ADVERTISEMENT

WVU and a Brown out?

Saboteur II

Senior
Gold Member
Sep 21, 2020
Reading where West Virginia is going to announce the firing of Neil Brown today.
I give them credit…they want to win.

Reading where West Virginia is going to announce the firing of Neil Brown today.
I give them credit…they want to win.
Weird. Just a few months ago Neil Brown was a genius, and ace recruiter, and was going to run the table in the Big12 after beating Pitt.

Also remember a not to distant time when Pitt changing coaches this quickly was loudly mocked by their fan base so sure, this is a power move for them.

Reactions: ThePanthers
Thought you were going to say the fans were going to organize something where they all wear brown (a brownout) to proclaim that they want Brown out. That would have been pretty funny, and I assume they all own a pair of Carhartt overalls to be able to pull it off.

Maybe we can make a run at Donaldson and/or some of their recruits. Although a guy like Gallagher is bound to the NIL money, so I don't know if it matters who the coach is.

Seems like Fisher is going to inevitably end up there, but the money is probably too high now.

The Dude says Hugh Freeze so that won't happen.
Hugh Freeze would be a great get. Seems like he could do better though.

If I'm Narduzzi, I'd hire the Graham Harrell/JT Daniels package. Harrell doesn't even have to sell his house. Maybe he can also bring Donaldson with him.

Reactions: GlennEM
Yes, he's great. As evidence his team last year went 4-8 and staff was fired, and this year they're 3-6 with a staff about to get fired. Fantastic!
Cignetti's most recent gigs as OC before Pitt:

Boston College total offense:
2021 - 106th in the country
2020 - 70th in the country

Boston College scoring offense:
2021 - 96th in the country
2020 - 65th in the country

St Louis Rams total offense
2015 - 297.6 ypg (dead last in the NFL)

St Louis Rams scoring offense
2015 - 17.5 ppg (29th in the league)

And you love that hire. So why would you dislike a guy who performed better than Cignetti in each of those years?

Weird that you're crediting USC's win/loss record to the offensive coordinator. He average more yards per game and points per game than Cignetti's mighty BC squad in those years. Is it possible that USC's defense (98th in the country in points allowed last season) might have been the problem? Efficiency is really what matters, though.

BC 2020 - 54
BC 2021 - 93

USC 2020 - 41
USC 2021 - 44

And don't give me the Jurkovec excuse, because he blows.

Or, you know, we could just look at this year:

Scoring offense:
WVU - 45
Pitt 67

Total offense:
WVU - 56
Pitt 65

So, basically, any fact points to Harrell being the better coordinator, and you still manage to come up with a BS spin on reality. Telling.

Last edited:
I don't care about Cignetti and this isn't about him. And me not blaming everything on the OC doesn't mean I love the guy.

This is about you salivating over an OC who keeps getting his HCs fired because of losses. That's what is weird. Harrell would be an absolutely terrible hire for Pitt.

The purpose of offense is to score more than your opponent. All air raid offenses put up stats. Stats aren't worth shit without wins. See Kedon Slovis for validation.

I don't care about Cignetti and this isn't about him. And me not blaming everything on the OC doesn't mean I love the guy.

This is about you salivating over an OC who keeps getting his HCs fired because of losses. That's what is weird. Harrell would be an absolutely terrible hire for Pitt.

The purpose of offense is to score more than your opponent. All air raid offenses put up stats. Stats aren't worth shit without wins. See Kedon Slovis for validation.

Hmm... let's see. Frank Cignetti was the offensive coordinator for the St Louis Rams in 2015. Jess Fisher got fired after that season.

Again, why did Harell get Clay Helton fired? They were 5-1 in 2020 and 4-8 in 2021, but it was pretty clear that the defense was the problem, just as it's clear that West Virginia's defense (100th in total yards, 120th in points allowed) is a much bigger problem than their offense this season. To say that Harrell got Neal Brown fired is actually kind of funny.

And I'm pretty sure I included points in my total above. You know, those things that help you wins games. Cignetti is your typical raised-in-the-business journeyman. He'll eventually come full circle and be back at IUP.

Hugh Freeze would be a great get. Seems like he could do better though.

If I'm Narduzzi, I'd hire the Graham Harrell/JT Daniels package. Harrell doesn't even have to sell his house. Maybe he can also bring Donaldson with him.
I really, really doubt Freeze makes the jump back to the P5 for WVU. Auburn is the most natural fit if they don't go for Kiffin.

Hmm... let's see. Frank Cignetti was the offensive coordinator for the St Louis Rams in 2015. Jess Fisher got fired after that season.

Again, why did Harell get Clay Helton fired? They were 5-1 in 2020 and 4-8 in 2021, but it was pretty clear that the defense was the problem, just as it's clear that West Virginia's defense (100th in total yards, 120th in points allowed) is a much bigger problem than their offense this season. To say that Harrell got Neal Brown fired is actually kind of funny.

And I'm pretty sure I included points in my total above. You know, those things that help you wins games. Cignetti is your typical raised-in-the-business journeyman. He'll eventually come full circle and be back at IUP.
What air raid teams are known for their defenses? Most air raid teams have poor defenses and they play to outscore the other team.

Yeah, let's bring the air raid to Pitt. Maybe the dumbest thing posted in a while.

What air raid teams are known for their defenses? Most air raid teams have poor defenses and they play to outscore the other team.

Yeah, let's bring the air raid to Pitt. Maybe the dumbest thing posted in a while.

Hmm, perhaps that's why I posted the offensive efficiency statistics in anticipation of this response.

But that kind of contradicts your own argument, as BC still sucked even with the better defense.

It's whatever, though; I don't care if we don't get Harrell, and I know Narduzzi would never do that anyway, because it wouldn't protect his precious defensive stats. I just know Cignetti sucks.

Last edited:
I really, really doubt Freeze makes the jump back to the P5 for WVU. Auburn is the most natural fit if they don't go for Kiffin.

What are the details of the contract he just signed at Liberty?

He campaigned for the recent openings at Auburn, South Carolina, and Tennessee and didn't get any interest. Not sure he can do much better.

Auburn is freaking circus. Unless it's a huge jump in pay and you don't have other options, I have no idea why a coach would want to be a part of that mess.

Hmm, perhaps that's why I posted the offensive efficiency statistics in anticipation of this response.

But that kind of contradicts your own argument, as BC still sucked even with the better defense.

It's whatever, though; I don't care if we don't get Harrell, and I know Narduzzi would never do that anyway, because it wouldn't protect his precious defensive stats. I just know Cignetti sucks.
Why are you so focused on Cignetti?

If you want to replace him why would anyone settle for Harrell. He's not even a good air raid guy.

If you want to replace him why would anyone settle for Harrell. He's not even a good air raid guy.

Because Cignetti blows.

Because we're allowing teams that should have been buried beneath the shit heap before halftime to stick around in games (including Western Michigan and Virginia Tech in the 4th quarter; I'm not just talking about the losses).

Because, with our starting tailback out, only two wide receivers even had a target this past Saturday, and an anemic offense that mustered 145 total yards had a chance to tie the game on its final possession.

Because I am sick of watching guys who don't even know where to line up, and that's on the coaching.

He campaigned for the recent openings at Auburn, South Carolina, and Tennessee and didn't get any interest. Not sure he can do much better.

Auburn is freaking circus. Unless it's a huge jump in pay and you don't have other options, I have no idea why a coach would want to be a part of that mess.
Yeah...gonna be real interesting to see who the Hoopies come up with. After buying out Brown and his staff...It would seem that they wouldn't have the reserves to spend on the buyout of the successor. Cue the hoople heads telling me how much money Oliver Luck et al have generated for them. Anyway, it would seem that would limit the pool to G5 or lower type coaches. Since they went that route last time and bagged him within 5 years....

Wonder if they bring back RichRod...the devil you know vs the devil you don't type thing.....

The guy they should take a chance on but won't (I really hope they don't) is Brian Harsin (former Auburn/Boise St coach). He did pretty good at a school with low academic standards (Boise) and I think that he would do well at WVU.

I don't think a pure air raid guy would work here. People still make fun of left lane hammer down here so I can imagine how air raid would go over.

But the current approach isn't working. We need to find a way to put points on the board, we aren't built for keeping it close in the 4th quarter every week and hope the defense holds on for a 17-14 win.

Reactions: Gunga_Galunga

Those jobs were almost two seasons ago. That's two more seasons of winning, and current #19 ranking, to help take the stink off his violations.

His new contract is reported to be very buyout friendly if he jumps to a P5 team. Likely because he's tired of his hookers showing up dressed as choir boys because of their usual clientele.

Yeah...gonna be real interesting to see who the Hoopies come up with. After buying out Brown and his staff...It would seem that they wouldn't have the reserves to spend on the buyout of the successor. Cue the hoople heads telling me how much money Oliver Luck et al have generated for them. Anyway, it would seem that would limit the pool to G5 or lower type coaches. Since they went that route last time and bagged him within 5 years....

Wonder if they bring back RichRod...the devil you know vs the devil you don't type thing.....

The guy they should take a chance on but won't (I really hope they don't) is Brian Harsin (former Auburn/Boise St coach). He did pretty good at a school with low academic standards (Boise) and I think that he would do well at WVU.

Agree about Harsin, though do buyouts usually stipulate where you forego x amount if you get another P5 job?

Rich Rod probably gets another crack at P5 someday if he keeps winning at lower levels (he's only 59). But I doubt it would be this year and never at WVU.

I'm surprised Brown hasn't worked out there. I think he eventually ends up being successful at another P5 program. Still pretty young.

Reactions: Saboteur II
Those RichRod years has spoiled WVU fans like the Dorsett-Green-Marino era has Pitt fans. It created unreasonable expectations. WVU is essentially Iowa State.

Yup. Inflated expectations of WVU and RichRod. Turns out that was just a great match and he never should have left.

The Hoopies should just hire Kendal Briles and be done with it. He's young, familiar with the Big 12, and I don't see them getting an established coach.

Those RichRod years has spoiled WVU fans like the Dorsett-Green-Marino era has Pitt fans. It created unreasonable expectations. WVU is essentially Iowa State.

Yep. I might not go as far as Iowa State historically, but they're definitely a little disillusioned from that period. Or at least they were: They may have sucked long enough by now to appreciate a coach who can mostly win at least 8 games consistently.

Per David Hale, we had the 6th highest success rate of any team in the country. Typically when you dominate a team like that, you win by 30+ points. Against Louisville, we had the highest success rate of any team that lost. Pretty sure we had the highest, or close to it, success rate of any team that lost against Georgia Tech.

Thus, you can't convince me that this is a talent issue as much as it is an issue of playing a style of football that allows for much worse teams to stick around in games.

perfect storm. Big East without Miami & Virginia Tech was ripe for the taking. Plus his offense was still new, caught everyone off-guard. Look what they did to Georgia and Oklahoma. I don't think RichRod would have maintained that level of success to this day.

perfect storm. Big East without Miami & Virginia Tech was ripe for the taking. Plus his offense was still new, caught everyone off-guard. Look what they did to Georgia and Oklahoma. I don't think RichRod would have maintained that level of success to this day.

I think even Slaton and White came out of nowhere. Slaton was a low recruit who might have changed positions or something, and White was put in a game because of an injury. Perfect storm, indeed.

Not much unlike Pitt basketball, I guess.

Agree about Harsin, though do buyouts usually stipulate where you forego x amount if you get another P5 job?

Rich Rod probably gets another crack at P5 someday if he keeps winning at lower levels (he's only 59). But I doubt it would be this year and never at WVU.

I'm surprised Brown hasn't worked out there. I think he eventually ends up being successful at another P5 program. Still pretty young.
They probably do state that...but from WVUs persepctive...they would be getting a pretty good coach and not have to pay a buyout. Plus...if they knocked a mil or mil and a half off....Harsin would make up the difference with the Auburn buyout.

Brown, to me, is a guy made for the deep south with a tank full of gas recruiting budget. It seems to me that he had the deer in the headlights look too many times and will have to develop a little more in the Sun Belt...

Per David Hale, we had the 6th highest success rate of any team in the country. Typically when you dominate a team like that, you win by 30+ points. Against Louisville, we had the highest success rate of any team that lost. Pretty sure we had the highest, or close to it, success rate of any team that lost against Georgia Tech.

Thus, you can't convince me that this is a talent issue as much as it is an issue of playing a style of football that allows for much worse teams to stick around in games.
Pitt has obvious talent issues on offense.

The combined 3 games you mentioned, Pitt had 9 turnovers while their opponents only had 1.

Pitt has obvious talent issues on offense.

The combined 3 games you mentioned, Pitt had 9 turnovers while their opponents only had 1.

Turnovers have been a big problem, yes. Like calling a WR pass when you're driving the ball down the opponents' throats or a pass play where 4 guys end up in the same spot and the corner of the end zone looks like a Twister board.

The problems have been a medley of things, but I have heard this system really sucked the enthusiasm out of a lot of the players on that side of the ball. Ultimately, it all points to the guy in charge of the offense.

Reactions: sonofabit
Pitt lost several games against GT and Louisville by having turnovers in the red zone. This has to stop. Plus they had chances for interceptions against GT that could have changed the score. Unfortunately installing a new offense with Pitt's talent level takes time to develop. Others to blame special teams (penalties) and defensive laspes.

Turnovers have been a big problem, yes. Like calling a WR pass when you're driving the ball down the opponents' throats or a pass play where 4 guys end up in the same spot and the corner of the end zone looks like a Twister board.

The problems have been a medley of things, but I have heard this system really sucked the enthusiasm out of a lot of the players on that side of the ball. Ultimately, it all points to the guy in charge of the offense.
I think the the system is fine if they had a QB and some WRs.

The Wayne pass was asinine. Now do the other 8 turnovers, or did you just single that one out because it was a ridiculous play call?

ADVERTISEMENT