ADVERTISEMENT

Zoom Call

"So, Coach, what kind of offense do you like to run, and how do you see me fitting into it?"

"Well, uh, I think what's important is that we have a really nice pool table in the players' lounge.

The kid entered the portal all of a week ago, and he’s currently enrolled in college at a military school a thousand miles away. I don’t think he’s visited anywhere yet in person.

And you only have a certain number of official visits to give out. Not like they can bring all 40 guys they’ve contacted so far on officials

Reactions: gary2
There was no dead period today, yesterday, last weekend, etc..... you get the drill.
Maybe the kid has class? Maybe because he attends a military school he can’t just leave for a visit? I’m certainly not interested in making excuses for this staff, but let’s just be glad they are engaged at all with a good looking option.

Zoom calls are great, but you gotta hit the road when you can. Now they're in a dead period and can't. Everything has been a Zoom call other than a ride over to Cal U.

The Citadel in in Charleston. If I had an interested customer I'd be there tomorrow.

Just my observation and opinion on a staff that has zero recruits and gutted roster. A little urgency might be prudent.

Zoom calls are great, but you gotta hit the road when you can. Now they're in a dead period and can't. Everything has been a Zoom call other than a ride over to Cal U.

The Citadel in in Charleston. If I had an interested customer I'd be there tomorrow.

Just my observation and opinion on a staff that has zero recruits and gutted roster. A little urgency might be prudent.

That's not correct. They have hosted and visited many targets.

Is this really not a dead period? If not, 2 assistants should be on the road, literally every day. From Day 1 to the last day of the live period, they should be ANYWHERE but Pittsburgh. No reason for these guys to be in Pgh right now

Much of this isn’t accurate, since they’ve gone on the road to see multiple prospects, including Cummings. This kid goes to college in Charleston, but his family’s in Berkeley. Most of the road visits you’ve seen are from coaches visiting the kid and the family in their home. That’s obviously not an option here - the closest you can get to that right now is getting the kid and potentially the family on a Zoom call.

What are they going to do in Charleston right now? Pull up a chair in his dorm room? Go watch him work out at a YMCA? It doesn’t make any sense. These initial contacts are attempting to try to get the kid on campus, then you go in home with the kid and his family.

Much of this isn’t accurate, since they’ve gone on the road to see multiple prospects, including Cummings. This kid goes to college in Charleston, but his family’s in Berkeley. Most of the road visits you’ve seen are from coaches visiting the kid and the family in their home. That’s obviously not an option here - the closest you can get to that right now is getting the kid and potentially the family on a Zoom call.

What are they going to do in Charleston right now? Pull up a chair in his dorm room? Go watch him work out at a YMCA? It doesn’t make any sense. These initial contacts are attempting to try to get the kid on campus, then you go in home with the kid and his family.

Yes. Take him to dinner at the school cafeteria if you have to. Sit next to him in science class. ANYTHING but sit back in Pittsburgh doing Zoom calls. I cant believe we were doing Zoom calls during a live period. We should have identified 5-10 kids we had a shot at and basically had an assistant coach enroll at their college and move into their dorm. What good are they doing in Pittsburgh.

Reactions: gary2
If we want the kid bad enough we should have been there!
BballinsiderfromPitt implies this staff is lazy. Most of the time I think he's full of crap but if these guys wont even leave the city limits during a live period, geez. There's 0 reasons for 2 assistants to be spending a live period in Pgh. 0.

Yeah I wouldn’t understand it if they were sitting around talking about all the possible prospects they have instead of out there making it happen.

The individuals on a free basketball forum should not feel a sense of urgency more than the coaching staff.

Yeah I wouldn’t understand it if they were sitting around talking about all the possible prospects they have instead of out there making it happen.
They can discuss all the possible prospects on Zoom while living in some kid's dorm.

Maybe Heather tightened the budget to sabotage Capel? I dont know. You really cant explain away assistants living in Pgh during a live period

BballinsiderfromPitt implies this staff is lazy. Most of the time I think he's full of crap but if these guys wont even leave the city limits during a live period, geez. There's 0 reasons for 2 assistants to be spending a live period in Pgh. 0.
Incompetent or Lazy…. Take your pick

1 High school prospect signed in 2 years..

I would say it’s both..

Reactions: voiceyouropinion
Incompetent or Lazy…. Take your pick

1 High school prospect signed in 2 years..

I would say it’s both..

They haven't signed a HS player since the early days of the pandemic. April 28, 2020 when we signed Jeffress. Nate Santos was a post-grad.

Yes. Take him to dinner at the school cafeteria if you have to. Sit next to him in science class. ANYTHING but sit back in Pittsburgh doing Zoom calls. I cant believe we were doing Zoom calls during a live period. We should have identified 5-10 kids we had a shot at and basically had an assistant coach enroll at their college and move into their dorm. What good are they doing in Pittsburgh.

We are in agreement. The entire period from our last game has been open recruiting season. They've ventured to Cal U and Quaker Valley. They had a few visitors at Pitt.

Someone tell me what I'm missing since March 8th? Who has been on the road and where?

Every coach should have been on the road over the last 3 weeks, rather than setting up Zoom calls. Nothing says we really want you like a Zoom call.....

• Love
Reactions: FireballZ and gary2
And you only have a certain number of official visits to give out. Not like they can bring all 40 guys they’ve contacted so far on officials
If transferring is unlimited, then you'd think visits should be too.

We are in agreement. The entire period from our last game has been open recruiting season. They've ventured to Cal U and Quaker Valley. They had a few visitors at Pitt.

Someone tell me what I'm missing since March 8th? Who has been on the road and where?

Every coach should have been on the road over the last 3 weeks, rather than setting up Zoom calls. Nothing says we really want you like a Zoom call.....

Heather tightening the budget is the only thing that really makes sense unless they are just deliberately not trying.

Just a suggestion, either get an administrative assistant or learn about this thing called "Google".

Crazy stuff like this just appears once you learn to master the magic of Google.

Heather tightening the budget is the only thing that really makes sense unless they are just deliberately not trying.
Recruiting budgets are nothing in the overall scheme. I remember seeing FBs in the $700 - 800k range a few years ago. BB has to be half that.

Just a suggestion, either get an administrative assistant or learn about this thing called "Google".

Crazy stuff like this just appears once you learn to master the magic of Google.

So you had to go back 3 weeks to find O'Toole traveling to see the twins. Thanks for proving my point Joey.

Feel free to keep showing me up with your google machine. Have at it, season was over March 8th.

Reactions: FireballZ and gary2
So you had to go back 3 weeks to find O'Toole traveling to see the twins. Thanks for proving my point Joey.

Feel free to keep showing me up with your google machine. Have at it, season was over March 8th.

Part of the magic of "google" is it finds what you are searching for like it's magic. Maybe ask Gary for instructions.

Part of the magic of "google" is it finds what you are searching for like it's magic. Maybe ask Gary for instructions.
Over three weeks and you found one. I'm asking for your help Joey. Please find more. I'm sure there's plenty as these road warriors hit the trail after the season. Tireless workers.

Reactions: FireballZ
Over three weeks and you found one. I'm asking for your help Joey. Please find more. I'm sure there's plenty as these road warriors hit the trail after the season. Tireless workers.
You cant. They dont leave the city limits. I'm wondering if there is some rule that regarding transfer recruiting that we aren't aware of because if there isn't, I dont know why these guys aren't living on college campuses. I mean, I'd tell O'Toole he's moving to the I95 Corridor from March-June. Brown to VA to GA. Capel lets say to the MW. 1 college every day. You have to hustle. WTF are they doing just Zooming everyone. The pandemic is over.

Like I suggested, hire an administrative assistant if you can't figure out the Google.

Has this zoom call with Roche happened, if so, anyone have any insight how this went. I think we really need this shooter. Hope we can land this one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT