ball.

We need Hugley, but we
need a lot more than that.
We have some tough pre
league games coming up,
starting with Michigan.
Let's see what happens.

Last edited:
Getting Hugley back will have minimal effect on final results. He'll help in points scored, but the losses will still come because of the HUGE deficit in coaching we'll suffer every night. Look at last night for an example of what it will look like during the ACC schedule. Again.

It's possible we'll pull out a couple of league wins where people will say, "See, we're better than we thought we were". But this is still the same coaching staff and head coach and nothing will change until he's gone. No real offensive sets, dribbling, dribbling, dribbling, poor porous defense. That's all coaching and game preparation.

Last edited:
Gee , I wonder why.
Both teams are loaded
with transfers. WVU
looked like they were
in mid - season form.
Pitt?,,,, If that doesn't
show the difference
between Huggy and our
guy, I don't know what
does.
Ok, the talent difference
was obvious, but how
the two coaches used
their talent speaks IMO,
volumes. WVU spread
the floor, worked the ball,
and got great looks.
Pitt? COACHING!
Do we even have an
offensive set. Cummings
works hard, but he's not
a true pg. Overdribbling
against WVU's pressure D
is a recipe for disaster. In
a game like this Hinson
HAS to be inside using
his height and bulk.

Speaking of D, the difference
wasn't just talent. Huggy's
teams always play pressure
D. Difference is, they're
coached how to do it. Did
anyone notice our zone D?
Awful, as usual. Our man D
was beaten on and off the
ball.

We need Hugley, but we
We have some tough pre
league games coming up,
starting with Michigan.
Let's see what happens.

I think West Virginia would have beat a lot of teams last night including ranked teams. I thought they played really well on both ends of the floor. I don't know what their potential / ceiling is, but they have a frontcourt that is going to cause serious trouble for others and two 5th year seniors in the backcourt.

I think West Virginia would have beat a lot of teams last night including ranked teams. I thought they played really well on both ends of the floor. I don't know what their potential / ceiling is, but they have a frontcourt that is going to cause serious trouble for others and two 5th year seniors in the backcourt.
Well, they are better
talent wise than we
are, but IMO compared
to us, they were in
mid - season form.
They did look good,
we'll see how they do
in their conference.

Gee , I wonder why.
Both teams are loaded
with transfers. WVU
looked like they were
in mid - season form.
Pitt?,,,, If that doesn't
show the difference
between Huggy and our
guy, I don't know what
does.
Ok, the talent difference
was obvious, but how
the two coaches used
their talent speaks IMO,
volumes. WVU spread
the floor, worked the ball,
and got great looks.
Pitt? COACHING!
Do we even have an
offensive set. Cummings
works hard, but he's not
a true pg. Overdribbling
against WVU's pressure D
is a recipe for disaster. In
a game like this Hinson
HAS to be inside using
his height and bulk.

Speaking of D, the difference
wasn't just talent. Huggy's
teams always play pressure
D. Difference is, they're
coached how to do it. Did
anyone notice our zone D?
Awful, as usual. Our man D
was beaten on and off the
ball.

We need Hugley, but we
We have some tough pre
league games coming up,
starting with Michigan.
Let's see what happens.
WVU played flawlessly. Like they were progammed. Huggy is a HOFer for a reason

Reactions: jctrack
YeA bUt HuGgY is In HiS 17th yEaR aNd CaPeL iS oNlY iN yEaR 5.

By year 5, or as you said yEaR 5, Capel should be able to put a better game plan and have better game preparation than he has repeatedly shown. Granted, Huggins is a HOF coach and light years ahead of Capel. But by year 5, any competent head coach should have done much better than Capel has done in all aspects of the game, including recruiting. Even an incremental improvement by year 5. But it's not there.

Correct about Huggy
being a HOF coach, but
there's nothing fancy
about what his teams
do. It's basic offense,
and basic man defense.
Offense, spread the
floor, cut, work the
ball, and move with
and without the ball.
Hit the boards, and hit
them hard.

Post game, he said they
create chaos on D. He
almost says it happens by
accident. That's tongue
in cheek for sure...THAT
D is no accident. He has
his players overplay and
literally get in their man's
jock. If you don't, there's
hell to pay. There's no
exotic zone presses,
fancy offensive schemes.
It's all out, 100% effort
on both ends. It doesn't
happen by accident, He's
been doing it this way
for years. HOF for sure!

It takes good athletes to play Huggies defense. West Virginia, had better athletes and more experience. It was evident to anyone who was there in person, that WVU was way quicker at really every position. Not only were they better athletes, they were also better basketball players. A good to great coach could mitigate that advantage to some degree, however, I think if we played WVU 10 times, we would lose all 10 simply because they have better and quicker players and a superior coach. Granted, foul trouble never really allowed us much of a chance.
As for future games, we really need Hugley back to be competitive, and we surely can be competitive in most of our games, including conference games. The biggest worry for me is our defense. Against quicker teams, which most teams we play qualify, we can't seem to stay in front of anybody. If I am HCJC, I am working hard in practice to teach them a 2-3 zone. At this level, they should already know the concepts, it is the finer points that they need to work on. The few times we went zone, it was horrendous. The middle is the weakness, but, with us our middle parts like the red sea. Hope things look a little better next game. Staying out of foul trouble, would be the best place to start.

I still believe Tim O Toole is the only good positron coach on the team.
Not one guard has gotten better since being with this staff
Makes you wonder exactly what degree of vetting the incoming frosh are doing if they see zero development with this staff. A top 100 guard giving his talents to this staff?…makes you wonder.

Reactions: Drew1208
It's very early in the season and we've only played one legitimate opponent. Against that opponent, we showed the lack of talent and coaching we have at this level. I'll wait and see if the talent level on this team improves or if this is a trend of mediocre talent. We already have enough data points to know that the coaching is very poor. We can't change that right now, unfortunately. Hopefully, we'll see some improvements if the talent level is what some on here hyped it to be before the season started.

It’s a funny thing , teams with better players make teams with lessor players look bad !

WVU played a great game , they shot the ball exceptionally well and they where bigger and stronger than Pitt especially with Hugley out . Taking nothing away from Huggy they’d have beaten Pitt easily on Friday if they allowed the student manager coach the team

It takes good athletes to play Huggies defense. West Virginia, had better athletes and more experience. It was evident to anyone who was there in person, that WVU was way quicker at really every position. Not only were they better athletes, they were also better basketball players. A good to great coach could mitigate that advantage to some degree, however, I think if we played WVU 10 times, we would lose all 10 simply because they have better and quicker players and a superior coach. Granted, foul trouble never really allowed us much of a chance.
As for future games, we really need Hugley back to be competitive, and we surely can be competitive in most of our games, including conference games. The biggest worry for me is our defense. Against quicker teams, which most teams we play qualify, we can't seem to stay in front of anybody. If I am HCJC, I am working hard in practice to teach them a 2-3 zone. At this level, they should already know the concepts, it is the finer points that they need to work on. The few times we went zone, it was horrendous. The middle is the weakness, but, with us our middle parts like the red sea. Hope things look a little better next game. Staying out of foul trouble, would be the best place to start.

I basically agree, I do
believe Huggy would
still have an effective D
even with less skilled
athletes. I've always
believed that you can
only get your players
so far on offense. On
the defensive end, if
you get them to "buy in"
you can get them to a
higher level.

Totally agree with your
thoughts on the 2-3
zone. The middle area
weakness is not just
this year. Capel's zone
is awful. While I'm at it,
his offense against zones
is equally as bad.

It’s a funny thing , teams with better players make teams with lessor players look bad !

WVU played a great game , they shot the ball exceptionally well and they where bigger and stronger than Pitt especially with Hugley out . Taking nothing away from Huggy they’d have beaten Pitt easily on Friday if they allowed the student manager coach the team
Well, they were "shooting" layups. The way were able to keep the floor spread allowed their quicker players to get into the lane vs us with ease

ADVERTISEMENT