ADVERTISEMENT

“There will be people, universities, programs that have to fall along the wayside for the greater good of college athletics”

I would follow the law.

Since you admit that many players would play for free, why do you insist on paying them?

What does the law say about a performer who is willing to perform at a restaurant for free?

Also, I'd be thrilled if Pitt could recruit at high level without NIL. If we can find great recruits willing to play for free, we should absolutely do it. But we cant anymore.

I'm not disagreeing that those who generate money should be compensated. They should be. I'm not yet in the camp they should be employees yet.

My question to you why others - who don't necessarily directly generate revenues - should also not be compensated. Cheerleaders and bands add to the entertainment value of attendees at sporting events, for example. Its part of the package of the event. They are representing the university as well and have to spend time away from studies to practice. The same is true of other representatives of the university such as the debate teams.
Questions back to you.

1) Would tens of thousands pay to watch just the cheerleaders, band or debate team?
2) Would they be televised?
3) Would networks pay millions to televise?

Yes. It would be a fully professional sport.
At that point, it's not "college" football, they just use the name. logos and colors for a minor league pro team because of brand recognition. This team would have nothing to do with the school. If you can trade players there's not even any pretense that they are "student athletes". The only reason they want to affiliate with colleges is because the brands already have followers, it could be the same exact players but the Georgia Rottweilers would draw 5000 fans while the Georgia Bulldogs with red unis and that "G" on the helmets will draw 100000 fans. It's a farce. What is funny about this, is all the alumni and students, in the stands and the band and cheerleaders, cheering this team that truly has nothing to do with their university at all :)

Last edited:
You asked a question, I answered it. Yes, there are people who get paid to play sports, video games, and everything in between. You obviously didn't think about that when you posed your question. If college players got paid, they'd be "professional" too.
I thought about it. My opinion is that professional sports are jobs and not games.

What does the law say about a performer who is willing to perform at a restaurant for free?

Also, I'd be thrilled if Pitt could recruit at high level without NIL. If we can find great recruits willing to play for free, we should absolutely do it. But we cant anymore.
I don't know what the law is. I don't have performers.

Who was limiting this discussion to "great" recruits? Plenty of recruits would happily play for free.

Questions back to you.

1) Would tens of thousands pay to watch just the cheerleaders, band or debate team?
2) Would they be televised?
3) Would networks pay millions to televise?
Umm, I think my answer can be found in my earlier posts. I stated they added to the entertainment value and not the principle component. I thought it was clear they are not a revenue source.

It is also completely irrelevant to my point that they represent the university.

Lots are hypotheticals here.
I’ve always lived my life saying why worry about things I can’t control.
Not getting my panties in a wad over this mess, that not even officially a mess yet.
My biggest concern today, is what’s for dinner, and which bottle of wine should I open.
I’m just going to watch and see how this plays out.
Not drawing any lines in the sand……..

I don't know what the law is. I don't have performers.

Who was limiting this discussion to "great" recruits? Plenty of recruits would happily play for free.

If Pitt can find recruits who give us a chance to win the ACC who are willing to play for free, they should absolutely do it. Now go sell that idea to Narduzzi. Think he'll want to go that route?

Lots are hypotheticals here.
I’ve always lived my life saying why worry about things I can’t control.
Not getting my panties in a wad over this mess, that not even officially a mess yet.
My biggest concern today, is what’s for dinner, and which bottle of wine should I open.
I’m just going to watch and see how this plays out.
Not drawing any lines in the sand……..
I think we’re on the same page here.

Right now, Pitt is in the third best conference. If something happens to the ACC, we will end up in whatever the third best conference is after that, be it the Big 12 or some other entity.

There’s pretty much a 0% chance we make it into the Big Ten or SEC, but we essentially have the same possibility of being left behind altogether. So I’m content with whatever happens. :)

Reactions: Pitt1975
There’s pretty much a 0% chance we make it into the Big Ten or SEC, but we essentially have the same possibility of being left behind altogether.
I hope they keep playing no matter what AT ANY LEVEL, I've been watching pretty much ONLY Pitt football for close to 50 years, every year I watch JUST their games and am usually totally oblivious to the Top 25 or "big picture" unless it's one of the rare years that Pitt sneaks into that. So, in my little Pitt World, it doesn't matter what level they are at or who the opponents are, I will just watch them as usual, so I hope they keep having a team and there's still a way to watch, otherwise I probably won't watch college football at all, I seriously have never sat down and watched an SEC or B1G game in decades.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
If Pitt can find recruits who give us a chance to win the ACC who are willing to play for free, they should absolutely do it. Now go sell that idea to Narduzzi. Think he'll want to go that route?
He already said he has nothing to do with NIL.

I would think colleges would do away with cheerleaders BEFORE the legal battle of whether or not they should be paid rears its head.

Conversely.....if some kid was a cheerleader at say Wake Forest and that person went on to become a hedge fund billionaire, perhaps Wake offers a cheerleader team funded by a wealthy alum?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT