ADVERTISEMENT

Zeise Speaks Again About Realignment...

pittmeister

Heisman Winner
May 26, 2010

Paul Zeise: Stop the Pitt, WVU conference realignment doomsday predictions​

The world of college athletics was rocked with news that UCLA and USC were leaving the Pac-12 to go to the Big Ten. There was shock and horror and anger and ...

OK, that’s being a bit dramatic, but that has been the tone of the coverage and discussion about the latest round of conference realignment, and I am not really sure why. It isn’t like we haven’t seen this before. It isn’t like we won’t see this again. And again. And again in our lifetimes.

The only thing that is constant about college athletics is change. The only thing that remains the same is the endless quest by college administrators to use their athletic programs to try to line their pockets with as much money as possible.

They are all in a constant search for the next golden goose laying golden eggs and have very little regard for any long-term implications of their decisions. Then again, why should they? As we have learned over the course of the past three decades, if they don’t like their lot in the world of college athletics, they can move.

The doom and gloom stuff, though, take that somewhere else because it is silly. There are Pitt and West Virginia fans legitimately worried their programs are going to be left out in the cold somewhere when all the dust settles, but I can’t quite figure out why.

OK, let’s say the Big Ten and SEC go out and create these megaconferences that dominate the landscape. They still need teams to play, and the other conferences still need to fill themselves with teams.

There are going to be enough good teams left over in all this to form — or rebuild — one or two other conferences. The ACC or Big 12 or Pac-12 may not look like they do today, but they will have enough good teams to still play major college football.

Think about the last round of conference alignment, which really began in about 2002 when the ACC poached the Big East for Miami, Boston College and Virginia Tech. The Big East survived for a few years while the dominoes began to fall and the SEC and Big Ten expanded. In the end, though, every team in the Big East survived and the major programs like Pitt, Louisville, West Virginia and Syracuse all found good homes in major conferences.

Cincinnati actually thrived in the American, so much so that they got to the playoff last year and got invited to join the Big 12, The same can be said about a handful of other programs that ended up in a Group of Five conference. The world of athletics changed; the power shifted even more to the Big Ten and SEC, yet everyone else survived and found good homes.

About the only team that lost in the last realignment was Connecticut, whose program is on FBS life support. That isn’t a surprise, though, because that program is relatively young as an FBS team and didn’t have a great financial structure. And that’s the one team everyone holds out there as an example of what getting left behind looks like.

But that’s one program and not a very good one at that, one that doesn’t really matter much to a major conference in football. The other thing is UConn made it clear what their commitment to football is when they decided to go independent so they could rejoin the Big East and emphasize their basketball programs.

Pitt, West Virginia and Louisville are not UConn though, and neither is Washington State, Kansas State, Colorado, Arizona, North Carolina and a handful of other teams that may not get the invite to the SEC or Big Ten. They are all programs with large fan bases, tradition, history, name branding and everything else that make them attractive to a major conference.

OK, so they don’t get to the Big Ten. What if the ACC sheds Clemson and, say, Florida State but aligns itself with the remaining 10 teams of the Pac-12 to create a major conference themselves? You mean to tell me that conference wouldn’t put teams in the playoff? That conference wouldn’t be able to negotiate a big enough TV deal that the members can still hire great coaches, have great facilities and recruit great players?

And we haven’t even gotten to basketball, which, yes, football drives the bus, but do you really believe the teams in the Big Ten and SEC want to destroy the NCAA Tournament? And if they scoop up 6 to 8 more teams and break away from the NCAA or try to shut everyone else out of the football playoff, that’s exactly what they will do.

I do believe the ACC was short-sighted, arrogant and downright dumb to veto the 12-team playoff, as that is what has all of this stuff in motion. It is going to happen, and the ACC would likely be in a better position to survive all of this had they embraced the reality of where college football is headed.

All of that aside, I am here to tell you to settle down. Stop with all the over-the-top doomsday scenarios. Stop letting your worst fears ruin your ability to think critically. I can’t answer the question of what it will all look like when the dust settles. I can’t tell you where Pitt and West Virginia will ultimately land, if either even ever has to move.

What I can tell you is both are positioned to land somewhere in a good spot, and they will be able to continue to have major college football programs and play games on the biggest stage. It will all work out, and the reason I say this is because history repeats itself and we have plenty of history to dissect when it comes to conference realignment.

It will work out — well, at least for a few years until the unadulterated greed that currently grips these college presidents forces the next round of realignment ...

Paul Zeise: pzeise@post-gazette.com or Twitter: @paulzeise

It is easy to 2nd guess what you did years ago and say Pitt should have done this or that. The hard part is to project where this is going and make decisions prior to it happening. There are way too many moving parts to make any concrete decisions.

The 2 things that pertain to Pitt that are starting to look clearer is that the ACC GORs is solid and may take the next go around to leave. The addition of teams that may look to the ACC is in ESPN's hands to come up with a contract number and then the attorneys have to figure out how to add teams without blowing up the GORs.

The 2nd piece that looks clearer is the ND does not want to give up their independence. This also means that all sports except FB are in the ACC.

It is easy to 2nd guess what you did years ago and say Pitt should have done this or that. The hard part is to project where this is going and make decisions prior to it happening. There are way too many moving parts to make any concrete decisions.

The 2 things that pertain to Pitt that are starting to look clearer is that the ACC GORs is solid and may take the next go around to leave. The addition of teams that may look to the ACC is in ESPN's hands to come up with a contract number and then the attorneys have to figure out how to add teams without blowing up the GORs.

The 2nd piece that looks clearer is the ND does not want to give up their independence. This also means that all sports except FB are in the ACC.

I don’t think it’s hindsight to say blocking the playoff expansion was dumb. It was dumb in real time.

I’m also not sure the GOR is so solid it’s going to stop anybody from leaving when the time comes. I think the GOR probably stops any one team from leaving, as no school probably wants to be the test case. But even that will only stop the flood for so long.

If anything it’s probably ND’s lack of decision that is stopping things at the moment, not the GOR.

I don’t think it’s hindsight to say blocking the playoff expansion was dumb. It was dumb in real time.

I’m also not sure the GOR is so solid it’s going to stop anybody from leaving when the time comes. I think the GOR probably stops any one team from leaving, as no school probably wants to be the test case. But even that will only stop the flood for so long.

If anything it’s probably ND’s lack of decision that is stopping things at the moment, not the GOR.

I think the GOR is fairly iron-clad. Does any school or conference feel it is worth the effort to challenge it in court? A big and costly fight.

Reactions: Atlanta Panther
I think the GOR is fairly iron-clad. Does any school or conference feel it is worth the effort to challenge it in court? A big and costly fight.

Whether it is or isn’t, and we’ve read pieces from various lawyers and sources saying it is and isn’t, it isn’t going to stop any team from leaving if things start firing off.

If ND made a decision tomorrow, ACC teams would be announcing new conferences by Wednesday.

Whether it is or isn’t, and we’ve read pieces from various lawyers and sources saying it is and isn’t, it isn’t going to stop any team from leaving if things start firing off.

If ND made a decision tomorrow, ACC teams would be announcing new conferences by Wednesday.

************tIDINGS oF dOOM!*************

I'll fully admit I didn't want them to vote for an expanded playoff at the time. I didn't want to give the SEC their cake (OU and UT) and let them eat it, too (3-4 teams in the playoff most years). But yeah - seems like that wasn't so hot of a decision now. Best just to appease the hands that feed.

College football is such a lie-down-and-take-it sport. You can't bash a recruit who screws you over, because you don't want to burn bridges with a school or region. You can't bash an NIL-seeking transfer/high school recruit, because then other players considering your school will take note and think you don't want them to get their money. Can't bash the big boys, because they'll take their ball and go start their own league. Can't bash the fans for lack of support, even though I'm sure they'd like to quite a bit. It's definitely not for everybody.

I'll fully admit I didn't want them to vote for an expanded playoff at the time. I didn't want to give the SEC their cake (OU and UT) and let them eat it, too (3-4 teams in the playoff most years). But yeah - seems like that wasn't so hot of a decision now. Best just to appease the hands that feed.

Yep. Everybody was so happy to piss off the giant, and now is wondering why he’s just decided to go ahead and stomp out the entire village.

Okay ..... what is going to happen? Be specific and make sure you cover the SEC, G1G, ACC and Pitt! Go....
He has no idea. He rings the toll bell of death at anything and anyone who expresses anything positive. He snuffs it out and hides behind the façade of his reality. He has no idea how this will play out, but in the meantime he enjoys sending out….

****sONATES oF A sOURPUSS!****

LOL!

Last edited:
Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
He has no idea. He rings the toll bell of death at anything and anyone who expresses anything positive. He snuffs it and hides behind the facade of his reality. He has no idea how this will play out, but in the meantime he enjoys sending out….

****sONATES oF A sOURPUSS!****

LOL!
Or maybe he is critically thinking about this entire situation and trying to think 2-3 steps ahead and isn’t just posting “hopes” and other typical message board affirmations that only align with one’s school (whether Pitt, WVU, etc).

How dull that is…

I really think the end game is going to be a Big Football conference. And then more regional conferences for all the other sports. I mean hockey works this way. Obviously out of necessity. Notre Dame sports works this way. It just makes little sense from an academic and cost standpoint (not to mention carbon footprint) that just because networks want these matchups and teams, that women's volleyball and men's wrestling has to be included in these shenanigans.

I know there is this romantic notion of conference alliances and rivals, but let's be honest, that is completely being blown up at every possible level with all of this. So let's just scrap this whole "conference" notion that must include all sports. Just have the football programs do what they are being paid to do, and find the other sports, including basketball, back to more traditional and regional conferences.

I really think the end game is going to be a Big Football conference. And then more regional conferences for all the other sports. I mean hockey works this way. Obviously out of necessity. Notre Dame sports works this way. It just makes little sense from an academic and cost standpoint (not to mention carbon footprint) that just because networks want these matchups and teams, that women's volleyball and men's wrestling has to be included in these shenanigans.

I know there is this romantic notion of conference alliances and rivals, but let's be honest, that is completely being blown up at every possible level with all of this. So let's just scrap this whole "conference" notion that must include all sports. Just have the football programs do what they are being paid to do, and find the other sports, including basketball, back to more traditional and regional conferences.

True, heck even men's basketball, a "major" sport will struggle. I can't imagine PSU playing a 9pm game on a Wednesday night at Pauley Pavilion is going to be a sustainable thing.

images

Reactions: ratking17
Or maybe he is critically thinking about this entire situation and trying to think 2-3 steps ahead and isn’t just posting “hopes” and other typical message board affirmations that only align with one’s school (whether Pitt, WVU, etc).

How dull that is…

It’s not even that serious to be honest.

There is just no world in which you can storyboard just FSU and Clemson leaving if ACC teams are going to leave. So any projection of the future based on that is pure junk.

I’m not sure why it’s so hard for some posters to concede that point?

Yup. That's why some of these weaker programs like Rutgers and Maryland should not be so excited right now. If these moves work (they will, at least in the short term) isn't the logical endgame a nationwide league with Alabama, Ohio State, Georgia, LSU, USC, Texas,etc. playing big matchups every single week?

Yep. Everybody was so happy to piss off the giant, and now is wondering why he’s just decided to go ahead and stomp out the entire village.
LOL, what has ND stomped out? What on earth have they changed?

The idea that ND should have been placated to secure their access to the playoffs as an independent at the expense of the ACC's overall interests, in the hopes that, down the road, ND would, for the first time in its history, do something not it its own interest which...and I'm guessing at the convoluted logic here... that they might do something (although their independent status would have been secured) to keep schools from moving to annual paydays that are more than 2 and a half times what they are currently getting now, is just absolutely nonsensical.

Where the ACC may have screwed up was not the playoff vote that was joined by both the Pac and B10, but was letting the Irish in the ACC for only one year in 2020. They should have required them join ACC football through 2036 like everyone else or let them forgo their season. It was the only time the ACC had any leverage over the Irish at all, not that it necessarily would have worked. Probably the Irish would have just said no anyway because their primary motivation is, and always has been, retaining their independence since their perception is that their independent status and national scheduling is what makes them special.

Even one guaranteed access slot to the playoffs for the ACC wouldn't have change the disparity in money or power between the Big10-SEC and everyone else at this point, nor would it have had the ability to keep Clemson or FSU or Miami or UNC from doing everything they can to bolt...and they will immediately bolt given an actual realistic chance (and so would Pitt). It would have been temporary band-aid for the left-behinds for the length of the CFP contract, like the Big East hanging on to a BCS auto bid following the 2003 raid; and that BCS auto bid for the BE was clearly going away with the next contract.

Last edited:

The idea that ND should have been placated to secure their access to the playoffs as an independent at the expense of the ACC's overall interests, in the hopes that, down the road, ND would, for the first time in its history, do something not it its own interest which...and I'm guessing at the convoluted logic here... that they might do something (although their independent status would be secure) to keep schools from moving to annual paydays that are more than 2 and a half times what they are currently getting now, is just absolutely nonsensical.

Where the ACC may have screwed up was not the playoff vote that was joined by both the Pac and B10, but was letting the Irish in the ACC for only one year in 2020. They should have required them join the ACC through 2036 like everyone else or let them forgo their season. It was the only time the ACC had any leverage over the Irish at all, not that it necessarily would have worked. Probably the Irish would have just said no anyway because their primary motivation is, and always has been, retaining their independence since their perception is that their independent status and national scheduling is what makes them special.

Even one guaranteed access slot to the playoffs for the ACC wouldn't have change the disparity in money or power between the Big10-SEC and everyone else at this point, nor would it have had the ability to keep Clemson or FSU or Miami or UNC from doing everything they can to bolt...and they will immediately bolt given an actual realistic chance (and so would Pitt). It would have been temporary band-aid for the left-behinds for the length of the CFP contract, like the Big East hanging on to a BCS bid following the 2003 raid; and that auto-BCS bid for the BE was clearly going away with the next contract.
I am of the camp that the former big east and the current acc should tell ND to pound sand.

The idea that ND should have been placated to secure their access to the playoffs as an independent at the expense of the ACC's overall interests, in the hopes that, down the road, ND would, for the first time in its history, do something not it its own interest which...and I'm guessing at the convoluted logic here... that they might do something (although their independent status would have been secured) to keep schools from moving to annual paydays that are more than 2 and a half times what they are currently getting now, is just absolutely nonsensical.

Where the ACC may have screwed up was not the playoff vote that was joined by both the Pac and B10, but was letting the Irish in the ACC for only one year in 2020. They should have required them join ACC football through 2036 like everyone else or let them forgo their season. It was the only time the ACC had any leverage over the Irish at all, not that it necessarily would have worked. Probably the Irish would have just said no anyway because their primary motivation is, and always has been, retaining their independence since their perception is that their independent status and national scheduling is what makes them special.

Even one guaranteed access slot to the playoffs for the ACC wouldn't have change the disparity in money or power between the Big10-SEC and everyone else at this point, nor would it have had the ability to keep Clemson or FSU or Miami or UNC from doing everything they can to bolt...and they will immediately bolt given an actual realistic chance (and so would Pitt). It would have been temporary band-aid for the left-behinds for the length of the CFP contract, like the Big East hanging on to a BCS auto bid following the 2003 raid; and that BCS auto bid for the BE was clearly going away with the next contract.

My post isn’t about ND…

He's hopeful that the ACC can have their best teams stolen so when his Big Pretend continues to not win chips, he can puff his chest about how at least the ACC didn't win either.

The article that’s the very purpose for this thread is saying the ACC will have its two best teams stolen.

There is a serious lack of actually reading the linked articles on this board the last few days.

Read the actual article, and read the post I commented on. It’s not difficult.
I read the article. It believe it is naive at best. Last night it was all about daring not to have pissed off ND. Well now, what, the ACC should've tiptoed around the SEC? As if the SEC was going to play nice with the ACC at the expense of its own interests? You know, like the Pac played nice with the Big Ten? That sure worked out well for them. OU and Texas were in the works long before the vote. I don't understand the logic in your position at all, sorry.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
I read the article. It believe it is naive at best. Last night it was all about daring not to have pissed off ND. Well now, what, the ACC should've tiptoed around the SEC? As if the SEC was going to play nice with the ACC at the expense of its own interests? You know, like the Pac played nice with the Big Ten? That sure worked out well for them. OU and Texas were in the works long before the vote. I don't understand the logic in your position at all, sorry.

I’ve said the article is naive to believe, if an ACC raid happens, only two teams are being raided. You have to be an idiot to believe that.

And you understand the logic. You just don’t agree with it. That’s a separate point.

And you could be right. There’s nothing anybody could have done to appease the giants for any period of time. The raid is inevitable, and any moves made would have done absolutely nothing.

But in a world where the ACC *maybe* could have done something, blocking playoff expansion got the ACC and PAC 12 *nothing.*. It just guaranteed the two power conference would become even more aggressive.

Last edited:
I’ve said the article is naive to believe, if an ACC raid happens, only two teams are being raided. You have to be an idiot to believe that.

And you understand the logic. You just don’t agree with it. That’s a separate point.

And you could be right. There’s nothing anybody could have done to appease the giants for any period of time. The raid is inevitable, and any moves made would have done absolutely nothing.

But in a world where the ACC *maybe* could have done nothing, blocking playoff expansion got the ACC and PAC 12 *nothing.*. It just guaranteed the two power conference would become even more aggressive.

I agree that if teams leave the ACC, it is likely to be more than two, but it is also hard to predict where everything ends up at this point.

I don't agree at all that blocking playoff expansion made the SEC or Big10 more aggressive. Their expansions were in the works well before the voting on the playoff, and desire for teams to move is very high. Schools are approaching the conferences because monetary differences. It isn't even as if the conferences have to be that agressive.

I agree that if teams leave the ACC, it is likely to be more than two, but it is also hard to predict where everything ends up at this point.

I don't agree at all that blocking playoff expansion made the SEC or Big10 more aggressive. Their expansions were in the works well before the voting on the playoff, and desire for teams to move is very high. Schools are approaching the conferences because monetary differences. It isn't even as if the conferences have to be that agressive.
I have to agree. Playoff posturing didn’t really impact anything. Either way the big dogs ultimately plan to grow to their strongest composition, jettison their weaklings like Rutgers and Vanderbilt, and then to split away. That is where they can make any kind of playoff arrangement they desire.

“I agree that if teams leave the ACC, it is likely to be more than two, but it is also hard to predict where everything ends up at this point.

BINGO!

But the trolls (and they know who they are) don't believe any possible outcome unless it ends with the complete devastation, annihilation and destruction of Pitt athletics. Then it's Gospel....

Paul Zeise's opinion? He's full of $hit as far as they're concerned....Mike Farrell? He's an idiot too....

And just because they have nothing positive to say concerning Pitt athletics (whether it's recruiting, coaching or realignment), don't dare call them trolls!

Let me look into my crystal ball and I'll tell them what's going to happen.....

*******Eenie, meanie, chili beanie.....*******

Pitt, as Zeise was saying will end up in a good spot. And when they do, I will be on the message board and GLOATING as I always do.... How, when and where they end up, I don't know....

But, I proudly gloated after Pitt was invited to the ACC...

And I proudly gloated after Pitt won the ACC...

And I will gloat AGAIN!....

Let's see who ends up being right....

Reactions: pierre93

Paul Zeise: Stop the Pitt, WVU conference realignment doomsday predictions​

The world of college athletics was rocked with news that UCLA and USC were leaving the Pac-12 to go to the Big Ten. There was shock and horror and anger and ...

OK, that’s being a bit dramatic, but that has been the tone of the coverage and discussion about the latest round of conference realignment, and I am not really sure why. It isn’t like we haven’t seen this before. It isn’t like we won’t see this again. And again. And again in our lifetimes.

The only thing that is constant about college athletics is change. The only thing that remains the same is the endless quest by college administrators to use their athletic programs to try to line their pockets with as much money as possible.

They are all in a constant search for the next golden goose laying golden eggs and have very little regard for any long-term implications of their decisions. Then again, why should they? As we have learned over the course of the past three decades, if they don’t like their lot in the world of college athletics, they can move.

The doom and gloom stuff, though, take that somewhere else because it is silly. There are Pitt and West Virginia fans legitimately worried their programs are going to be left out in the cold somewhere when all the dust settles, but I can’t quite figure out why.

OK, let’s say the Big Ten and SEC go out and create these megaconferences that dominate the landscape. They still need teams to play, and the other conferences still need to fill themselves with teams.

There are going to be enough good teams left over in all this to form — or rebuild — one or two other conferences. The ACC or Big 12 or Pac-12 may not look like they do today, but they will have enough good teams to still play major college football.

Think about the last round of conference alignment, which really began in about 2002 when the ACC poached the Big East for Miami, Boston College and Virginia Tech. The Big East survived for a few years while the dominoes began to fall and the SEC and Big Ten expanded. In the end, though, every team in the Big East survived and the major programs like Pitt, Louisville, West Virginia and Syracuse all found good homes in major conferences.

Cincinnati actually thrived in the American, so much so that they got to the playoff last year and got invited to join the Big 12, The same can be said about a handful of other programs that ended up in a Group of Five conference. The world of athletics changed; the power shifted even more to the Big Ten and SEC, yet everyone else survived and found good homes.

About the only team that lost in the last realignment was Connecticut, whose program is on FBS life support. That isn’t a surprise, though, because that program is relatively young as an FBS team and didn’t have a great financial structure. And that’s the one team everyone holds out there as an example of what getting left behind looks like.

But that’s one program and not a very good one at that, one that doesn’t really matter much to a major conference in football. The other thing is UConn made it clear what their commitment to football is when they decided to go independent so they could rejoin the Big East and emphasize their basketball programs.

Pitt, West Virginia and Louisville are not UConn though, and neither is Washington State, Kansas State, Colorado, Arizona, North Carolina and a handful of other teams that may not get the invite to the SEC or Big Ten. They are all programs with large fan bases, tradition, history, name branding and everything else that make them attractive to a major conference.

OK, so they don’t get to the Big Ten. What if the ACC sheds Clemson and, say, Florida State but aligns itself with the remaining 10 teams of the Pac-12 to create a major conference themselves? You mean to tell me that conference wouldn’t put teams in the playoff? That conference wouldn’t be able to negotiate a big enough TV deal that the members can still hire great coaches, have great facilities and recruit great players?

And we haven’t even gotten to basketball, which, yes, football drives the bus, but do you really believe the teams in the Big Ten and SEC want to destroy the NCAA Tournament? And if they scoop up 6 to 8 more teams and break away from the NCAA or try to shut everyone else out of the football playoff, that’s exactly what they will do.

I do believe the ACC was short-sighted, arrogant and downright dumb to veto the 12-team playoff, as that is what has all of this stuff in motion. It is going to happen, and the ACC would likely be in a better position to survive all of this had they embraced the reality of where college football is headed.

All of that aside, I am here to tell you to settle down. Stop with all the over-the-top doomsday scenarios. Stop letting your worst fears ruin your ability to think critically. I can’t answer the question of what it will all look like when the dust settles. I can’t tell you where Pitt and West Virginia will ultimately land, if either even ever has to move.

What I can tell you is both are positioned to land somewhere in a good spot, and they will be able to continue to have major college football programs and play games on the biggest stage. It will all work out, and the reason I say this is because history repeats itself and we have plenty of history to dissect when it comes to conference realignment.

It will work out — well, at least for a few years until the unadulterated greed that currently grips these college presidents forces the next round of realignment ...

Paul Zeise: pzeise@post-gazette.com or Twitter: @paulzeise
F wvcc and hope they go to the Pac 10 so those goons can travel even further!!!

Reactions: pittmeister
“I agree that if teams leave the ACC, it is likely to be more than two, but it is also hard to predict where everything ends up at this point.

BINGO!

But the trolls (and they know who they are) don't believe any possible outcome unless it ends with the complete devastation, annihilation and destruction of Pitt athletics. Then it's Gospel....

Paul Zeise's opinion? He's full of $hit as far as they're concerned....Mike Farrell? He's an idiot too....

And just because they have nothing positive to say concerning Pitt athletics (whether it's recruiting, coaching or realignment), don't dare call them trolls!

Let me look into my crystal ball and I'll tell them what's going to happen.....

*******Eenie, meanie, chili beanie.....*******

Pitt, as Zeise was saying will end up in a good spot. And when they do, I will be on the message board and GLOATING as I always do.... How, when and where they end up, I don't know....

But, I proudly gloated after Pitt was invited to the ACC...

And I proudly gloated after Pitt won the ACC...

And I will gloat AGAIN!....

Let's see who ends up being right....

Yes, any prediction on the ACC being raided and only losing two teams is retarded.

That isn’t difficult to admit.

I guess it’s fine to argue the ACC won’t be raided at all. It’s difficult to see that happening. But that’s far more likely than the the scenario the article lays out.

ADVERTISEMENT