ADVERTISEMENT

You know who'd look good in a Pitt uniform

Fsgolfdr

Head Coach
Jan 6, 2012
Parker Stewart

Pitt has a lot of quickness in their 4 guard offense , but their shooters ....well your watching !
A lot of kickouts to an open shooter are available.

I’d have zero complaints had he stayed under Capel. He’s replaceable, we just haven’t replaced him yet. He would’ve absolutely helped.

That would me stallings would be coaching...no thanks.
I guess you'd prefer guys who just force the dribble into the lane ...what do you think is going to happen against quick teams with solid inside players .

Frame is going to get a lot of open looks this year. It will be interesting to see if his consistency and FG% take a jump up if he doesn't need to force shots like he needed to do last year.

Parker Stewart

Pitt has a lot of quickness in their 4 guard offense , but their shooters ....well your watching !

Parker Stewart

Know who would really look good in a Pitt uniform?

A couple of talented quality big men!

Last edited:
Frame is going to get a lot of open looks this year. It will be interesting to see if his consistency and FG% take a jump up if he doesn't need to force shots like he needed to do last year.
He's a volume shooter and when he's in the flow he's pretty
good , but with one shot to win the game I'll take PS .
Pitt will get penetration from these guys , hopefully they'll shoot the ball better as the season goes on .

but with one shot to win the game I'll take PS .

It would depend on whether the defense was going to leave him wide open or if they were going to guard him hard. Because if it was the first one he's clearly the guy, but if it's the second one he simply isn't getting a decent shot off.

Reactions: Chescat
He would give up more points than he scored.
Last time I checked you have to score to win and having a five guys whose idea of an open shot is a dunk or layup won't get the job done against more talented teams . Having at least one guy whose deadly from three pt range might soften up a defense .
I know making absolute assumptions after one game is silly , but what I saw numerous times last night was wide open mid range jumpers passed up to drive to the hoop to for contested dunks and layups . If I was an opposing coach I'd just pack my defense in closer to the hoop and make Pitt beat me from the perimeter.

Last time I checked you have to score to win and having a five guys whose idea of an open shot is a dunk or layup won't get the job done against more talented teams . Having at least one guy whose deadly from three pt range might soften up a defense .
I know making absolute assumptions after one game is silly , but what I saw numerous times last night was wide open mid range jumpers passed up to drive to the hoop to for contested dunks and layups . If I was an opposing coach I'd just pack my defense in closer to the hoop and make Pitt beat me from the perimeter.
Last I checked , with Parker we managed to win zero acc games-
So, he’s not the answer you believe he is

Funny thing about 1 designated shooter, is they are likewise very easy to defend.

Reactions: rrig5
It would depend on whether the defense was going to leave him wide open or if they were going to guard him hard. Because if it was the first one he's clearly the guy, but if it's the second one he simply isn't getting a decent shot off.

Exactly! He couldn't ever create a shot last year. He also had no floor game,
and his defense was the worst I've ever seen. No way Capel gives a guy
like this significant playing time.

Reactions: rrig5
Parker's place on this defense-first minded team would be right next to that offense-only player from last season, Stevenson, and that is right on the bench.

Pitt's emphasis against YSU was to attack the rim. Most of Pitt's points came from the paint on the direction of HCJC.

Good shooters will emerge this year when HCJC's game plan calls for it.

For those who seem to have forgotten, Parker's shooting in the beginning of last season was horrendous. He was allowed to play through that bad stretch and eventually found his shooting touch.

The same will happen this year when Pitt's first year players get into their normal playing rhythm.

Please stop with this Parker nonsense. Simply put, and like Shamiel, he doesn't fit HCJC's approach to ACC basketball.

This guy.

th

I totally agree with your explanation of what it takes offensively to win. I also
agree with "I'd pack my defense in" when playing Pitt. You're so right about
the need of someone to hit "wide open and mid range jumpers." on this team.
With all of that said.....the last, and I mean the very last guy I'd want to fill
that need is a one dimensional, no floor game, shooter who can only hit
when left alone by the defense. Speaking of defense, have you ever seen
anyone worse than Parker? IMO this guy would not see much floor time
with Capel as the coach.

Parker's place on this defense-first minded team would be right next to that offense-only player from last season, Stevenson, and that is right on the bench.

Pitt's emphasis against YSU was to attack the rim. Most of Pitt's points came from the paint on the direction of HCJC.

Good shooters will emerge this year when HCJC's game plan calls for it.

For those who seem to have forgotten, Parker's shooting in the beginning of last season was horrendous. He was allowed to play through that bad stretch and eventually found his shooting touch.

The same will happen this year when Pitt's first year players get into their normal playing rhythm.

Please stop with this Parker nonsense. Simply put, and like Shamiel, he doesn't fit HCJC's approach to ACC basketball.
So Capel will just turn on the outside shooting when he wants?? Impressive.

Agree that Pitt lacks good outside shooting at this point. But after watching the game last night, it is clear as day to me that we have athleticism we have not had in quite some time. McGowen, Johnson, Tony, Ellison are all better athletes than anyone who stepped on the floor last season.

Sure Stewart is a good outside shooter but he has to be wide open and he can't do anything else. Not sure he is the guy we should be wishing for.

Of course we need outside shooters. Stewart is not the answer. You have to be able to get stops when the outside shots are not falling. We lost every ACC game last year because when the shots wouldn't fall, they kept taking them. When they continued to miss them, they couldn't stop anyone at the other end, so close games turn into double digit deficits in the blink of an eye. That's where Stewart became a liability. He couldn't cover anyone, and his man constantly beat him.

Last night, we went through a few stretches of missed shots, but we defended at the other end and got stops or steals. We were able to turn them into points by running the floor...something else Stewart couldn't do. We also got YSU into the foul bonus quickly in the second half because we didn't stand around the three point line and launch shots all game.

Parker Stewart

We need that short white 5’9 guard that comes off the bench and drains 4 three pointers in 2 minutes. That Timmy Glover type who can’t play extended minutes cause he’d get exposed but can come in on short bursts and score 9 points in 2 minutes.

You do know we played Youngstown St Correct??

Welcome to the site. Hope your first day here is good.

Last year we lost to Navy and Montana to start the year. Our guard play, I mean Pitt's guard play since you are likely not a Pitt fan, is already better because they can get to the rim and they played well defensively.

Stewart was 0-5 for 0 points in the Navy game and 1-4 for 5 points in the Montana game. Stewart and Carr had 25 points combined during the first two games. Johnson and McGowens had 33 points last night. I don't care who they played, they will be better than our guards last year because they had way too many weaknesses, including not being able to defend anyone.

Last edited:

Parker Stewart

I agree with this— JWF should see a lot of open looks and not be counted on so heavily to make contested shots and be our only drive and score threat.

I agree with this— JWF should see a lot of open looks and not be counted on so heavily to make contested shots and be our only drive and score threat.

I appreciate his work ethic but he made himself to be a complete jackass getting suspended. He is a volume shooter and Stallings let him shoot 9203973409370927340923 shots last year. The team might be better without him even playing. We'll see when he gets back but I would rather run with the freshmen and have hope. 2 of them are good. If Toney is good too, we have a bright future with 3.

I appreciate his work ethic but he made himself to be a complete jackass getting suspended. He is a volume shooter and Stallings let him shoot 9203973409370927340923 shots last year. The team might be better without him even playing. We'll see when he gets back but I would rather run with the freshmen and have hope. 2 of them are good. If Toney is good too, we have a bright future with 3.

Dude. He got suspended for one game. You're making an absurdly big deal about this. Pitt will need his scoring this year.

Last I checked , with Parker we managed to win zero acc games-
So, he’s not the answer you believe he is

Funny thing about 1 designated shooter, is they are likewise very easy to defend.

So that's why, on a historically bad Pitt team last year, with almost no one for the defense to focus on except Parker Stewart, he shot 40%+ from 3? Because it's easy to stop a designated shooter?

Reactions: Fsgolfdr
Of course we need outside shooters. Stewart is not the answer. You have to be able to get stops when the outside shots are not falling. We lost every ACC game last year because when the shots wouldn't fall, they kept taking them. When they continued to miss them, they couldn't stop anyone at the other end, so close games turn into double digit deficits in the blink of an eye. That's where Stewart became a liability. He couldn't cover anyone, and his man constantly beat him.

Last night, we went through a few stretches of missed shots, but we defended at the other end and got stops or steals. We were able to turn them into points by running the floor...something else Stewart couldn't do. We also got YSU into the foul bonus quickly in the second half because we didn't stand around the three point line and launch shots all game.
I'm not implying that Pitt needs 5 guys like PS , but the last time I looked you have to outscore the opposing team to win . So having a player whose able to knock down the 3 and extend the defense is a plus . When Pitt starts playing ACC teams it won't be so easy to drive past your defender for an easy bucket . Pitts players passed up wide open mid range jumpers last night to drive into traffic . A guy with any confidence in his shot knocks down the easy jumper .
Bottom line is every team needs a guy who can extend a zone and if you want that guy to also be a great defender your talking about one and done guys .

So that's why, on a historically bad Pitt team last year, with almost no one for the defense to focus on except Parker Stewart, he shot 40%+ from 3? Because it's easy to stop a designated shooter?
I would have been fine with him staying but I don't think he had a very high ceiling. Now i know this is just two games from last season but i think back to Syracuse. The first game he lit them up and i don't think they expected it. The second time around they put a little more focus on him and totally different result.

I think it would be good to have a guy come off the bench and be a shooter but i just see him with a very limited role.

Actually he was 71-184 from 3; this is 38.6%. The more telling % is that he shot
38.3% in all field goals 90-235. He actually shot a better % on his threes.
WHY?...well it's pretty obvious, he was more open from three land and didn't
have to create; a good stand still shooter. Why then couldn't he shoot better on
attempted 2 pt field goals??....even more obvious, he was being more closely
guarded, and having no floor game, he couldn't create his own shot. This is
a sign of a very one dimensional player...good stand still shooter, no floor game,
and can't create, or get anything off the dribble.
More proof??...He was excellent from the three throw line...80%. Once again,
he's a good stand still shooter.
His D?..LOL...not even going there. LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: H2P 2003
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT