ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling recruiting rankings.

Rodriguez 125 pounder from Ohio State just came on the market. Pipe dream but would anyone be opposed to giving Patrick Downey a shot? Dismissed from Iowa State and probably won't be allowed back but who knows with their new head coach

Here's what I've found on Pitt's recruiting this season:

per Intermat:

transferred out of Pitt:
03-26-17 Ohio State Te'Shan Campbell North Hills (via University of Pittsburgh) PA 165

Incoming Recruits:
02-16-17 Pitt Will Kaldes Cumberland Valley PA 157
11-16-16 Pitt Joey Thomas South Carroll MD 125
11-09-16 Pitt K.J. Fenstermacher Northampton PA 133
11-09-16 Pitt Colin Cronin Upper Darby PA 141/149
10-29-16 Pitt Tommy O'Brien Wilson West Lawn PA 165/174
10-03-16 Pitt Jake Cherry Central Dauphin High School PA 125/133
09-12-16 Pitt Dallas Bulsak South Park PA 149
04-25-16 Pitt Nino Bonaccorsi Bethel Park PA 184

Earl at d1collegewrestling.net also lists:
Jacob Dunlap Belle Vernon PA 125

per PA's D10 wrestling forum Cole Rickert signed an LOI to Pitt
Cole Rickert Reynolds PA 285

No way on Pat Downey - he's a complete crackpot knucklehead time bomb. Its a shame, too, because he is a great talent and really wrestled well at the US Open.

Reactions: Pittrick1
Reactions: cabe23
The #1 recruiting class is Iowa, and the top two recruits for Iowa are from PA. Pitt can have a top ten class with better local (PA and OH) recruiting. We are not far away.

It can be done but we have to build cred to get those guys commit to Pitt over Iowa or UPS.

Reactions: omega
The #1 recruiting class is Iowa, and the top two recruits for Iowa are from PA. Pitt can have a top ten class with better local (PA and OH) recruiting. We are not far away.
Iowa has two recruits from PA, but only 1 of them is in their top two. That is Lee.

Jeff Upson ranks Pitt #5 with recruits from PA's 2017 class.

http://www.papowerwrestling.com/schools-selected-by-pa-2017-class/

#5 Pittsburgh

#8 Nino Bonaccorsi (Bethel Park); #17 KJ Fenstermacher (Northampton); #30 Colin Cronin (Upper Darby); #39 Dallas Bulsak (South Park); #58 Tommy O’Brien (Wilson); #97 Will Kaldes (Cumberland Valley); #103 Jake Cherry (Central Dauphin); #115 Cole Rickert (Reynolds)

Despite the off-season coaching situation at Pitt the Panthers will welcome in an impressive group of recruits next season. Leading the way is #8 Nino Bonaccorsi who was a 2-time PIAA State runner-up and follows his father Mark and older brother Nick, who both competed for the Panthers. First year head coach Keith Gavin will add a total of eight wrestlers who find themselves ranked in the top 115 of the Class of 2017. Six of those wrestlers are Top 100 seniors. #17 KJ Fenstermacher was a 3-time PIAA State Medalist finishing third the last two seasons while #30 Colin Cronin was a 2-time State Medalist who took third in 2017. Three wrestlers from Central PA will be making the move to Pittsburgh with State Medalist #58 Tommy O’Brien, 4-time State Qualifier #97 Will Kaldes, and 3-time State Qualifier #103 Jake Cherry. #39 Dallas Bulsak is staying close to home as the 2-time PIAA State Medalist from South Park is making a short trip north.

Those rankings are for recruits from PA. Those are not national rankings for individuals or for teams. We are # 5 only for PA recruiting. We should be # 2 only behind PSU.

Yes, I know this ranking is only for "recruits from PA's 2017 class", which is why I titled my post that way. Hopefully, no one thought Pitt had the #5 overall recruiting class this year! ;)
Everyone knows and discusses the talent-rich pool of PA HS wrestlers, so it's certainly a good place to start with talented recruits.
The article gave some good background info on the incoming PA recruits, so thought I'd share it here. Pitt won't become a top 5 or top 10 contender overnight, but I'm looking forward to seeing them climb.

I hope so also, but his is not a strong recruiting class at all. Only one of the recruits would be expected to possibly be an all American.

Did anyone watch Beat the Streets? Olympic Gold medalist Kendall Cross was interviewed between matches. He is now running a new NYC RTC. He commented that the RTC was going to build up Columbia's program, even before he mentioned preparing athletes to win World and Olympic medals.

I am glad that Keith Gavin gets it. A Pittsburgh RTC is a necessity. Does anyone have a clue how much it will cost to operate an RTC?

Reactions: papride1
There are either 28 or 30 state champions in wrestling in PA because there are two divisions, 2A and 3A, and either 14 or 15 weight classes I think. So the bottom line is we signed ZERO state champions. And, that is encouraging why?

In his first class, Peters signed 3 PIAA champions and an Ohio and Wisconsin state champion just by way of comparison.

There are either 28 or 30 state champions in wrestling in PA because there are two divisions, 2A and 3A, and either 14 or 15 weight classes I think. So the bottom line is we signed ZERO state champions. And, that is encouraging why?

In his first class, Peters signed 3 PIAA champions and an Ohio and Wisconsin state champion just by way of comparison.

Mike412, I get that you are one of those guys that enjoys being negative but you are pretty clueless so I'll try to help you out... This recruiting class is Peter's recruiting class, not Gavin's. Gavin's first recruiting class will be the 2018 class. And there are 14 weight classes in high school.

Right: 14 weight classes times two different divisions, 2A and 3A, equals 28 champions. Do you think signing zero of 28 PIAA champions is a recruiting job well done? And Peters may have started recruiting this class but he was gone before they signed LOIs. The point is that the OP called this a promising start for Gavin. He gets credit -- and deserves it -- for keeping these guys from bolting by asking to be released from their LOIs, but this class is not ranked in the top 25 by either Intermat or Flo Wrestling. Next year, it will be his class, but this class, on paper, doesn't give him a great deal to work with and I would not classify it as a promising start. He will have trouble beating any ACC team other than Duke next season. That was my point.

Right: 14 weight classes times two different divisions, 2A and 3A, equals 28 champions. Do you think signing zero of 28 PIAA champions is a recruiting job well done? And Peters may have started recruiting this class but he was gone before they signed LOIs. The point is that the OP called this a promising start for Gavin. He gets credit -- and deserves it -- for keeping these guys from bolting by asking to be released from their LOIs, but this class is not ranked in the top 25 by either Intermat or Flo Wrestling. Next year, it will be his class, but this class, on paper, doesn't give him a great deal to work with and I would not classify it as a promising start. He will have trouble beating any ACC team other than Duke next season. That was my point.

Well you said 14 or 15 so I was just helping you out and letting you know it was 14 weight classes in high school. Peters was not gone before those kids signed their letter of intent but I do agree that it is not a strong recruiting class

Kellen Stout, incoming transfer from PSU, and former (Mt. Lebanon) PA State Champ may be considered a Gavin' recruit.

This is way off. We may not win the ACC, but we won't be 5th.

Reactions: singregardless
Does anyone have any idea who we offered this past season? Did we offer kids who didn't finish the season on the top of the podium, or did we offer the 28 state champs and miss on all of them?

Those rankings are for recruits from PA. Those are not national rankings for individuals or for teams. We are # 5 only for PA recruiting. We should be # 2 only behind PSU.
Agreed but PITT wont get to # 2 until they begin to get the PA kids interested in PITT early on.
PSU has numerous youth camps like this one in the Lehigh Valley in Eastern PA. Remember the top two HS teams in the PA State team and individual championships were Nazareth and Bethlehem Catholic. Right behind them is Easton, Northhampton, Parkland, Liberty, Freedom, etc. The Lehigh Valley is a small area with some of the best wrestling in PA and the country.

Penn State Lehigh Valley hosts youth camps (PHOTOS)

Some 175 local campers enjoying a wide variety of camps this week at the Penn State Lehigh Valley campus in Upper Saucon Township. The Penn State Lehigh Valley youth camps are week-long, half-day camps that include writing, visual arts, Lego engineering ...

PSU also has the PSU Youth Wrestling Club with events on the main campus, and Sanderson's Journeymans Wrestling Clinic, + many other youth and HS events.
Sanderson has buzz and national/world name recognition!

Hopefully PITT starts up a similar youth/HS program/programs and the new coach gets out to camps and clinics in and outside of PA.

"Hopefully PITT starts up a similar youth/HS program/programs and the new coach gets out to camps and clinics in and outside of PA."

http://www.pittsburghwrestlingclub.com/

"In order to better serve the wrestling community, the PWC is more than doubling the amount of practices offered this year as well as offering more competition opportunities. In an effort to grow our youth membership, the PWC has added separate youth/junior high practices. High Schoolers will also benefit from the separate practices as well as additional practices from years past.

The PWC is the premiere training center in the area. It is the longest established club in Pittsburgh and offers elite coaching with the best wrestling facilities in the region. Practices are held at the University of Pittsburgh’s Fitzgerald Field House and run by the University of Pittsburgh’s wrestling coaches and athletes."

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
Thank you for clarifying, heck of an athlete I feel the sky is the limit for him if he just would concentrate of wrestling

I thought that he was going to a prep school for football. He is a talented wrestler, and may be too small for football in the long run. I had a chance to hang out with Jordan Leen for a while at freestyle states, and he was telling someone else how this staff understands that there are potential star wrestlers that did not win high school states for one reason or another. Sanders placed higher than Keith Gavin ever did in high school. If they see the talent, they will research the intangibles.

Reactions: persp
I thought that he was going to a prep school for football. He is a talented wrestler, and may be too small for football in the long run. I had a chance to hang out with Jordan Leen for a while at freestyle states, and he was telling someone else how this staff understands that there are potential star wrestlers that did not win high school states for one reason or another. Sanders placed higher than Keith Gavin ever did in high school. If they see the talent, they will research the intangibles.
Missed his senior season

Rodriguez 125 pounder from Ohio State just came on the market. Pipe dream but would anyone be opposed to giving Patrick Downey a shot? Dismissed from Iowa State and probably won't be allowed back but who knows with their new head coach

It looks like we're going to get another big local transfer that'll help at 125/133

Last edited:
Started getting into wrestling when my friends kid started his high school career. Question, do they have a loi day like in other sports??? THANKS!!!

Started getting into wrestling when my friends kid started his high school career. Question, do they have a loi day like in other sports??? THANKS!!!

Wrestling has an early signing period in November and a regular signing period that starts in April.

Reactions: bschulter
ADVERTISEMENT