ADVERTISEMENT

You want another example of Pittsburgh media bias?

ratking17

Head Coach
Mar 15, 2009
So I just watched kdka and channel 4 weather at noon to see what tomorrow looks like. I have a 4 hr drive to Pittsburgh so I want to be prepared. Both of their Friday noon telecasts say nothing about weather for the pitt game but they have special graphics and make note of the morgantown weather with pics of wvu and psu.

Yeah...Channel 2 has had the Pitt script over Saturday all week when doing the weather. While Pitt is the center of our collegiate sports universe, the PSU/WVU is of more interest than Pitt/Kent State to the general public. Pittsburgh news stations do have a broader range of broadcast than Pittsburgh proper. So covering all of their bases.

Reactions: Burgh15 and Fk_Pitt
So I just watched kdka and channel 4 weather at noon to see what tomorrow looks like. I have a 4 hr drive to Pittsburgh so I want to be prepared. Both of their Friday noon telecasts say nothing about weather for the pitt game but they have special graphics and make note of the morgantown weather with pics of wvu and psu.

With Conomikes gone, WTAE went from most Pitt friendly local station to now a huge nitter station. Junker was a big reason, but he's gone now and they still have a lot of nitter love. Andrew Stockey is the new driving force for some reason. They have led with PSU games over Pitt many times in the past few years.

KDKA is the best for Pitt coverage.

You honestly watch local news for a weather forecast?

With Conomikes gone, WTAE went from most Pitt friendly local station to now a huge nitter station. Junker was a big reason, but he's gone now and they still have a lot of nitter love. Andrew Stockey is the new driving force for some reason. They have led with PSU games over Pitt many times in the past few years.

KDKA is the best for Pitt coverage.
In fairness - their team has been far more relevant than Pitt lately

Wouldn’t weather.com or the weather app be a more efficient way to get the weather report?

Reactions: Frabjous
Good god. People are complaining about weather graphics that hardly anybody sees?
“What are you talking about? It’s incredibly important”

Signed,
(We Have To Br Ranked So We Are On The) ESPN Scroll Guy

Isn't local news better than my weather app??? I always thought local forecasts were more accurate
Weather apps updates by the second, Ratking. So watching the local news for the weather is like watching sportscenter to see if Pitt won. So your weather app would be the same as the espn app.

But…the hourly forecast on the weather channel app isn’t good. 99% chance rain/storms at 2pm and a 98% at 3pm.

I remember back in my coaching days, watching the weather app for hourly forecasts and minute by minute radar was vital for practice planning, etc. I knew a guy who worked for the postal service who was privy to some high tech app/radar that wasn’t available to the general public. He swore by it because that’s what they used for work…and it wasn’t really any different than the weather channel app that everyday blokes like me use.

I did notice while listening to the Pat Narduzzi radio show on YouTube that the Post-Gazette keeps touting their “Unrivaled” coverage of college football.

Nitters.

I am quick to criticize the weather forecasters on the news, but give them some credit here -- the rain was an issue down in Morgantown for the WVU game, not really a big problem in Pittsburgh.

In fairness - their team has been far more relevant than Pitt lately
define relevant? I tend to go with the Reese Bobby definition of "if you ain't first, you're last" for relevance...when have they been first in anything lately?

Reactions: 303vND
It’s almost like broadcast range so larger than 20 miles !

Oddly enough, Morgantown is in the Pittsburgh media market but State College is not. In fact it's not even close to being in the Pittsburgh market. Yet all the local stations cover Penn State football much more than they do West Virginia football. Heck, the past couple of years they've barely covered West Virginia at all.

Oddly enough, Morgantown is in the Pittsburgh media market but State College is not. In fact it's not even close to being in the Pittsburgh market. Yet all the local stations cover Penn State football much more than they do West Virginia football. Heck, the past couple of years they've barely covered West Virginia at all.
Oddly enough there are more Penn State alumni and fans living in their market than Pitt or WVU...sad, but true.

if we are covering locations 2 hours away, why aren't the Cleveland Cavaliers given local coverage?
I wonder if Ohio State football gets any coverage by the Cleveland media. Or the Cincinnati media? Does the University of Tennessee football team get coverage from Nashville newspapers?

Marcia, Marci, Marcia

Reactions: Mufasa94
I wonder if Ohio State football gets any coverage by the Cleveland media. Or the Cincinnati media? Does the University of Tennessee football team get coverage from Nashville newspapers?

Marcia, Marci, Marcia

For a know it all, you didn't even answer my question.

Probably didn't even go to the Pitt game, most likely sat in your basement watching the Brady bunch.

EDIT: two days after an impressive debut of the new offensive coordinator and all you care to post about is supposed slights against the Pittsburgh media. Have you ever had a legitimate post regarding Pitt football?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: jtownknowitall
Oddly enough there are more Penn State alumni and fans living in their market than Pitt or WVU...sad, but true.

There are not more Penn State alumni and fans living in the Pittsburgh market than Pitt alumni and fans. In fact it's not even close. And I can't imagine how anyone who lives in Western PA could think so, unless they are pretty oblivious.

There are not more Penn State alumni and fans living in the Pittsburgh market than Pitt alumni and fans. In fact it's not even close. And I can't imagine how anyone who lives in Western PA could think so, unless they are pretty oblivious.

that myth was started by Paterno. The true stat was I believe that Allegheny county had the most PSU alums than any other county in PA. Paterno twisted it to be that PSU had the most alumni than any other college (i.e. Pitt) in Allegheny which is a blatant lie. Of course he was never questioned on it.

Marcia, Marci, Marcia
Why does a Ped St fan such as yourself spend so much time on the message board of a team you don’t even play?

that myth was started by Paterno. The true stat was I believe that Allegheny county had the most PSU alums than any other county in PA. Paterno twisted it to be that PSU had the most alumni than any other college (i.e. Pitt) in Allegheny which is a blatant lie. Of course he was never questioned on it.

There are 87,000 Pitt alums currently living in Allegheny County. There are 30,000 Penn State alumni living in Allegheny County, and that includes the 5,600 who went to Penn State - McKeesport and not their main campus.

There are 87,000 Pitt alums currently living in Allegheny County. There are 30,000 Penn State alumni living in Allegheny County, and that includes the 5,600 who went to Penn State - McKeesport and not their main campus.
I am kind of shocked at that. 3:1? I would have never guessed.

Marcia, Marci, Marcia
You have no idea about OSU football. Within the state as a whole, they far supersede the NFL franchises. You think the Steelers are religion here? That's OSU over there.

You have no idea about OSU football. Within the state as a whole, they far supersede the NFL franchises.
When the two franchises in the state include one that has never won the superbowl and the other's most famous nickname in the past 50 years is "The Bungles" the bar is set pretty low....

When the two franchises in the state include one that has never won the superbowl and the other's most famous nickname in the past 50 years is "The Bungles" the bar is set pretty low....
It is, but that's not it. A family member went to school in Ohio (not OSU), and was shocked when she realized that just about everybody she met from Ohio was an OSU football fan, even though they didn't go to school there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT