ADVERTISEMENT

YouTube TV?

OH Pete

Head Coach
Gold Member
Jun 25, 2001
I know this has been talked about countless times, but I'm pretty old fashioned when it comes to TV. I've been a DirecTV subscriber for years now basically because they have Sunday Ticket and I need to watch the Stillers on Sundays.

Now that YouTube has Sunday Ticket, I looked at what YouTube Tv offers and it basically has everything I watch. The only channels it doesn't seem to have that I like are the NHL Network and MLB Network. For the close to $170 per month that it will save me, I'm thinking that I don't really need those stations.

Outside of live sports, I watch less than 5 hours of tv per week. I stream everything else I watch and already pay for the streaming services. I already pay for MLB.TV and ESPN+ to watch the Pirates and Pens so that won't be impacted by dropping DirecTV.

Wise decision?

Is the youtube "sports tier" worth it? I never watched the Red Zone channel, so I don't really need that. Outside of when Pitt soccer is on ESPN+ or the ACCN, I watch about 2 hours of non-premier league soccer per year. So I don't really need the Fox Soccer channel. Are the other stations any good? What is BGN Sports? Can't imagine that I'll need it though.

I do plan to upgrade my internet to 1 GBPS from 500 MBPS. So I'm thinking that should be plenty fast enough.

Thoughts?

Reactions: jtbuba
The multiview screen is great. I enjoyed it last week. Just wish they would give you the option to individually choose your channels for multiview.

Sports tier may be good if you're into soccer like you said. I think you mean BEIN sports. They show alot of soccer.

I ditched DirecTV in favor of YouTube TV and it’s been a great change. Like you, I really only watch sports and YTTV has everything you need as a Pitt fan, and sports fan in general. Their app for iOS is very intuitive and easy to navigate. The TV navigation takes a little getting used to but it’s great also. We are very happy with the switch and can’t wait to see how they integrate Sunday Ticket starting this weekend.

I know this has been talked about countless times, but I'm pretty old fashioned when it comes to TV. I've been a DirecTV subscriber for years now basically because they have Sunday Ticket and I need to watch the Stillers on Sundays.

Now that YouTube has Sunday Ticket, I looked at what YouTube Tv offers and it basically has everything I watch. The only channels it doesn't seem to have that I like are the NHL Network and MLB Network. For the close to $170 per month that it will save me, I'm thinking that I don't really need those stations.

Outside of live sports, I watch less than 5 hours of tv per week. I stream everything else I watch and already pay for the streaming services. I already pay for MLB.TV and ESPN+ to watch the Pirates and Pens so that won't be impacted by dropping DirecTV.

Wise decision?

Is the youtube "sports tier" worth it? I never watched the Red Zone channel, so I don't really need that. Outside of when Pitt soccer is on ESPN+ or the ACCN, I watch about 2 hours of non-premier league soccer per year. So I don't really need the Fox Soccer channel. Are the other stations any good? What is BGN Sports? Can't imagine that I'll need it though.

I do plan to upgrade my internet to 1 GBPS from 500 MBPS. So I'm thinking that should be plenty fast enough.

Thoughts?
The short n sweet answer, YouTubeTV is just liking having a regular cable provider, gives you all the same channels for less than what you typically pay for a cable service (although you must have really been paying alot for your cable service if you’re saying YouTubeTV will save you $170 a month. YouTubeTV cost about $72 a month by itself plus add in your internet provider cost).

For me, YouTubeTV was good because of its mobility, same account/service worked at either my Ohio or Florida house.

Other big plus with YouTubeTV is its unlimited and easy/convenient recording features.

Reactions: PittInMissouri
The multiview screen is great. I enjoyed it last week. Just wish they would give you the option to individually choose your channels for multiview.

Sports tier may be good if you're into soccer like you said. I think you mean BEIN sports. They show alot of soccer.
Thanks.
Finally cutting the cord is a bit more of an emotional hurdle than I imagined. But I think it is the right thing to do at this point.

The short n sweet answer, YouTubeTV is just liking having a regular cable provider, gives you all the same channels for less than what you typically pay for a cable service (although you must have really been paying alot for your cable service if you’re saying YouTubeTV will save you $170 a month. YouTubeTV cost about $72 a month by itself plus add in your internet provider cost).

For me, YouTubeTV was good because of its mobility, same account/service worked at either my Ohio or Florida house.

Other big plus with YouTubeTV is its unlimited and easy/convenient recording features.
A lot of the $$ is the equipment. 2 DVRs and 4 other cable boxes, all wireless. That is a big chunk of the expense. Plus, I'm paying for the sports tier so that I can get all the sports networks and outside of the ACCN, I find them pretty useless because they blackout out of market NHL, MLB and NBA games on them. I have so many friggin stations and I pretty much only watch live sports and the 3 major cable news networks. I stream everything else on Max, Netflix, et al. I'm done with it.

Thanks.
Finally cutting the cord is a bit more of an emotional hurdle than I imagined. But I think it is the right thing to do at this point.
The great thing also is that you can just pause your account if you're not using. I also only watch for live sports.

I paused my account back in May when the NBA season was concluding and just turned it back on last week for football season. So, I saved 3 months of payments by pausing.

Wise decision?

Thoughts?
If you can get an antenna to bring in your local channels sling is better. YouTube TVvis fine but keeps going up an up. The price of it plus internet access is almost as much as what you could pay for the lower levels of cable. But certain channels require a higher cable level so it still is a saving s.

If you can get an antenna to bring in your local channels sling is better. YouTube TVvis fine but keeps going up an up. The price of it plus internet access is almost as much as what you could pay for the lower levels of cable. But certain channels require a higher cable level so it still is a saving s.
Internet access doesn't factor into the decision much. That is a cost I'm going to incur regardless of how I watch TV. The $20 extra for double the speed is just so my wife doesn't complain when she is trying to work and I'm watching TV. :)

Wise decision?

Thoughts?

There is virtually no difference in quality/channel selection between cable and YouTube TV. And YTTV is cheaper. Not considerably so anymore but its cheaper and better. No ATTSN, MLB Network, or NHL Network but if you dont need the Pens or Pirates or rando MLB or NHL games, its a no-brainer. Also, the unlimited DVR is huge. I have set to record every game in college basketball, college football, EPL, NBA, MLS, a few others. Do I watch them all? No chance but if I am ever bored, I have thousands of games to pull up. The one thing about it though is that its not a "true DVR." For example, the Pitt/Wofford game will be "deleted" in about a year whether you want it deleted or not. But who cares? That matters a little for TV series you record I guess.

The great thing also is that you can just pause your account if you're not using. I also only watch for live sports.

I paused my account back in May when the NBA season was concluding and just turned it back on last week for football season. So, I saved 3 months of payments by pausing.
Curious how you paused it for 3 months. When you go to do that, the only option was to do it for 2 months. I was curious if as you were getting to the end of that 2 months, it would let you just go to your account and extend the pause further.

There is virtually no difference in quality/channel selection between cable and YouTube TV. And YTTV is cheaper. Not considerably so anymore but its cheaper and better. No ATTSN, MLB Network, or NHL Network but if you dont need the Pens or Pirates or rando MLB or NHL games, its a no-brainer. Also, the unlimited DVR is huge. I have set to record every game in college basketball, college football, EPL, NBA, MLS, a few others. Do I watch them all? No chance but if I am ever bored, I have thousands of games to pull up. The one thing about it though is that its not a "true DVR." For example, the Pitt/Wofford game will be "deleted" in about a year whether you want it deleted or not. But who cares? That matters a little for TV series you record I guess.
I live out of the Pittsburgh market. So no regional network won't bother me. I'll still be able to watch the Bucs and Pens via MLB.TV and ESPN+ like I do now. The MLB & NHL Network thing bothers me a little. But not too much. I honestly only watch those networks about twice a year anyway. But not having them does sting a tiny little bit.

I'm hoping the new Pens network ends up being carried on YTTV for my son's sake. He is in college in the Pittsburgh market. So he may not be able to watch the games legally.

I live out of the Pittsburgh market. So no regional network won't bother me. I'll still be able to watch the Bucs and Pens via MLB.TV and ESPN+ like I do now. The MLB & NHL Network thing bothers me a little. But not too much. I honestly only watch those networks about twice a year anyway. But not having them does sting a tiny little bit.

I'm hoping the new Pens network ends up being carried on YTTV for my son's sake. He is in college in the Pittsburgh market. So he may not be able to watch the games legally.

How many games do the Pens play on Turner, ESPN, and ESPN+ national (not the regional sports network broadcasts that are simulcast on ESPN+ as he wouldn't be able to watch those). Gotta play 15 or so of those which is enough for him isnt it?

Curious how you paused it for 3 months. When you go to do that, the only option was to do it for 2 months. I was curious if as you were getting to the end of that 2 months, it would let you just go to your account and extend the pause further.
There was a slider in which you could adjust to extend it out as long as you like. I've been pausing during the summer for the past years.

That is exactly why I cut the cord and went with YouTubeTV. I could have paid for the DVRs and cable boxes over and over again with the amount of money they charged over the years. I talked to them about it and told them if they couldn't do something, I was leaving. They didn't care and I left and never looked back.

Now I get emails and cards in the mail offering me Visa cards for $500 to come back. I just laugh and think if you would just not charge for all the equipment, maybe people wouldn't be in such a hurry to leave.

A lot of the $$ is the equipment. 2 DVRs and 4 other cable boxes, all wireless. That is a big chunk of the expense. Plus, I'm paying for the sports tier so that I can get all the sports networks and outside of the ACCN, I find them pretty useless because they blackout out of market NHL, MLB and NBA games on them. I have so many friggin stations and I pretty much only watch live sports and the 3 major cable news networks. I stream everything else on Max, Netflix, et al. I'm done with it.

I didn't like the Orange and Blue differentials with Sling. Espn on Orange and Fox on Blue. Have to get both packages and also get the sports package. Plus having to switch over to antenna for local channels. Too much of a hassle.

Plus, Sling's viewing quality wasn't as good as YouTube TV.

How many games do the Pens play on Turner, ESPN, and ESPN+ national (not the regional sports network broadcasts that are simulcast on ESPN+ as he wouldn't be able to watch those). Gotta play 15 or so of those which is enough for him isnt it?
Unfortunately no. He is a much bigger Pens fan than I am. He will just have to use other means. Or he can get a job to pay for another service for himself. :)

Not where I live.
Yeah, it wasn’t as simple as a universal yes/no answer.

Depends on your location as to whether there is a local CW station in that area. If there’s a local CW station I think YTTV will have it. Conversely, with the comparable Hulu Live service, there may be a local CW station in you area but Hulu Live may or may not pick it up.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Unfortunately no. He is a much bigger Pens fan than I am. He will just have to use other means. Or he can get a job to pay for another service for himself. :)

The Penguins are almost certainly going to have a streaming option this year. They now own the television network just like Fenway Sports does in Boston, and they stream the Bruins and the Red Sox games.

It will probably be around $20 per month for a streaming only package.

Anyone try FuboTV?

I've had it for about a year. If you wanted the soon to be former AT&T Sportsnet it was I think your only streaming choice.

Fubo does not have the Turner networks, so for the NCAA basketball tournament last year I signed up for a month of Sling, but then I just dropped it at the end of the month. Other than that they have pretty much all the channels if you are looking for sports.

Except the CW channel in Pittsburgh. They do not have that.

I have to start doing this when hoops season ends.

Reactions: cease10

Wise decision?

Thoughts?
No need to go 1 GBPS. I stream on all 6 TVs in my house, often with 3-4 at a time, along with iPads, phones, etc. also active at the same time. I have 500 MBPS FIOS internet and it works fine. Never have any issues.

Reactions: OH Pete
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT