ADVERTISEMENT

WRs are needed more than anything

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Losing Minchey hurts but realistically, he was 3 years away from being an above average P5 QB. What this program needs more than anything are WRs. That position group has never been worse. Wayne is probably gone. Means and Mumpfield are G5 level and the young guys dont appear to be any good since they cant even sniff the field. I dont know how, but Duzz is going to have to upgrade the talent there and quick.

Losing Minchey hurts but realistically, he was 3 years away from being an above average P5 QB. What this program needs more than anything are WRs. That position group has never been worse. Wayne is probably gone. Means and Mumpfield are G5 level and the young guys dont appear to be any good since they cant even sniff the field. I dont know how, but Duzz is going to have to upgrade the talent there and quick.
They’re a bigger problem than QB and OC. If we had a true #1 receiver, no one would be crying about Cig or Slowvis.

So Slovis is gonna come back now right ? Tell us Nostradamus , where is Wayne going ? NFL ? what round ?

So Slovis is gonna come back now right ? Tell us Nostradamus , where is Wayne going ? NFL ? what round ?
I dont think Slovis comes back. I think he transfers down to G5 to a more pass-friendly offense. Or maybe lower P5. Maybe like Oregon State needs a QB or something.

Wayne transfers to a pass-friendly offense or tries the NFL.

• Haha
Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Our wide receivers aren't great - I get that. But they're a lot better than we're giving them credit for. If Mumpfield and Means are hit in stride against WVU, it's two touchdowns. If Wayne is hit in stride against UNC, it's two or three touchdowns. If Mumpfield and whoever else that was the other day are hit in stride, it's two touchdowns.

We've gotten more production out of worse 1-2 combos than Wayne and Mumpfield.

But yes, we do need to improve the receiving room. Obviously the staff realizes this, too, as we had four committed before Bradley even left the team. Hopefully we can keep the three we have left. I doubt it, but I'm hopeful. Obviously Barden is moving on. If Alston is seeing so little playing time given the situation, he might also choose to move on. Need to pick up two transfers on top of the three recruits. Hopefully that Seymore trip to Auburn doesn't materialize, also.

cant imagine too many good college WRs entering the portal would be looking to play in this type of offense with a very undetermined QB situation..

Reactions: Pitt79
cant imagine too many good college WRs entering the portal would be looking to play in this type of offense with a very undetermined QB situation..

Can you imagine the tape we'd be showing them from this season?

"And here's one... you can see we were gonna throw the ball here, but we decided to audible to a run. But you see how we had two receivers in the game? Yeah, we were gonna throw it. Not kidding; we seriously considered it."

Lyke needs to get some serious NIL partnerships with alum/boosters serious money. Until that’s done there will be no elite or even competent receivers or anything else coming here. Bib Means is what you get for the kind of deals she has arranged up to now.

The QB situation is sadly more determined than ever. Slovis. Slovis. And more Slovis. Yesterday will only make Duz triple down on Slovis being the only guy next year. No matter how he sucks.

Patti or a transfer, maybe Jurkovec

We're not going into a season with Patti as the likely starter. We're just not. He is in his 5th season with this team and can't even get on the field if Slovis drops 5 passes into the defenders' chest and we've only scored 3 points. The statue known as Joey Yellen was ahead of him on the depth chart two years ago. At what point can we discern that the staff isn't enamored with him?

A good QB, who makes better and quicker decisions, would make these WRs look a whole lot better. I realize they’re not always readily available but I’d rather have a better QB. Doesn’t mean we can’t use upgrades at WR, but give me the QB 10/10 times.

We're not going into a season with Patti as the likely starter. We're just not. He is in his 5th season with this team and can't even get on the field if Slovis drops 5 passes into the defenders' chest and we've only scored 3 points. The statue known as Joey Yellen was ahead of him on the depth chart two years ago. At what point can we discern that the staff isn't enamored with him?
And then he beat out Yellen and Beville for the #2. This year, he beat out Yarnell. I don't believe the staff wants him to be the starter next year but can they bring in a transfer who is better? Getting the QB from Troy or the 3rd string QB from Texas doesn't guarantee that they will be better.

And then he beat out Yellen and Beville for the #2. This year, he beat out Yarnell. I don't believe the staff wants him to be the starter next year but can they bring in a transfer who is better? Getting the QB from Troy or the 3rd string QB from Texas doesn't guarantee that they will be better.

Yarnell had a LisFranc injury last November or something that I'm guessing sidelined him until at least Summer Camp. The fact that they have Slovis so far ahead of him that there is virtually no threat of ever going to the backup is telling.

Plus, Patti knows we're going to shop the transfer market. Is he really going to roll the dice on returning to Pitt AGAIN? I doubt it. I think he either drops to a lower level or just hangs it up. But I'm betting on the former, as I think a competitor like him would want at least one shot to be the guy.

I would handicap next year's starter as:

Slovis - 55%
Transfer - 40%
Yarnell - 5%

A good QB, who makes better and quicker decisions, would make these WRs look a whole lot better. I realize they’re not always readily available but I’d rather have a better QB. Doesn’t mean we can’t use upgrades at WR, but give me the QB 10/10 times.
This is just like the posts of the Tino years. I’ll accept (grudgingly) that the backups we have now stink and aren’t better than Slovis or he’d play them. But what is it with these coaches, multiple of them, that insist on continuing to re-sink The titanic each season with the same guy? Graham, Christ both too lazy, stupid or both to raid the Juco ranks to bring in actual competition for the position and never did. It was maddening.

YOUR CURRENT GUY BLOWS, SUCKS, AND REEKS. HE RUINED THIS SEASON AND WILL CLEARLY RUIN THE NEXT ONE TOO. GO. GET. SOMEONE. ELSE. Get multiple guys, to hedge the bets. Push out the chattel we have sucking up scholarships now. Don’t feel bad doing so. It’s not “ruthless”. They’d be happier playing in FCS getting actual action in real games. It’s doing them a favor. There’s nothing special about being at Pitt standing incessantly with the red cap and clipboard. They likely are miserable in fact. How would YOU feel watching Slovis stink week in and out and you can’t even get one meaningful snap? Especially the guys like Patti who’ve been here so long he thinks Tree Tipton is a transient. But Yarnell too, if they think so lowly of him. And why is the guy from Cornell or Vassar orwhatever even there? But particularly Patti. Bluto Blutrasky is supposed to be a movie gag, not a career model. Get on with your life’s work.

It’s easier than ever now to get new players. Untold QBs who have done acceptably or better at the G5 level, just aching to be poached. It’s professional sports, it’s a business, treat it like one.

Losing Minchey hurts but realistically, he was 3 years away from being an above average P5 QB.
Three years away huh? so by the time he leaves ND, then goes to UTEP or Rutgers, maybe by 2025 we can get him from the portal for his senior year :)

All it takes is one guy to come here as the #1 receiver. It doesn’t have to be a pass first offense for the #1 receiver to put up big numbers.

It’s funny how brainwashed Pitt fans by the current regime are that only classic dropback legs in quicksand pocket passers are legitimate QB prospects. Ignoring what is successful literally everywhere else in football. If your QB isn’t mobile and elusive and tough, anda threat to take off on a dime, forget it. Yeah it helps if he can complete some passes but 10 step drop pocket passing might be the LEAST important trait. Imagine what Duz would do with Lamar Jackson, and how that would work out (shudder). Actually what he’d do is make LJ a backup LB and the guy would flee, which frankly is what would have happened with Minchey, now that we think about it … so the guy was smart to go. Though we could def use a LB…dam.

It’s funny how brainwashed Pitt fans by the current regime are that only classic dropback legs in quicksand pocket passers are legitimate QB prospects. Ignoring what is successful literally everywhere else in football. If your QB isn’t mobile and elusive and tough, anda threat to take off on a dime, forget it. Yeah it helps if he can complete some passes but 10 step drop pocket passing might be the LEAST important trait. Imagine what Duz would do with Lamar Jackson, and how that would work out (shudder). Actually what he’d do is make LJ a backup LB and the guy would flee, which frankly is what would have happened with Minchey, now that we think about it … so the guy was smart to go. Though we could def use a LB…dam.
Exactly, we wouldn't want Tebow or Manziel either, their mechanics aren't pro quality or whatever BS, bottom line is, it doesn't matter if the QB is ever going to be good in the NFL, that doesn't have any correlation to being a COLLEGE hall of fame QB.

Exactly, we wouldn't want Tebow or Manziel either, their mechanics aren't pro quality or whatever BS, bottom line is, it doesn't matter if the QB is ever going to be good in the NFL, that doesn't have any correlation to being a COLLEGE hall of fame QB.
Sigh. That seems to be mentality. We like to run… but only to run like it was 1974. QB is there to hand off, and occasionally drop back and throw bubble screens on 3rd and 14.

• Haha
Reactions: Pitt79
ADVERTISEMENT