ADVERTISEMENT

Zeise, archie isn't coming either

I am hoping we hire a coach with not previous Pitt connection. I would like to see a clean, fresh and new start.

My top choice would be Bryce Drew.

I am hoping we hire a coach with not previous Pitt connection. I would like to see a clean, fresh and new start.
Yeah but then they'll leave in 4-5 years because they have no loyalty to Pittsburgh or Pitt.

I'm surprised Archie is not interested. He would at the very least triple his salary and get to go home and coach one of the better programs in the best conference in America. Plus next year's team has the talent to make a deep run with the right coach. I didn't realize that bridge was so badly burned.

I'm surprised Archie is not interested. He would at the very least triple his salary and get to go home and coach one of the better programs in the best conference in America. Plus next year's team has the talent to make a deep run with the right coach. I didn't realize that bridge was so badly burned.

He's waiting on the NCST job

AM currently makes north of 2M, so if Pitt is willing to part with 6M+ then yes AM could triple his salary. AM may leave the Flyers for NC state or a top job but other than that he has a good gig at Dayton and will stay put for now. We are more than happy to have him, and the Panthers can continue the search and hopefully get a guy that can do the job.

AM currently makes north of 2M, so if Pitt is willing to part with 6M+ then yes AM could triple his salary. AM may leave the Flyers for NC state or a top job but other than that he has a good gig at Dayton and will stay put for now. We are more than happy to have him, and the Panthers can continue the search and hopefully get a guy that can do the job.

Appreciate you stopping by. Could you provide a link to your $2M figure? Here's one that said he made $652,049 in 2015: http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/

He's waiting on the NCST job
Couple years in the can and he could be waiting on the Clarion job...

Don't know at all what is up with him vis a vie Pitt , but if Pitt is offering something like 3x he should think twice about waiting ....

I thought the goal here was to upgrade the program, or at least keep it on an even keel. AM would do neither. Let him stay where he is.

Yeah but then they'll leave in 4-5 years because they have no loyalty to Pittsburgh or Pitt.

If we hire someone who leaves in 4-5 years because they were successful here why would we care? If we hire someone with no ties to Pitt and five years from now Coach K retires and our guy moves on to Duke won't that mean that we've probably had some really successful years? And that we'd be in a good place to make a good hire at that time? On the other hand, if 4-5 years from now the guy we hire is flailing and leaves to go somewhere else wouldn't that be a good thing? That way we don't have to fire him.

If the worst thing we have to worry about in our coaching hire is that he will be successful and in demand and will want to move on in five years then it will have been a very good hire.

Reactions: OriginalEther
You do you realize he's doing so well with mostly Shaka Smart's players,right?
You do realize he turned around a Chattanooga program that was 24-40 before he got there, and went 40-25. You do realize he recruited well at Harvard, Chattanooga, and VCU. You do realize he has a staff in place that has ties to NYC, DC, and other areas in our foot print. Shall I go on?

You can't worry about someone leaving after 5 yrs because that means that they've been very successful. You might also find that someone is smart enough to be satisfied making millions and winning.

Dude, next year's team will be very lucky to make the field of 68 whether it be with Dixon, the ghost of Doc Carlson, John Wooden, Coach K or anyone else. I'd be very interested in your factual basis for that belief.

No link as not reported publicly, but Archie actually makes about $2.5M a year (not $2M referenced above) so top 20 college basketball coach compensation package. Not reported as Dayton private school and most of the compensation is via a private foundation so figure will never be public.

FL, Ok St., Alabama, etc. all have made runs at Archie and he has declined them all. He waits for a top 10/15 program like Sean did waiting for Arizona.

BTW, Archie is 5-3 in the NCAA with a 5-3 record versus kenpom top 50 teams in the NCAA. To put that in perspective, the entire New Big East from 2014-2016 is 3-11 versus kenpom top 50 teams in NCAA tourneys. Will Wade is 1-1 in the NCAA. Archie is the best coach in the A-10.

The Pitt job, at least next year is not a rebuild. You are losing only one full time player from this year's squad that made the NCAA tournament despite some pretty poor in game coaching all year long. And though he has heart I think most people realize the one graduating full time senior player was a slow footed and most of the time overmatched (at least in the acc for sure) point guard.

So next year Pitt will will have all seasoned junior/seniors in the starting lineup, unless Wilson or Kithcart wins the PG spot. But even then you still have an upgrade at the point on a team that made the tournament the year before.

Plus these guys might not be big east tough, but they are prototypical acc stretch players who in the right system could run a lot of teams out of the gym. It's not like Pitt this year was full of graduating seniors that were over coached way past their potential. I think a lot of us felt these guys can play and score if they were let loose a little and weren't afraid they would lose playing time if they took one bad shot or made a mistake on defense

Last edited:
Reactions: Pittbaseball11
Dude, next year's team will be very lucky to make the field of 68 whether it be with Dixon, the ghost of Doc Carlson, John Wooden, Coach K or anyone else. I'd be very interested in your factual basis for that belief.
But they made it this year with 4 guys leaving who were trashed here daily.

So triple his salary ,Pitt is going to pay Archie over 6 mill a year. Wow more then Coach K, Cal, and Self. RIGHT !!!

Reactions: Oke88
You do reli
Maybe it would help if you check your facts Archie is paid close to 3 million a year at Dayton. been to the NCAA three years in a row has four starters coming back from a team that won 25 games
Check your facts,Archie makes close to 3 million dollars a year at Dayton .Has a buyout of 9 million.Has 4 starters coming back from a 25 win class,good recruits coming in,and 12 to 13 thousand at every home game.Been to the NCAA three years in a row.and looking at 100 million upgrades to one of the best arenas in the united states.

ADVERTISEMENT