ADVERTISEMENT

10 quick thoughts

the_insider_

Freshman
Gold Member
Dec 15, 2018
Yesterday's loss was deflating. It was the most excited I've been for a Pitt game in awhile. And it was just a total let down. So here are a couple quick thoughts.

1. The offensive talent is bare and Whipple doesn't have a ton to work with. But at the end of the day, you're a Division 1 players, and I expect much better hand out of the Pitt WRs. However, there do seem to be some playmakers in the incoming class.

2. That being said, Whipple's game plan was poor. And that's an understatement. We knew all week it was going to rain all day and they still came out throwing. Never gave the run game a chance and averaged (I believe) 4.8 yards/carry.

3. Duzz seems to get his teams UP for games, but not when it REALLY matters.

4. There is no reason for this many let downs by a football program over the course of my 25 year old life time.

5. What Narduzzi has done with the defense is great, but they need to force more turnovers. PSUs defense wasn't great yesterday, but turnovers had them in it.

6. Is Andre Powell underachieving? AJ Davis and Sibley were highly touted and to date haven't been great. Vincent Davis seems to be the most electic and he doesn't get enough PT, IMO. Also, his special teams unit don't seem to be doing too hot either.

7. VT clearly took last years beating personally and Pitt thought they could go in a bully them around and had another thing coming. It's shaping up that VT will be Pitt's rival in the ACC for football.

8. Is there a heir apparent to Whipple when he retires? Narduzzi needs to pick an offense and roll with it. When Whipple retires in a few years it should be an easy choice at who his replacement is. So whoever that is should be hired a year or two in advance so they can run the same offense. PSU, OSU and UNC have generally run the same offense. Continuity = success. See Pitt defense. Lastly, no one on the offensive staff seems to be OC quality.

9. Can Pitt please find a quality WR grad transfer? Oregon found one from Juwan Johnson.

10. Lastly, I'm tired of the fire Narduzzi/bench Pickett talk. Please stop. This program can't afford to hire someone who will leave the minute they win a few games and someone comes calling. If there was a better QB option they'd be in. Kenny isn't great, but he doesn't get a ton of help from the WR or OL and has very little run game.

HM: Love Duzz's big talk and subtle shots, but he needs to shut up. When you start winning 9/10/11 games a year you can talk a big game. Until then be quiet.

HM: Love Duzz's big talk and subtle shots, but he needs to shut up. When you start winning 9/10/11 games a year you can talk a big game. Until then be quiet.

Everyone needs to shut up and let their actions speak more than their words. We're down by 3 touchdowns in the 4th quarter, and still posing when we make a sack or break up a pass. Hell, I've seen our TE drop his first two passes in an earlier game, only to finally catch one for a 1st down, and he gets up and makes the first down signal and does the ball drop thing.

And the pre-game fights need to stop now. It's ridiculous and embarrassing. Not sure what anyone is trying to prove.

Everyone needs to shut up and let their actions speak more than their words. We're down by 3 touchdowns in the 4th quarter, and still posing when we make a sack or break up a pass. Hell, I've seen our TE drop his first two passes in an earlier game, only to finally catch one for a 1st down, and he gets up and makes the first down signal and does the ball drop thing.

And the pre-game fights need to stop now. It's ridiculous and embarrassing. Not sure what anyone is trying to prove.

Lack of discipline and focus.

Yesterday's loss was deflating. It was the most excited I've been for a Pitt game in awhile. And it was just a total let down. So here are a couple quick thoughts.

1. The offensive talent is bare and Whipple doesn't have a ton to work with. But at the end of the day, you're a Division 1 players, and I expect much better hand out of the Pitt WRs. However, there do seem to be some playmakers in the incoming class.

☑️

2. That being said, Whipple's game plan was poor. And that's an understatement. We knew all week it was going to rain all day and they still came out throwing. Never gave the run game a chance and averaged (I believe) 4.8 yards/carry.

☑️

If the coach needs to motivate you to get up for a game like that, maybe football isn’t your game. Try golf.

4. There is no reason for this many let downs by a football program over the course of my 25 year old life time.

☑️

5. What Narduzzi has done with the defense is great, but they need to force more turnovers. PSUs defense wasn't great yesterday, but turnovers had them in it.

Hard to get turnovers from a conservative offense like Va Tech’s.

6. Is Andre Powell underachieving? AJ Davis and Sibley were highly touted and to date haven't been great. Vincent Davis seems to be the most electic and he doesn't get enough PT, IMO. Also, his special teams unit don't seem to be doing too hot either.

He has a solid enough track record with RBs that I don’t see this as the problem. I would put the bullseye on the O-line and related coaches.

7. VT clearly took last years beating personally and Pitt thought they could go in a bully them around and had another thing coming. It's shaping up that VT will be Pitt's rival in the ACC for football.

☑️

8. Is there a heir apparent to Whipple when he retires? Narduzzi needs to pick an offense and roll with it. When Whipple retires in a few years it should be an easy choice at who his replacement is. So whoever that is should be hired a year or two in advance so they can run the same offense. PSU, OSU and UNC have generally run the same offense. Continuity = success. See Pitt defense. Lastly, no one on the offensive staff seems to be OC quality.

There is no heir apparent nor do I think one is wanted for Whipple if he can’t get this thing productive next year. If Narduzzi doesn’t reach 10 wins as a Pitt HC, his downfall will be lack of attention to establishing an offense via a stable a productive offensive coordinator.

9. Can Pitt please find a quality WR grad transfer? Oregon found one from Juwan Johnson.

Taysir Mack was supposed to be that guy. Juwan Johnson types don’t just decide to go to a program like Pitt over the likes of higher exposure teams. Remember, these guys are looking for exposure to get into the NFL. That being said, Pitt does have an angle to recruit with out of the transfer portal. They need immediate help and have an offense with the potential to easily get enough touches to record 1000 yards.

10. Lastly, I'm tired of the fire Narduzzi/bench Pickett talk. Please stop. This program can't afford to hire someone who will leave the minute they win a few games and someone comes calling. If there was a better QB option they'd be in. Kenny isn't great, but he doesn't get a ton of help from the WR or OL and has very little run game.

☑️ But the other QBs need a chance to compete if they are capable.

☑️

Stated this in another post about the offensive line, but I mentioned they are mostly FR/SO or JR with limited action and most Oline succeed as JR and SR. Oline has a chance to be significantly better next season. WR drops agree I'd like to see Wayne, Matthews, and Ffrench (if healthy).
Agree never gave it a chance. Should have used it to help KP settle into the game and wouldn't have fumbled score #2.
It seems like we do a great job of playing the underdog, but HCPN needs to learn how to play the role of the take what you want.

Wouldn't be a problem if we scored 24 pts a game. That would put us a 86th in PPG nationally not 110.
Seems to me like he's on the way out. He made some comments about Whipple dialing it up that makes it seem as though he doesn't like the new style. Remember this offensive staff was assemble to run the football in a power run game. Going all pass hasn't improved their coaching expertise.

Pitt needs to run a similar offense to Ohio State. Read option with lots of inside zone running and play action. Fits the type of players we can succeed in getting. KP would be better suited. Either to get dual threat guys then great pocket passers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT