ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling scholarships

Pitt_97

Head Coach
Gold Member
Aug 9, 2001
This is likely something I could look up myself with some intense Googling but I figured someone here may be "in the know".

For a D1 wrestling team, how many scholarships are the maximum available per the NCAA (akin to 85 in football)?

Furthermore, how many of that number are actually funded at Pitt?

Thanks!

This is likely something I could look up myself with some intense Googling but I figured someone here may be "in the know".

For a D1 wrestling team, how many scholarships are the maximum available per the NCAA (akin to 85 in football)?

Furthermore, how many of that number are actually funded at Pitt?

Thanks!

Pitt 97. There are 9.9 scholarships in D1 wrestling. Full (100%) scholarships are rare and even the very elite recruits typically receive a fractional scholarship. To the best of my knowledge Pitt is funding all 9.9. However, I am not certain.

I do not understand that .9, anyone have any ideas why 9.9 and not 10? Just seems weird.

Yes. It used to be 11 scholies, but NCAA made a 10% reduction in scholies: thus, now 9.9.

In state, out of state, no difference. You can give 9.9 full scholies out of state or in state.

In state, out of state, no difference. You can give 9.9 full scholies out of state or in state.
There’s a big difference between what in state students pay vs out of state...it’s the equivalent of 9.9 IN STATE tuition dollars.

That makes sense. Do football and basketball base scholarships on in-state tuition? That seems less likely.

The 9.9 does not relate to instate or out of state. It is a total of 9.9 scholies. The only difference is that instate saves money for the athletic dept, but does not change the 9.9 number. Also a partial scholie for instate student also allows instate wrestler RP pay less money for tuition.

There’s a big difference between what in state students pay vs out of state...it’s the equivalent of 9.9 IN STATE tuition dollars.

Thom is correct. We’re able to aware 9.9 scholarships no matter what state they’re from. It’s based on the percentage of total tuition so a 50% scholarship to a student from Ohio costs Pitt $21,000 but a PA student would only cost Pitt $16,000. However it counts the as .5 scholarship from our 9.9 allotment.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT