ADVERTISEMENT

"A Closer Look: Analysis of Wrestling HC Keith Gavin"

HOF Coach

All P I T T !
Gold Member
Dec 13, 2012
Harry Psaros wrote the above titled column. He interviewed Stephen Patrick, the founder of the Pitt Wrestling Blog, to get his take.

Link

Reactions: upitt98
Harry Psaros wrote the above titled column. He interviewed Stephen Patrick, the founder of the Pitt Wrestling Blog, to get his take.

Link
Thanks for posting. This interview fills the gap on the article you posted on the issues of a regional training center and local clubs. Gavin views the regional training center as key and noted he has work to do to build relationships with the local clubs (and get out of the "club business").

Reactions: cabe23
Thanks for posting. This interview fills the gap on the article you posted on the issues of a regional training center and local clubs. Gavin views the regional training center as key and noted he has work to do to build relationships with the local clubs (and get out of the "club business").

Thank you.

I don't have a dog in this "fight" as I never followed wrestling, high school or college, nor have I ever attended a wrestling match in my life. However, I am sympathetic to our passionate PITT Wrestling fans and plan to make a donation to help the program.

I only make these posts so that current and, hopefully, accurate information can be shared with those who care about the program.

Thank you.

I don't have a dog in this "fight" as I never followed wrestling, high school or college, nor have I ever attended a wrestling match in my life. However, I am sympathetic to our passionate PITT Wrestling fans and plan to make a donation to help the program.

I only make these posts so that current and, hopefully, accurate information can be shared with those who care about the program.
I'm in kind of a similar boat. I grew up as a big wrestling fan--father wrestled at Lafayette College--and really enjoy the sport, generally. I stopped following it closely after I went to Pitt and just got sapped on time. Now, I have little kids, want to introduce them to the sport and I think Pitt is at a crossroads as a program and athletic department. I think things are going to upswing for Pitt wrestling and I hope I'm correct as an alum, wrestling fan and father of two boys who will probably wrestle or be fans. This hire is a pivot and it sparked my interest in Pitt wrestling, a lot. Hope Gavin nails it.

I encourage you guys to show up and watch some matches. If you have never watched wrestling before, any wrestling fan will be happy to explain things to you. If you have been away for a while, you can reconnect very easily.

In my opinion, one of the biggest things holding Pitt back is the pathetic coverage from the Post Gazette, and to a lesser extent, the Trib. But that starts with Pitt. They need to promote all of their sports better in the media.

College wrestling is definitely a great spectator sport. It has a chance to grow now that it's on TV

Reactions: HOF Coach
Harry, with a nice article. We talked, and definitely Pitt Wrestling is going to start to get great coverage and exposure going forward. There are many passionate wrestling fans(as was seen through this hiring process) who want to see Pitt Wrestling in that elite top 10 again. I'm looking forward to seeing who Gavin assembles on his staff, his plans going forward, recruiting, club development. Hopefully, we can get more people to support the program and see it flourish in the future.

Smart...Young Guns, is the place to start. I'm sure Keith realizes that. Just keep the local talent at home , hit Cleveland area..build the Pitt brand. Getting a great staff, will go a long way.

Reactions: jctrack and upitt98
Smart...Young Guns, is the place to start. I'm sure Keith realizes that. Just keep the local talent at home , hit Cleveland area..build the Pitt brand. Getting a great staff, will go a long way.

Is there anything that has soured Young Guns on Pitt? Or they just went elsewhere?

Keith has already talked to Strittmatter

Reactions: 33Rocks
Is there anything that has soured Young Guns on Pitt? Or they just went elsewhere?
No in the past it seemed certain people told the kids to go to one over the other
Just started this competition for kids which was not ultimately beneficial

So there wasnt a flash point or any real reason for it to happen
It happened years ago

The Pitt club is not into the business to compete for the kids

The club just needs to get the kids in the room now

I think going forward things will be better

My son wrestles for a club in the off-season. Although he has one main club, he probably hits half a dozen different rooms over the course of a summer.

I have seen disputes arise over where one kid or another is practicing. I don't believe that PWC has a reputation for "stealing" kids, nor do I think they created any bad blood over who was in their room (Team Nauman is a different story). I think Gavin is totally right, though. Rather than have your own club as a recruiting tool, get the staff and team get around to all of the other clubs. They will get to meet far more kids that way.

Have a camp series of your own, and be clinicians at numerous others. Last summer Young Guns had John Smith, Terry Brands, Sammy Henson, Michael Kemerer, and Cary Kolat as clinicians at a one week camp. I know that Cael has been there in past. Building relationships with the kids and club coaches is the way to go.

Just around the Western PA you have Young Guns, Quest, All-American, Gladiators, Bad Karma, Mat Factory, Ragin' Raisins, Pitt Bull/NA (Sunny Abe), and others. Eastern PA has Dark Knights, Weaver Elite, Buxton, SEPA, etc. Eastern OH is the same. The talent is amazing! Getting the top kids will take a while, but it seems simple that this is the way to get it done. Granted, PA has more D1 programs to feed than any other state, it's plain to see that Pitt needs to do better in this area.

My son wrestles for a club in the off-season. Although he has one main club, he probably hits half a dozen different rooms over the course of a summer.

I have seen disputes arise over where one kid or another is practicing. I don't believe that PWC has a reputation for "stealing" kids, nor do I think they created any bad blood over who was in their room (Team Nauman is a different story). I think Gavin is totally right, though. Rather than have your own club as a recruiting tool, get the staff and team get around to all of the other clubs. They will get to meet far more kids that way.

Have a camp series of your own, and be clinicians at numerous others. Last summer Young Guns had John Smith, Terry Brands, Sammy Henson, Michael Kemerer, and Cary Kolat as clinicians at a one week camp. I know that Cael has been there in past. Building relationships with the kids and club coaches is the way to go.

Just around the Western PA you have Young Guns, Quest, All-American, Gladiators, Bad Karma, Mat Factory, Ragin' Raisins, Pitt Bull/NA (Sunny Abe), and others. Eastern PA has Dark Knights, Weaver Elite, Buxton, SEPA, etc. Eastern OH is the same. The talent is amazing! Getting the top kids will take a while, but it seems simple that this is the way to get it done. Granted, PA has more D1 programs to feed than any other state, it's plain to see that Pitt needs to do better in this area.
I guess the phrase stealing kids is wrong but I just didn't want to get into specifics
The past is the past

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT