ADVERTISEMENT

20 points on a Monday morning

Chris Peak

Lair Hall of Famer
Staff
Jun 19, 2004
Here are 20 things I'm thinking this morning.

1. That wasn’t a moral victory, but it also wasn’t a bad loss. It was a disappointing loss, a loss that could have and maybe should have been a win given the missed opportunities, but it wasn’t a bad loss. I can’t call an overtime loss against a ranked Power Five opponent a bad loss. It was just a loss.

2. I think there was hope that this would be the season Pitt would break through and go undefeated in the non-conference schedule. But most Pitt fans probably agreed that a loss would come, particularly when opening the season with a pair of Power Five games. And if you were going to pick one of the non-conference games to lose, you would pick Tennessee, right?

3. Israel Abanikanda had 175 yards of total offense on 26 touches. He set career highs for touches, rushing yards and total offense. I still think this offense is better with Abanikanda and Rodney Hammond both available, but Abanikanda showed on Saturday that he’s still really good.

4. I think it’s going to be awhile before Hammond returns, so Abanikanda is going to have to keep playing like that. I think the drop-off from Abanikanda/Hammond to the rest of the backs is pretty steep - as evidenced by Vincent Davis’ 5 carries/14 yards stat line and C’Bo Flemister’s complete lack of snaps against Tennessee.

5. I’m a little more optimistic about Kedon Slovis’ return. The initial rumors about the injury that took him out of the game for the second half involved his collarbone, which would obviously mean significant time missed. But I’ve since heard talk that maybe it wasn’t his collarbone but rather something he can come back from sooner.

6. I keep reminding myself of the fact that Slovis threw for 195 yards in the first half. Put that together with his performance against West Virginia, and Slovis has 503 passing yards in six quarters this season. But yes, Frank Cignetti is trying to run a stuck-in-the-mud run-first offense.

7. Now, if you want to tell me they run too much on first down, I might agree. I think variety is key there. And if you want to tell me that opposing defenses can sniff out when Pitt is looking to run, I don’t think you’re entirely wrong. But I would say that if this team is built the way we thought it was built, with veteran offensive linemen who would anxiously lean into a more balanced attack with an emphasis on establishing the run, then at some point they need to be able to run the ball even if the opponent is pretty sure it’s coming.

8. That brings me to the biggest key on offense, and I know I’m not the only one to say it: what a disappointment the offensive line has been this season. That unit was supposed to be a strength of the team and one of the big reasons Pitt’s offense as whole would transition a bit more seamlessly to the post-Pickett/Addison/Whipple era. Instead, it has been a major issue.

9. What’s worse, they seem to have regressed from 2021. I don’t buy that Kenny Pickett’s mobility covered for the offensive line’s shortcomings; to some extent, that’s true, but overall, they protected Pickett pretty well last season. Pro Football Focus says Pickett was under pressure on 27.7% of his drop-backs in 2021; on Saturday, Slovis and Nick Patti were pressured 50% of the time. That’s just not viable. You can’t have your quarterback under pressure half the time he drops back.

10. One final note on the offense: Jared Wayne and Gavin Bartholomew (Abanikanda, too) are this team’s best threats in the passing game. Maybe Konata Mumpfield or Bub Means will level out in their consistency and join that group. Maybe Jaden Bradley or Jaylon Barden will get the opportunities to show what they can do. But right now, Nos. 5 and 86 are the most dangerous and reliable weapons this team has, and they have to get the ball. A lot.

11. One thing that stood out to me on both Saturday and Sunday was the value of a truly elite receiver. I think I had forgotten what kind of difference a player like that can make, or maybe I just took it for granted. But after watching Pitt for two games, the point was hammered home. There were plays throughout the WVU and Tennessee games that simply weren’t made, but I am more than confident that an elite receiver catches them. And this isn’t just about Jordan Addison, because the point was reinforced in the Steelers-Bengals game: you saw plays that some receivers tried to make and plays that Diontae Johnson and Jamarr Chase did make. If you have an elite receiver, you can get a little extra coverage on other issues (poor protection, off-target throws, etc.).

12. And then there’s the other side of the line. If Pitt’s offensive line has been a disappointment, the defensive line isn’t far behind. Remember how I said that Slovis and Patti were under pressure 50% of the time they dropped back? Hendon Hooker was under pressure on just 24% of his drop-backs. They got after JT Daniels a little more in the opener - he saw pressure 34.9% of the time when he dropped back - but the defensive line simply has to get after the quarterback more when facing a potent passing game like Tennessee’s.

13. Pitt is currently tied for No. 16 nationally and No. 2 in the ACC with an average of 3.0 sacks per game, which is pretty good, particularly when you consider that the Panthers have faced two Power Five opponents (for contrast, Michigan State leads the nation with 12 sacks after two games, but the Spartans piled up those stats against Western Michigan and Akron). But I don’t think anyone - especially the linemen or DL coach Charlie Partridge - would say that unit has played up to its expectations.

14. I mentioned Michigan State having 12 sacks after facing Western Michigan and Akron. Seven of those 12 sacks came in the season opener against WMU, so maybe there will be an opportunity for Pitt to get back on track in that category this weekend in Kalamazoo.

15. The line isn’t the only unit that needs to take a big step. I have been willing to give the linebackers some leniency due to their relative youth/inexperience, but the timeline on that is getting short. I thought they were better against Tennessee than they were against WVU, but there is still a whole lot of room for growth in that unit - and it needs to start happening. I had pretty high expectations for Bangally Kamara this season and I know the coaches did, too (they were possibly more hyped about him than I was), but he hasn’t shown it so far.

16. Maybe WMU is what Pitt needs right now. There’s no question that the Panthers opened with a tough pair of games, breaking in a new quarterback, a new offense and new outside linebackers against two Power Five opponents. That doesn’t entirely account for why the veteran returning groups in the trenches have failed to meet expectations, but I think we can all agree it was a gauntlet of a start to the season. We all know WMU isn’t a pushover; last year’s game taught that lesson. But the Broncos look a little less threatening than they were in 2021 now that Kaleb Eleby and Skyy Moore are gone. I still think Pitt needs to play at a high level and should not overlook Norwin grad Jack Salopek and returning receiver Corey Crooms (he had eight catches for 161 yards against Pitt last season). But after facing WVU and Tennessee, the Panthers should be ready for this game.

17. The biggest question right now is which players will be available. Kedon Slovis, Owen Drexel and Devin Danielson all left the game, while Nick Patti and SirVocea Dennis, among others, were clearly hurt. There’s also the ongoing questions of Hammond and Gabe Houy. Pitt can’t afford to play this one with a light roster by choice; it’s too dangerous of a game. The coaches have to find a way to survive this game and then they’ll have a chance to give some players a rest in the final game of September against Rhode Island.

18. Overall, 1-1 isn’t a terrible place for Pitt to be. I predicted 10-2 in the preseason with Tennessee as one of the likely or, at the very least, possible losses, so that’s still in play. And I think there have been encouraging signs. Slovis has played well and got progressively more comfortable over his six quarters. Wayne is playing at a high level. Bartholomew just needs the ball. Abanikanda can be a game-breaker. And the defense has potential beyond what it has shown so far.

19. Pitt did stay in the polls this week despite the loss to the Volunteers. The Panthers slipped from 14 to 25 in the coaches poll and 17 to 23 in the Associated Press rankings. That’s not too bad; I think it’s a show of respect for how Pitt played, and I think the voters are giving Pitt a chance to keep itself in the national conversation. Barring a disaster, the Panthers should have a chance to climb back into the top 20 by the start of October when they open ACC play against Georgia Tech.

20. Speaking of the ACC, this weekend was interesting. Duke might be good. Syracuse obliterated UConn. Louisville bounced back against UCF. Clemson didn’t exactly light up Furman. North Carolina’s “Play two Sun Belt teams on the road” experiment produced another near-disaster. And Virginia Tech beat Boston College because somebody had to win that game. Overall, there wasn’t really anything that would make you think this conference is not winnable for a bunch of teams - Pitt included.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News