ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The Internet

ChiefJusticeMarshall

Freshman
Gold Member
Jun 14, 2020
Anyone 50 or over, aka "old ****s" like me, know life prior to an internet. The Internet and its endless sources of information has a mostly positive effect on many things. It should bring us together, though algorithms in much of the social media seems to silo us and drive us apart.

But I have realized the single, one thing the internet has done.....and it is not a good thing. It finds any information you want. Let me repeat, it finds any information YOU WANT. Emphasis on "YOU" and "WANTING". That's the problem. Any belief you have, any narrative you believe, you can and will find dozens of sites of "experts" who will confirm and support these beliefs.

The truth is definitely whatever you want it to be. So now we have this alter-reality existing with everyone. It is really scary if you think about it. How dangerous is this? It will bring down society I believe, and things like "Skynet" from the Terminator, well, we are about here. People need to be a bit more savvy in these things. Stop taking these things as truths just because you want to believe them. Listen to the opposite side sometimes, doesn't mean they are right, but it helps you understand. The most isolated are the most vulnerable.

The reason why I am posting this, is a guy I know, who isn't a dummy, and played college sports, keeps sending me evidence of how "every game is fixed". As I try to tell him, that is impossible because in any crime, the biggest downfall to it being exposed is simply the number of people who know about it. Someone will talk. But my god, they can find this "evidence" on the internet that proves their point, and websites dedicating to prove these as "truths". Think "the twin towers were an inside job" type of stuff. This hopefully provokes some discussion and it really is apolitical, because it transcends party politics. It is us, it is the world, and it is an example just how easy people can and are being manipulated.

As a disclaimer, I am not John Conner and my mom's name is not Sarah.

So I wrote this Saturday afternoon. And in reading some things on the Key Bridge accident, it is proving the point of my post. People can believe whatever they want to believe and come up with "supporting evidence" from others on the internet. There is nothing that is not a "mark" or a conspiracy anymore. It is all related and part of some grand "plan". At least, you can find evidence of this on the internet and people do. They connect 2+2+2 and get 71. Somehow.

Anyone 50 or over, aka "old ****s" like me, know life prior to an internet. The Internet and its endless sources of information has a mostly positive effect on many things. It should bring us together, though algorithms in much of the social media seems to silo us and drive us apart.

But I have realized the single, one thing the internet has done.....and it is not a good thing. It finds any information you want. Let me repeat, it finds any information YOU WANT. Emphasis on "YOU" and "WANTING". That's the problem. Any belief you have, any narrative you believe, you can and will find dozens of sites of "experts" who will confirm and support these beliefs.

The truth is definitely whatever you want it to be. So now we have this alter-reality existing with everyone. It is really scary if you think about it. How dangerous is this? It will bring down society I believe, and things like "Skynet" from the Terminator, well, we are about here. People need to be a bit more savvy in these things. Stop taking these things as truths just because you want to believe them. Listen to the opposite side sometimes, doesn't mean they are right, but it helps you understand. The most isolated are the most vulnerable.

The reason why I am posting this, is a guy I know, who isn't a dummy, and played college sports, keeps sending me evidence of how "every game is fixed". As I try to tell him, that is impossible because in any crime, the biggest downfall to it being exposed is simply the number of people who know about it. Someone will talk. But my god, they can find this "evidence" on the internet that proves their point, and websites dedicating to prove these as "truths". Think "the twin towers were an inside job" type of stuff. This hopefully provokes some discussion and it really is apolitical, because it transcends party politics. It is us, it is the world, and it is an example just how easy people can and are being manipulated.

As a disclaimer, I am not John Conner and my mom's name is not Sarah.

On the other hand.... the Internet has allowed people to not be spoon fed by the media. Even if there's a lot of incorrect things out there, I think it's better than one single truth.

Here's an example. Lady has 400K followers. If this was a terrorist why did the ship call ahead Mayday so they could stop people from crossing the bridge and also at 1:00AM when there would be little traffic. But...someone follows this site on the internet and they will take this as "proof".

That's the thing...so many people lack critical thinking skills. Combine that with computer illiteracy and you have a deadly combo for conspiracy thinking.

I mean don't get me wrong...I love to debate the 2nd gunman on the grassy knoll...but these idiots that deny the holocaust or are 9/11 truthers are absolutely dangerous.

Reactions: xslfyk4 and 303vND
I think when history books are written 100 years from now, the internet will be talked about as the downfall of civilization.....for the reasons you mentioned. Whatever wild crazy stuff you believe in, you will find "evidence" of how true it is on the internet and often, this "evidence" will look real and seem real. And the source will even have some degree of responsibility. Perhaps a doctor, a professor, or just a popular social media presence. You can find it all on the internet.

The one conspiracy theory that I could never understand is the flat earth one. Why would there be a global effort to cover this up? What is there to gain by the cover-up?

I saw something on social media where someone posted the NC State/Oakland game was rigged becausw the score graphic on the screen awarded points to the wrong team. People actually believed it. Most didnt. But how dumb could you actually be to not understand that the scoreboard in the arena, not on the screen is what they go off of and even if the score was wrong, someone, a coach, a fan, somebody would realize it and fix it.

I think when history books are written 100 years from now, the internet will be talked about as the downfall of civilization.....for the reasons you mentioned. Whatever wild crazy stuff you believe in, you will find "evidence" of how true it is on the internet and often, this "evidence" will look real and seem real. And the source will even have some degree of responsibility. Perhaps a doctor, a professor, or just a popular social media presence. You can find it all on the internet.

The one conspiracy theory that I could never understand is the flat earth one. Why would there be a global effort to cover this up? What is there to gain by the cover-up?

I saw something on social media where someone posted the NC State/Oakland game was rigged becausw the score graphic on the screen awarded points to the wrong team. People actually believed it. Most didnt. But how dumb could you actually be to not understand that the scoreboard in the arena, not on the screen is what they go off of and even if the score was wrong, someone, a coach, a fan, somebody would realize it and fix it.
Your last paragraph coupled by a few other things is what prompted me to post what I did. I know a guy from my HS who played college sports and is convinced every game is fixed. Every game. Now I am not naive enough to think that there aren't or haven't been shaves or outright fixes. But every game?? I dismissed him as follows. What brings down any crime is usually witnesses. And when you have every game fixed, there are 1000's and 1000's of participants and people who know. So......you don't think they would keep it a secret that all sports are essentially Vince McMahon's WWF?? That never draws a counter rebuttal.

I did a Google search on OP’s premise and found it is not true. Quit posting false narratives!

You are saying that is not possible that the ship navigation was hacked and the ship was piloted into the base of the bridge?

I know River and harbor pilots. This is impossible unless the harbor pilot purposely did it or the navigation was hacked.

I can’t believe the bridge came down but at the very least, the bridge (and 695) would be closed as the bridge would be unsafe and need repairs from the impact of a cargo ship that big.

Your last paragraph coupled by a few other things is what prompted me to post what I did. I know a guy from my HS who played college sports and is convinced every game is fixed. Every game. Now I am not naive enough to think that there aren't or haven't been shaves or outright fixes. But every game?? I dismissed him as follows. What brings down any crime is usually witnesses. And when you have every game fixed, there are 1000's and 1000's of participants and people who know. So......you don't think they would keep it a secret that all sports are essentially Vince McMahon's WWF?? That never draws a counter rebuttal.

There are a growing number of people who truly believe the NFL is scripted. Some even feel its for political reasons revolving around Taylor Swift which is just incredible. But I am sure you can fine some bad plays, bad play calls, bad ref calls to fit that narrative.

There are a growing number of people who truly believe the NFL is scripted. Some even feel its for political reasons revolving around Taylor Swift which is just incredible. But I am sure you can fine some bad plays, bad play calls, bad ref calls to fit that narrative.
I mean, if you believe in ghosts, you likely will see ghosts.

What's really weird is that in the whole history of these fixes, there has never been a participant that has had a death bed epiphany and spilled the beans. People have done that kind of thing with all sorts of secrets over the years, but never one of the NFL conspirators.

Which, of course, just shows how damned good the conspiracy is.

What's really weird is that in the whole history of these fixes, there has never been a participant that has had a death bed epiphany and spilled the beans. People have done that kind of thing with all sorts of secrets over the years, but never one of the NFL conspirators.

Which, of course, just shows how damned good the conspiracy is.
Even more tight lipped than the Kennedy Assassinations

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT