. Thats the way I always understood it. I could be wrong but imagine this is how most university's do it. Like the NLWC at psu, its a kids club and a RTC all under the same entity

The RTC and the PWC are the same. Its just that the PWC is now a regional training center as well as a kids club. Thats the way I always understood it. I could be wrong but imagine this is how most university's do it. Like the NLWC at psu, its a kids club and a RTC all under the same entity
Yes the legal entity will remain PWC. It now also has an official RTC under its umbrella. All money donated to the PWC goes directly to both, but honestly all the money is spent on the RTC, training our athletes and the sponsored athletes. The youth club pays for itself with the small fees the youth and high school teams pay to come train.

So basically, to sum it up, the Pitt administration's handling of the wrestling program is a clusterfu*k.
while some of the posts here are disturbing, ill say that Pat Bostick was incredibly responsive to me when I reached out on directing money to wrestling. In fact, he continues to encourage me to commit in writing to donating to wrestling annually. Sorry that some arent getting that same responsiveness, hopefully Pat is overwhelmed by the number of folks throwing money at him!

Reactions: Chaos and Nish67
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT