ADVERTISEMENT

Xavier Johnson Transferring

Really eff him huge disappointment in hcjc we trust
Ok Jason. You should’ve never been hired.

seriously though, an all rookie guard and a top 100 recruit have now transferred. The other top 100 kid is awaiting trial. Does anything think this tenure is anything but an abortion still? Sure, it’s mildly better than Stallings, but it ain’t much better.

I am really good at this.

I have been saying 2 out "the big 3" wont be back. At this point, the odds are on ALL 3.

Johnson isnt a big loss and this is a positive development in my opinion. He has a ton of talent but is just a really bad PG.

Honestly, that first class was just a disaster. Blame it on the shotgun-style recruitment and the fact Capel needed bodies or whatever but those 3 had issues. For several years now, I have said they were similar to Young and Artis with effort/attitude/discipline issues. They acted and played more like holdovers from a prior regime rather than a foundational pieces of a new coach. To make matters worse, his first FULL class was awful.

On its own, this isnt a huge deal because he's a low-level PG who needed to be encouraged to move on. But the greater issue is that almost nobody from his first 2 classes will see their senior year here for various reasons and that obviously comes down on Capel.

Next year is a total rebuild.....AGAIN. We will be the unanimous pick to finish last and are in serious trouble of going like 1-19/2-18/3-17 unless Capel pulls a magician act this Spring.

seriously though, an all rookie guard and a top 100 recruit have now transferred. The other top 100 kid is awaiting trial. Does anything think this tenure is anything but an abortion still? Sure, it’s mildly better than Stallings, but it ain’t much better.
Not to be smug,but I used to coach at a school that sent kids to top NCAA schools and the NBA-and most folks don’t know what goes on behind the scenes. Look at the kids from Pitt—-McGowens was a turnover machine last night-and was 80% responsible for Nebraska’s loss.Not the first time this has happened. Second-Johnson was given a lot more time to adjust than we would have ever given him. It takes an awful lot to turn a high school king into a college team player. Johnson will get his eyes open if he thinks the NBA is in his future. He was damn fortunate to be at Pitt and just couldn’t buy into how a system is run. Thanks for reading this rambling.

I could be frustrated by XJ like everyone else, but this isn’t a celebratory occasion or “addition by subtraction”. The best path forward was with him in the fold next year and trying to fill in around him.

Its absolutely addition by subtraction. We were always going to be terrible next year. I'd rather lose with Femi than a senior PG

Reactions: iMissTheOldDayss

Clear at this point, a bad hire.

Needs an X and O guy added to his staff. Needs a team psychologist added to staff.

coachung and chemistry have been bigger problems than recruiting (though recruiting needs improved as well)

It's fine that we lose a player. But is Capel capable of developing any possible replacements, even those with talent? And what will possible recruits think of Capel either losing players because they're felons or because they are disgusted with their development under this coach? Not a good look for Capel at all. It's completely on his shoulders.

Its absolutely addition by subtraction. We were always going to be terrible next year. I'd rather lose with Femi than a senior PG

What are you adding by taking the most talented guard out of the program? It’s not like he was holding back a young talent or that we have a stud or two lined up. If the objective is to win games, the best path forward was to keep XJ and make the best of it as Capel has provided little to no evidence that he can recruit an adequate replacement.

Reactions: pittjas
What are you adding by taking the most talented guard out of the program? It’s not like he was holding back a young talent or that we have a stud or two lined up. If the objective is to win games, the best path forward was to keep XJ and make the best of it as Capel has provided little to no evidence that he can recruit an adequate replacement.

He is BAD at PG. BAD. I expect Odukale will be better mostly because almost anyone else would be. If he isnt better then we are in deep trouble. You dont play a bad senior PG on a bad team. What's the point? Go with the young guy

The point is that we’re not supposed to be bad next year

Champagnie is gone. Even if Toney stays, and I doubt that, how good would this lineup be:

Johnson
Horton
Toney
Collier/Jeffress
Coulibaly

That's not even close to an NIT team

Glad to see him move on if that’s what he wants. College basketball used to be my third favorite sport behind college football and the NHL but now it’s not even in my radar. Has nothing to do with Pitt sucking for 6 years but more the overall game including cheating scum bag coaches and players who think they are destined to be Kobe Bryant

Glad to see him move on if that’s what he wants. College basketball used to be my third favorite sport behind college football and the NHL but now it’s not even in my radar. Has nothing to do with Pitt sucking for 6 years but more the overall game including cheating scum bag coaches and players who think they are destined to be Kobe Bryant

Do you think those two things are recent things? Lol

I’m not saying we are GOING to be good. I’m saying the goal/plan was to be a S16 team in Y4, not starting another rebuild

Well with Champagnie leaving (and probably Toney), its going to be a rebuild so I'd rather rebuild with a soph PG than a senior

ADVERTISEMENT