ADVERTISEMENT

wrestling recruiting

Warriordan

Freshman
Gold Member
Aug 13, 2001
does anyone know if pitt is done with recruiting or do the have anymore scholarships to give.

They are still recruiting. They will probably sign some kids after states. I do not believe there is money for any top recruits. Best bet for top recruit would be via transfer.

Last edited:
I have no knowledge of possible transfers, but that is usually quiet until NCAA's are over.

They are still recruiting. They will probably sign some kids after states. I do not believe there is money for any top recruits. Best bet for top recruit would be via transfer.

Who are the top kids in Pa? UPS will get them but I was just wondering.

Virtually all of the big name PA guys have already committed at this point. And Ohio State was the big winner in PA this year.

I'm sure there may be a few "diamond in the rough" type guys to take a shot with though.

Saenderson is very particular about the PA wrestlers he recruits. He only went after Teasdale after Suriano wanted to transfer. Rutherford, Joseph and Nolf are from PA, but most of their wrestlers aren’t. I think Hall is from Minnesota and Nickels from Texas. I don’t know where the 197 pounder is from (who replaced the kid from Kiski). He really isn’t our primary competition for PA kids.

Cael was always recruiting Teasdale. Teasdale left Iowa before Suriano decided to transfer. PsU will recruit all the elite PA kids. He just cannot take all of them.

Saenderson is very particular about the PA wrestlers he recruits. He only went after Teasdale after Suriano wanted to transfer. Rutherford, Joseph and Nolf are from PA, but most of their wrestlers aren’t. I think Hall is from Minnesota and Nickels from Texas. I don’t know where the 197 pounder is from (who replaced the kid from Kiski). He really isn’t our primary competition for PA kids.

Thank you, interesting info.

Pitt has not been recruiting competition because the only thing Pitt had was a coach that was a nice guy, a great school/city, and tradition.

Ohio State was nothing until Ryan built a program with an RTC. Penn State was nothing and only became a threat when Lorenzo told the administration he was not coming unless they checked all the boxes on his golden ticket...and they did. Then they doubled down with Sanderson and the RTC.

Build Gavin and Co a facility and give them time to fill their slots at the RTC and watch what happens. The athletic department at Pitt has not done a damn thing for wrestling for decades except for asking alumni for donations to "The Golden Panthers" (to bring a blast from the past). Van rides and Wendys compared to four star training tables and charter plane and bus rides that OSU and PSU have been working with.

You guys act like Pitt is suppose to be the JV. What Pitt has done in the past has been phenomenal compared to what the athletic department was investing. There is no reason Pittsburgh Highschoolers should want to go to some cow pasture that makes you walk two miles in the snow to get to class, when they could get their degree at Pitt in the city of Pittsburgh...if the wrestling program offer the same opportunities for success.

Things are changing and Gavin and Co understand the modern landscape. The athletic department is about to give 9.4 million to a guy they just fired. What would one million do for a new facility or out of state scholarship fund.

I said it several times already. It is going to be fun watching this program grow now that there is a different attitude and new type of leadership.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT