ADVERTISEMENT

Xavier Johnson

pittjas

Head Coach
Gold Member
Jan 17, 2016
Pittsburgh
Today should make you appreciate Xavier Johnson and quiet some of the Femi is a savior posters...

Now, it may be very well true that in the long run X leaving is best for the program and locker room.

But he was our most important player, the only player on our team who could consistently create in the ACC.

If you’re going to let him go, we BETTER replace him with someone with a similar ability to create or it will be a long, long season next year.

Today should make you appreciate Xavier Johnson and quiet some of the Femi is a savior posters...

Now, it may be very well true that in the long run X leaving is best for the program and locker room.

But he was our most important player, the only player on our team who could consistently create in the ACC.

If you’re going to let him go, we BETTER replace him with someone with a similar ability to create or it will be a long, long season next year.
We lost with him
We will lose without him
He quit the team
Move on

Who said Femi is a savior? I for one do like him. He has a good handle and can get to the rim. I think he can grow into a solid PG, but he definitely has a long way to go especially shooting.

Reactions: TWPitt
We lost with him
We will lose without him
He quit the team
Move on

Yes but idiot posters on here killed him for years talking about how he sucks and isn’t an ACC PG and how we’d be better with Femi...

We aren’t. Xavier was our most important player and we’re lost without him. Champ isn’t good enough to be the main creator, he’s a secondary type player at this point in his career.

Yes but idiot posters on here killed him for years talking about how he sucks and isn’t an ACC PG and how we’d be better with Femi...

We aren’t. Xavier was our most important player and we’re lost without him. Champ isn’t good enough to be the main creator, he’s a secondary type player at this point in his career.

We are going to lose with Capel regardless, chew on that Soufie

Far too inconsistent. Femi will be better next year

Odukale was the best player in that first half for Pitt, by far.

3 points on 2 shots, 3 boards, 3 assists, 1 steal, 1 turnover, and he indirectly forced 2 more turnovers on defense that resulted in steals.

NC State is shooting 35% as a team. This is the best defense we have played in a long while and Odukale has been the top defender by far in that first half.

Champ on the other hand is 2-10 shooting with a technical foul. We can start there for a bad half. AKC is 0-2 shooting, Horton 0-3 shooting. 3 Pitt starters are shooting 2-15 in this game. Those numbers will improve next half.

Reactions: CougarClaws

That’s what fans do. People were calling for Nick Patti. Or the next cornerback in line when someone gave up a deep pass. Because “they can’t be any worse”. And usually when the next guy comes in, he is indeed worse.

Literally nobody said that except a complete idiot
We are going to lose with Capel regardless, chew on that Soufie
Enjoying the family time, eh?

Johnson sucks at winning. Better without him. Toney is the loss

Why is it we have no one committed for next year? And you hear nc st has this good class coming in.

Reactions: Drew1208

X is a good example of how POOR Capel's recruiting is Heather Lyke should resign for extending Capel's contract.

The loss of any starter on team with limited talent is a loss . X was the most exciting and the most frustrating player I can ever remember on a Pitt team .

Its harsh to say , but Pitt wasn’t winning with X and Toney and unless something remarkable happens with recruiting they weren’t going to win next yr either with them . If they were as much a distraction as it appears they were Pitt is better off without them and start the process of retooling .

Femi's gonna be just fine bro.

Femi's gonna be just fine bro.

Probably. But he does a lot of the same things that people bitch about Johnson for doing. He overdribbles too often. There are too many possessions where he decides that he is going to take the shot, no matter what. But he's a freshman, so you'd like to think that he will play his way out of that as his career goes on.

Of course we said the same thing when Johnson was a freshman.

Probably. But he does a lot of the same things that people bitch about Johnson for doing. He overdribbles too often. There are too many possessions where he decides that he is going to take the shot, no matter what. But he's a freshman, so you'd like to think that he will play his way out of that as his career goes on.

He's a freshman coming off a broken arm for God's sake.

He's a freshman coming off a broken arm for God's sake.

Odukale has 5 assists and 1 turnover in this game.

Last 11 games for Odukale

33 assists, 11 turnovers

3-1 assist to turnover ratio for Odukale in last 11 ACC games combined as a freshmen.

Odukale is only going in one direction from here. Up, way up. There is no comparison to X here, none.

Hes a freshman. X never changed his game. 1 start 18pts 5 assists 1 turnover, 5 reb Hopefully Femi improves on his game and becomes a more complete point guard.

The real problem was - we were also lost with him.

Hard to believe we are bitching about Femi who just went for 18-5-5 without a bunch of turnovers on a day his teammates couldn't hit open looks. I mean that's fantastic for his first game as a starter, right?

Last edited:

Good call🙄.

The real problem was - we were also lost with him.

Hard to believe we are bitching about Femi who just went for 18-5-5 without a bunch of turnovers on a day his teammates couldn't hit open looks. I mean that's fantastic for his first game as a starter, right?

Indeed -- he looked really good.

Where Pitt missed Johnson was when they needed an easy basket late down 4-6 (we had a lot of experience at that under him). He always seemed to be able to blow by and get easy layups to keep us in the game.

Why is it we have no one committed for next year? And you hear nc st has this good class coming in.

No program does as less with more than NC State. They consistently have Louisville-level talent and win at the rate of like GT. They fired Mark Gottfried to hire Mark Gottfried.

I just listened to the post game press conference.

Odukale is going to be one hell of a team leader and captain.

All his answers are about team, family, togetherness, and all his answers are about winning. Nothing about his stats, nothing about himself, only about the team and winning. No mentions of the letter "I". No saying "I" did great. Or, I need to do this more to get to the NBA.

IE:

Question asked:

What does a game like this do for your confidence?

Answer word for word, and its sounds different than the last 2 players that left

It builds "our" confidence going into the next game against Wake Forest. "We" just have to keep practicing hard. "We" just have to keep communicating. "We" want to get ready for the next one. " We" want to prove everyone wrong.

It took one single game for Odukale to officially pass X's 2 1'2 years of weak leadership and understand the concept of "we", "team", "together", and not the single letter, "I"".

There is no "I" in spelling of the word "team".

This kid is going to be a star.

I just listened to the post game press conference.

Odukale is going to be one hell of a team leader and captain.

All his answers are about team, family, togetherness, and all his answers are about winning. Nothing about his stats, nothing about himself, only about the team and winning. No mentions of the letter "I". No saying "I" did great. Or, I need to do this more to get to the NBA.

IE:

Question asked:

What does a game like this do for your confidence?

Answer word for word, and its sounds different than the last 2 players that left

It builds "our" confidence going into the next game against Wake Forest. "We" just have to keep practicing hard. "We" just have to keep communicating. "We" want to get ready for the next one. " We" want to prove everyone wrong.

It took one single game for Odukale to officially pass X's 2 1'2 years of weak leadership and understand the concept of "we", "team", "together", and not the single letter, "I"".

There is no "I" in spelling of the word "team".

This kid is going to be a star.
I can already see that no matter what he does in his career there will be fans who will try to tear him apart just like they did to James Robinson. I like what I see from him. He plays under control, sees the court, has a good basketball IQ and is a physical guard. His shooting is a question mark at this point and maybe he will never be that go-to #1 scoring option, but he seems like a hard worker with good leadership potential.

Don’t recall any “Femi is the savior” posts but I do remember a ton of “Wish Xavier, Trey and Au’Diese knew their limitations and responded to coaching” ones. Never saw (3) kids and their parents and handlers so delusional. Good, solid program kids but not one superstar, sure fire NBA player in the bunch despite the nonsense people around them have filled their heads with.

Well yeah, sure. Like I said, he's probably going to be just fine.

But out of curiosity, does a broken arm cause overdribbling, or is it a bonus? Does it cause forced shots, or is that a feature?
Ball movement has been a problem the past three years. Dribble. Dribble. Dribble. The coaching staff has not been able to get this straightened out. A big worry for me.

Never saw (3) kids and their parents and handlers so delusional. Good, solid program kids but not one superstar, sure fire NBA player in the bunch despite the nonsense people around them have filled their heads with.

I am concerned that this is the culture in the program, all of a sudden Champ is a Technical foul guy?
Something seems off.

Reactions: Atlanta Panther
All I know is that I thoroughly enjoyed the ACC Network post-game analysts drilling into X and Toney, especially X. You don't see people called out like that too often anymore. They even showed the tweet from Aamir Simms at Clemson knocking X. Even current league superstars are railing them. It was great.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT