ADVERTISEMENT

Your first Pitt jersey

Jsr862

Redshirt
Nov 8, 2017
Was going through some old saved sports clothes and came accorded my Dinocat #25 jersey which was the first jersey ever given to me by my uncle when he started to take me to Pitt games back in 01. I believe at that time it would have been Ramon Walker, my second jersey was an 83 dino cat jersey. Champion brand. Would like to hear others firsts .

Was going through some old saved sports clothes and came accorded my Dinocat #25 jersey which was the first jersey ever given to me by my uncle when he started to take me to Pitt games back in 01. I believe at that time it would have been Ramon Walker, my second jersey was an 83 dino cat jersey. Champion brand. Would like to hear others firsts .
They used to give out youth mesh jerseys in the 80’s at Pitt Stadium. I believe Fralic, Marino, and other big names.

had a Marino jersey when i was a little kid. No idea where it came from and is probably the main reason i became a pitt fan.

Reactions: Jsr862
Surprisingly, the first jersey I had was a Larry Fitzgerald one. Had that one for a while until I got a Tyler Boyd jersey and then a LeSean McCoy jersey last year.

To be honest, I was pretty upset when I spent money on the Shady jersey only for them to come out with the replica retro uniforms a short time later. That’ll be the next one I get.

This is still in my closet. And since clothes were worn so baggy back then, the jersey still fits! I really wish that I had the shorts to go with it. The claw marks going down the sides are the greatest. This was Jerry McCollough''s jersey correct?

Football- In the early 90's Pitt held an equipment sale at the stadium to get rid of all old athletic equipment. I bought a white #2 game jersey. Does anyone else remember that big equipment sale?

Will be my first Pitt jersey. I am not one and way past the age to wear "jerseys". Now polos? Sweatshirts? Hoodies? Fleeces, Wind Breakers, I got tons.

My first pitt jersey was Dan Marino. My first football jersey ever was actually also Marino, a dolphins jersey.

This is still in my closet. And since clothes were worn so baggy back then, the jersey still fits! I really wish that I had the shorts to go with it. The claw marks going down the sides are the greatest. This was Jerry McCollough''s jersey correct?

Football- In the early 90's Pitt held an equipment sale at the stadium to get rid of all old athletic equipment. I bought a white #2 game jersey. Does anyone else remember that big equipment sale?

I had that b-ball jersey as well. Sad I lost it. I always though it Zavackas?

For football, I was given a #24 practice jersey they sold in stores with dinocat on the front. I think it was Dwayne Schulters.

A buddy at Pitt worked with the football program. At some point he found & snagged an old Matt Bloom jersey. Bloom was the guy who went on to wrestle in the WWE as A-Train and Prince Albert. I just looked Bloom up, and apparently he graduated from Pitt with a degree in sign language; who knew?

I still have those shorts... they have been well worn and beaten up through the years playing pick up hoops, but can't bring myself to throw them away. Love them.

A buddy at Pitt worked with the football program. At some point he found & snagged an old Matt Bloom jersey. Bloom was the guy who went on to wrestle in the WWE as A-Train and Prince Albert. I just looked Bloom up, and apparently he graduated from Pitt with a degree in sign language; who knew?

He was a HUGE draw in Japan at one point.

Mine was a #32 that I got my Freshman year in 1984. That was Charles Gladman at the time.

#5 was McCullough's number.And he wore this style for maybe one year?

They used to give out youth mesh jerseys in the 80’s at Pitt Stadium. I believe Fralic, Marino, and other big names.
Yeah, I had those too! They were mesh jerseys - perfect for a kid. However, as I recall, they were in the current WVU colors.

I believe they were of Dorsett, Green, Fralic, May, Marino and Ditka. I had the Dorsett one for years afterwards.

Last edited:

The CORRECT colors!

Matt Cavanaugh's #12. Blue mesh with white numerals trimmed in gold, no stripes. Bought it at a store on Fifth Avenue opposite the hospitals. I don't recall the name of the place but they had a sign in the window on game days with the score. I remember Culture 24, Agriculture 24 in 1983... I bought the jersey in the spring of '77 or '78. One of many purchases from that store.

Never had one. Not a game jersey guy (but almost went with one when that outfit in Asia was selling the cheap knockoffs online after starving 7 year olds with the tender fingers finished stitching them up but that was solely for the purpose of pissing off PittLaw)...Would make me feel like David Puddy going to a Devils game...

Last edited:

Loved that....
Colors are unique, but still close enough to a Navy and Old Gold..

Send a pic up the Hill..lol

Not a jersey, but first item was a Tee.

White with a blue collar and blue PITT on left chest.

Not block
Not old school script
Not script

But the Pitt in Old English Block........

Bring it back..

Speaking of jerseys , didnt Lyke say they would be going back to the royal throwbacks this year or what ? Cause those uniforms from spring game are ugly compared to the throwbacks.

Yup. I bought a white #75 and blue #44 and #87. Gave them away to younger Pitt fans over time. As I recall, the basketball stuff went fast and was priced pretty high, but the FB jerseys were maybe $5 each. THE GEAR GRAB! They held it in the track tunnel at the north end of Pitt Stadium. Wasn't it the year that Majors returned, and the canary-and-royal were put out to pasture in favor of more subdued colors?

#33.... they gave away TD youth jerseys I think it was fall of 1977 after the Heisman and National title season of 1976

Matt Cavanaugh's #12. Blue mesh with white numerals trimmed in gold, no stripes. Bought it at a store on Fifth Avenue opposite the hospitals. I don't recall the name of the place but they had a sign in the window on game days with the score. I remember Culture 24, Agriculture 24 in 1983... I bought the jersey in the spring of '77 or '78. One of many purchases from that store.
It was called “ Your Campus Store”....

I used to go there before every game with my parents as a kid

Got lots of stuff there...

Reactions: Panther Holla
Will be my first Pitt jersey. I am not one and way past the age to wear "jerseys". Now polos? Sweatshirts? Hoodies? Fleeces, Wind Breakers, I got tons.

Is there an age limit on wearing jerseys? I'll have to check the tag to see what the restrictions are.

The only Pitt jersey I ever owned and still wear is a gold #25 from around 2008.

I do own Steelers jerseys dating from 1995-Present.

7-26-33-43-53-75-79-80-95-99

I still wear them all, often to work with cargo pants! :)

Last edited:
I was 12 a PITT 33 jersey, I proudly wore to school. Along similar LINES, mu FIRST GAME was 76 PITT bs. MOUNTAINQUEERS

A game Jersey actually worn by the great TD #33 that was a tear away sewn back together. Have it framed....my favorite.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT