ADVERTISEMENT

ACC PM

Chairman Moe

All Conference
Nov 4, 2003
Just around the corner from Paradise
1) Packer couldn't get over the irony of the Kenny Pickett rule coming into play on Saturday's game

2) watching the replay of "the slide" ... the line judge who made the call was 7 yards behind the play. 7 yards. 21 feet. (For reference, that's about the average size of the width of your family room) He never moved at all as Vailleux headed toward the first down marker ... how in HELL can a ref tell WHERE a player started his slide from that distance?

I'm reminded often that it's not one play that determines the outcome of games. As I watch the replay, this was one time where I think it might have

SMH

1) Packer couldn't get over the irony of the Kenny Pickett rule coming into play on Saturday's game

2) watching the replay of "the slide" ... the line judge who made the call was 7 yards behind the play. 7 yards. 21 feet. (For reference, that's about the average size of the width of your family room) He never moved at all as Vailleux headed toward the first down marker ... how in HELL can a ref tell WHERE a player started his slide from that distance?

I'm reminded often that it's not one play that determines the outcome of games. As I watch the replay, this was one time where I think it might have

SMH
He MAY have been able to guess where he thought CV started his slide. MAYBE? But there is NO WAY from that angle that he could possibly tell with ANY precision where the slide started relative to where the 1st down line was. NFW!!! He GUESSED. No question about it.

He MAY have been able to guess where he thought CV started his slide. MAYBE? But there is NO WAY from that angle that he could possibly tell with ANY precision where the slide started relative to where the 1st down line was. NFW!!! He GUESSED. No question about it.
The whole point of replay is to get the calls right. Why was that call not looked at, to get it right? It really determined the outcome of the game, and yet we are told it was not able to be reviewed. It makes no sense.

Same ref who called the first of the two (deserved, BTW) unsportsmanlike conduct calls on McMillan. If we chirped at him after the uc calls ... just sayin'

In all seriousness, this was the first time I watched the replay and focused on the ref who made the call. It almost looked like he had it determined to mark it short

The whole point of replay is to get the calls right. Why was that call not looked at, to get it right? It really determined the outcome of the game, and yet we are told it was not able to be reviewed. It makes no sense.
Good point. I don’t have an answer. Except that there was NO camera angle directly down the 1st down line.

Non “premier” games (like Pitt @ WF) are being forced to have to deal with decisions where there is inadequate equipment in place to allow for accurate replay review. This is what the unwashed masses are relegated to. 😏

Good point. I don’t have an answer. Except that there was NO camera angle directly down the 1st down line.

Non “premier” games (like Pitt @ WF) are being forced to have to deal with decisions where there is inadequate equipment in place to allow for accurate replay review. This is what the unwashed masses are relegated to. 😏
Sure, but apparently the issue is that they did not even look to review it. If you are unable to review that call, it does not matter what camera angles are available.

That ref was excited to make that call. Just terrible. Imagine how pissed we would be if we were actually good and the game meant something!

Same ref who called the first of the two (deserved, BTW) unsportsmanlike conduct calls on McMillan. If we chirped at him after the uc calls ... just sayin'

In all seriousness, this was the first time I watched the replay and focused on the ref who made the call. It almost looked like he had it determined to mark it short
Noticed that he wasn’t in position to make an accurate call right away. Even posted about it on Saturday.

Look, Pitt could’ve (probably should’ve ) won regardless of that 1 call. But it’s still galling to see that type of officiating come into play when it has a direct bearing on the final outcome of a game.

In particular when the same conference called a very similar play in the Duke @ FSU game exactly the opposite. And in that game, the official making the call WAS in the right position. 😏

Sure, but apparently the issue is that they did not even look to review it. If you are unable to review that call, it does not matter what camera angles are available.
I believe that’s WHY they didn’t review it. The cameras they had were incapable of making an accurate evaluation. So they just went with the call on the field.

Replay in those situations is a joke. But those in charge will NEVER admit it. 🤷‍♂️

SMH
for that simple fact and no one was within two yards of CV on defense he should have given him the benefit of the doubt instead of making an uneducated guess...

SMH
How many times is someone going to complain about the ref making the call being so many yards behind the ball and out of position.

Regardless of where he was, he still ended up correctly placing the ball consistent with one plausible interpretation of when he started his slide. Only thing to debate is the umpteen other interpretations of when he started his slide.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
How many times is someone going to complain about the ref making the call being so many yards behind the ball and out of position.

Regardless of where he was, he still ended up correctly placing the ball consistent with one plausible interpretation of when he started his slide. Only thing to debate is the umpteen other interpretations of when he started his slide.

Yea, I don't understand why people are so bent out of shape about that. The call was correct, maybe he lucked into it. The rule is bad. And I agree with the other folks who said they should have just given the guy a 1st down and not be such a stickler. He had it. Maybe he didnt want to reward the stupidity of needlessly trying to stay in bounds but no one complains if he just gave him the 1st. That ref reminds me of some nerd who has to be so literal.

Yea, I don't understand why people are so bent out of shape about that. The call was correct, maybe he lucked into it. The rule is bad. And I agree with the other folks who said they should have just given the guy a 1st down and not be such a stickler. He had it. Maybe he didnt want to reward the stupidity of needlessly trying to stay in bounds but no one complains if he just gave him the 1st. That ref reminds me of some nerd who has to be so literal.
Well the other thing to debate is whether or not the ref knew he was spotting the ball past or short of the down marker. It’s not like he has that nice yellow line we see on the TV screen calling out the 1st down line.

The play was near the down marker at the sideline but I sure didn’t see the ref glance over to note where that marker was and then pick his spot for the ball. So unless he had a mental note in his mind of what yard number was needed for the 1st down, being past or short of the down marker didn’t enter into his decision of where to spot the ball.

I was thinking the same thing.

As far as people arguing that we should never have been that position, they're right. But teams play poorly all the time and win. That a team played poorly is not a valid excuse that it's okay for a bad call to cost a team a win.

As a fan, it's our inherent right to complain about bad calls made by officials against the teams we root for. Think of this as an early "Festivus Day", and we are airing our grievances

FWIW, I don't think that KP made the first down in the Steelers v Rams game. If I were a Rams fan I would be bitching about that, too

In all seriousness, at the very least, the sideline official should be questioned about his call - especially given his position on the play - shown the replay - given better instructions on how to call that - whatever. Football officials aren't infallible

Well the other thing to debate is whether or not the ref knew he was spotting the ball past or short of the down marker. It’s not like he has that nice yellow line we see on the TV screen calling out the 1st down line.

The play was near the down marker at the sideline but I sure didn’t see the ref glance over to note where that marker was and then pick his spot for the ball. So unless he had a mental note in his mind of what yard number was needed for the 1st down, being past or short of the down marker didn’t enter into his decision of where to spot the ball.
I disagree. True, the ref can't see the "yellow line", but he CAN see the sticks. And being a line judge (or whatever they're called these days) he should KNOW what the line to gain is for a first down. As clearly, from the wide angle replay, he is NOT looking at the sticks. And from that same angle it didn't appear that his eyes moved toward the runner at all. While I couldn't prove it, it seemed he decided to mark it short, regardless. This was egregious and in a poll of 100 persons with no "dog in the fight", had they watched it in real time - as the ref did - all 100 would have said, "First down". Period

As a fan, it's our inherent right to complain about bad calls made by officials against the teams we root for. Think of this as an early "Festivus Day", and we are airing our grievances

FWIW, I don't think that KP made the first down in the Steelers v Rams game. If I were a Rams fan I would be bitching about that, too

In all seriousness, at the very least, the sideline official should be questioned about his call - especially given his position on the play - shown the replay - given better instructions on how to call that - whatever. Football officials aren't infallible
I’m not questioning your right as a fan to complain about a ref’s call. I’m just questioning the thought that the ref wasn’t in position to make the correct call when in fact, the video and still photo evidence shows he made a pretty accurate spot of the ball……..depending on your interpretation of when the slide starts.

• Haha
I read that, too. "A source" told us ... yup; that's what journalism is these days. No actual person cited with the statement ... just a "source"

The ACC would NEVER throw one of their game day officials under the bus, publicly. And to Coach Narduzzi's credit, he HAS to take the high road and not call out referees. But also to his credit, he publicly stated that this rule needs to be clarified to all of the conference officials. The still photo taken of the FSU QB who was obviously starting his slide short of the yard to gain, and was credited with a first down, is evidence to me that the ref's have no clue

I disagree. True, the ref can't see the "yellow line", but he CAN see the sticks. And being a line judge (or whatever they're called these days) he should KNOW what the line to gain is for a first down. As clearly, from the wide angle replay, he is NOT looking at the sticks. And from that same angle it didn't appear that his eyes moved toward the runner at all. While I couldn't prove it, it seemed he decided to mark it short, regardless. This was egregious and in a poll of 100 persons with no "dog in the fight", had they watched it in real time - as the ref did - all 100 would have said, "First down". Period
Not sure I’m understanding what you’re saying since you’re agreeing with me that he can’t see the yellow line and the replay doesn’t show him looking at the sticks before spotting the ball. So I don’t know how that means he was knowingly or purposely spotting the ball short.

Granted, as I said, you’d think he may have some idea of what yard line was needed for the 1st down, but I sure can’t conclude from that he knowingly spotted the ball short.

So I don’t know how that means he was knowingly or purposely spotting the ball short.
In another post I connected that ref being the same one who called the Unsportsmanlike Conduct penalty on McMillan (which was justified, BTW). Only speculation, but if McMillan or one of our players/coaches added more fuel to the fire of that UC call, that ref might've had some reason to spot it where he did ... no proof, obviously, but certainly too coincidental
Granted, as I said, you’d think he may have some idea of what yard line was needed for the 1st down, but I sure can’t conclude from that he knowingly spotted the ball short.
Or did he???!! 🤬

You think ACC officials will do anything to hurt the only ACC team with a chance at making the college football playoff?

Don't expect any vital calls in two weeks to go Pitt's way when Florida State is here at Acrisure.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT