ADVERTISEMENT

WV's Offense vs Pitt's Defense

May 21, 2010
I know we are stacked on the DL and have good depth in the secondary but is our LB corps capable of stopping the short passes? I ask this because WMU beat the hell out of our LBs last year and we did not change defenses in the game to a cover 2 or 3 much! Can we get pressure rushing 3 with a hidden blitz or that too risky? I do not want a high scoring game and giving up 30+ pts. Thoughts?

Reactions: Kevincush
I know we are stacked on the DL and have good depth in the secondary but is our LB corps capable of stopping the short passes? I ask this because WMU beat the hell out of our LBs last year and we did not change defenses in the game to a cover 2 or 3 much! Can we get pressure rushing 3 with a hidden blitz or that too risky? I do not want a high scoring game and giving up 30+ pts. Thoughts?
We've been assured that WVU is blowing Pitt out in front of their home crowd so there isn't any point losing sleep over it.

We've been assured that WVU is blowing Pitt out in front of their home crowd so there isn't any point losing sleep over it.

soapbox.jpg

So take the mounties and the pts?
I don't know. Something like 92% of the bets are for WVU to beat the spread but the money is even. You can kind of make your own assumptions about who is betting their pocket change but with the future Heisman QB and the superiority of the Big12 conference, Pitt is doomed. Tennessee is lucky they're not playing WVU.

In all seriousness, I am very worried about the matchup, not in terms of the personnel but the scheme.

Contrary to what Hoopies like to say, their new OC Graham Harrell is nothing much to boast about and if you listen to USC fans they think he’s pretty awful. But his air raid, never establish the run, scheme is Narduzzi’s Achilles Heal if J.T Daniels is able to face pressure and make throws. Getting pressure on J.T early and often is absolutely crucial. If not it’ll be a very stressful day for our young secondary and our fans.

Last edited:
Reactions: HailToPitt725
In all seriousness, I am very worried about the matchup, not in terms of the personnel but the scheme.

Contrary to what Hoopies like to say, their new OC Graham Harrell is nothing much to boast about and if you listen to USC fans they think he’s pretty awful. But his air raid, never establish the run, scheme is Narduzzi’s Achilles Heal if J.T Daniels is able to face pressure and make throws. Getting pressure on J.T early and often is absolutely crucial. If not it’ll be a very stressful day for our young secondary and our fans.
Do they really pass more than UNC or UVA did last year? A lot of schools with a competent offense will put points up in CFB. Have to get some stops and create a turnover or two. Then Pitt's offense has to do their job.

Reactions: Farnox
Do they really pass more than UNC or UVA did last year? A lot of schools with a competent offense will put points up in CFB. Have to get some stops and create a turnover or two. Then Pitt's offense has to do their job.
Well UNC’s game actually relied on their ability to establish the run with Howell and Chandler. UVA is closest to what we’re gonna see with WVU but I would not feel confident with that kind of game considering our offense might still be feeling things out without Pickett/Addison and a scheme change.

Well UNC’s game actually relied on their ability to establish the run with Howell and Chandler. UVA is closest to what we’re gonna see with WVU but I would not feel confident with that kind of game considering our offense might still be feeling things out without Pickett/Addison and a scheme change.
I'd keep in mind that nobody is crowing about WVU's defense.

I don't know what will shake out but Pitt is a good football team with at least seven or eight guys that could play there way onto NFL rosters next year.

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg

Young SECONDARY? Seems very experienced to me!

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty

Where do you get that our secondary is young all our starters are seniors ,do your homework before you post nonsense

Come on man you're clearly a hoopie fan Howell and Armstrong are way better qb's than wvu had and way better offenses stop spilling your nonsense

I don't know. Something like 92% of the bets are for WVU to beat the spread but the money is even. You can kind of make your own assumptions about who is betting their pocket change but with the future Heisman QB and the superiority of the Big12 conference, Pitt is doomed. Tennessee is lucky they're not playing WVU.
That last sentence is correct. We did just play Tennessee a couple of years ago and rocked them just like we're gonna rock Pitt. As I recall, the UT crowd was similarly pompous and confident pre-game. That lasted about 15 minutes into the game......

That last sentence is correct. We did just play Tennessee a couple of years ago and rocked them just like we're gonna rock Pitt. As I recall, the UT crowd was similarly pompous and confident pre-game. That lasted about 15 minutes into the game......
Not sure how loud I'd brag about beating a school that got blown out by Vandy, that year.

With this statement, how can you say that you aren't similarly pompous and confident pre-game? I've seen a lot of WVU fans putting a lot of emphasis on the fact that JT Daniels is now their QB, and while he is talented, its going to take much more than that. I, admittedly, do not know a great deal about the WVU team, but from what I have heard their supposed weaknesses are secondary and running back, and I know that DL is one of their better position groups, but if we are all being as objective as humanly possible (I know thats hard for people on both sides) we should all be expecting a close, hard-fought game on Thursday September 1st

Reactions: Mr.Hyde

Have we faced a true air raid system under Narduzzi? I'm thinking Harrell is going to be Holgorsen 2.0, or Leech at MSU. It was those slants from WMU that caused the most problems. Air raid isn't like that.

Reactions: Kevincush
3 are returning starters hill,hallett,and Williams do your homework before you post here
Ditto. Do your freaking research before posting garbage. Actually, I heard DB coach Collins say 5 of them ( Williams, Woods, Devonshire, Hallet & Hill ) all played over 500 snaps last year. You're right, no experience.

What branch campus did you graduate from? Dummy.

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
I feel the sarcasm ... I just don't have a good feeling going into this game ... IMO
Wish it was further into the schedule after taking some reps and bumps ..
IMO .. Would make great for a good ole fashion Turkey Day event ..
H2P !!!

Do they really pass more than UNC or UVA did last year? Two examples of blood pressure maximizers and why he said he worries...

ADVERTISEMENT