ADVERTISEMENT

ACC scheduling.

TIGER-PAUL

Athletic Director
Jan 14, 2005
thoughts?

Practically every participant at the meetings expressed a desire for a change to the current football rotation, which sees several teams squaring off only once every six years. But the group was no closer to a solution when the meetings adjourned than when they began four days earlier.
"In the end, everybody may have to give up something," FSU athletics director Stan Wilcox told Warchant. "And we're trying to minimize what has to be given up. There are a couple options that we've looked at, and we've asked them to give us more options. So the conference is going to go back and work on different options."
Several ACC administrators and football coaches have voiced disappointment that their players will not get the opportunity to face every school in the conference before graduating.
"I would love for a guy to come to Clemson and be able to play everybody in the league at least once during his career," Clemson coach Dabo Swinney said.
Unless compromise is reached on one of three fronts, however, a solution could be difficult to come by. Either some traditional rivals will have to accept not facing each other every year, the conference will have to shuffle its divisions, or the league must move to a nine-game ACC schedule.
In a tight vote at last year's meetings, the conference decided to stick with an eight-game ACC slate. The nine-game option, which would ensure that schools face every conference opponent within a three-year span but would also limit the options for high-profile non-conference games, was not discussed this year. But Swofford said it could be revisited.
"I don't think that's gone away as a possibility," he said.
One option with an eight-game schedule, Swofford said, would be to shuffle schools so that traditional rivals would be placed in the same divisions. That would mean moving Florida State, N.C. State and Clemson to the Coastal Division, or sending Miami, North Carolina and Georgia Tech to the Atlantic.
Of course, a move like that would bring about a different set of issues, such as competitive balance between the two divisions.
"When those rivalry games are within a division, that's easy," Swofford said. "When they're not, that's when you get into probably complicating the schedule some. So we'll continue to look at that and see if there are better ways to reach that common thread of playing each other as frequently as we can, because that's part of being a conference."

https://floridastate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1767028

I would prefer the ACC sticks with the status quo. However, if they have to move to nine conference games, so be it. I am ADAMANTLY opposed to radically realigning the divisions or eliminating them altogether as I think both of those scenarios are bad for Pitt. Some of those scenarios would absolutely KILL Pitt's home attendance.

I've said this before: eliminate the crossover game.
The only one that matters is Florida State-Miami, and that's only when Miami is good. And, in that scenario, it's not fair for those two teams to have to play each other every year while other schools get a lesser opponent each year.

That, and/or teams can schedule cross-division opponents OOC.

If they did radically realign divisions, why not make it a doughnut configuration with the Tobacco Road schools (plus Virginia Tech) in one division and the newer members in the other division? With the number of schools located in urban centers, borrow from the NHL and call it the Metropolitan Division.

Tobacco Road Division / ACC
  1. Clemson
  2. Duke
  3. North Carolina
  4. NC State
  5. Virginia
  6. Virginia Tech
  7. Wake Forest

Metropolitan Division / ACC
  1. Boston College
  2. Florida State
  3. Georgia Tech
  4. Louisville
  5. Miami
  6. Pitt
  7. Syracuse

That would put us in the far more difficult division but it would also make our annual schedule that much more appealing. Also, our road trips would be cool and with so many of the TR division games so close to each other, that would help attendance too.

Last edited:
Annual crossover opponents (if you have one):
  • Clemson (Florida State)
  • Duke (Syracuse)
  • North Carolina (Georgia Tech)
  • NC State (Louisville)
  • Virginia (Pitt)
  • Virginia Tech (Miami)
  • Wake Forest (Boston College)

I've said this before: eliminate the crossover game.
The only one that matters is Florida State-Miami, and that's only when Miami is good. And, in that scenario, it's not fair for those two teams to have to play each other every year while other schools get a lesser opponent each year.

That, and/or teams can schedule cross-division opponents OOC.

It won't happen. You might get a situation where the crossover game is optional, but it will never be completely eliminated. Miami and Florida St simply won't give up that rivalry game. The only reason the divisions are set up this way in the first place (and thus the crossover games) is precisely because that's how Miami and Florida St wanted it.

Along those same lines, you will never get rid of NC State/North Carolina. It simply won't be allowed. You could make the crossover game optional, which would at least free up most of the teams.

thoughts?

Practically every participant at the meetings expressed a desire for a change to the current football rotation, which sees several teams squaring off only once every six years. But the group was no closer to a solution when the meetings adjourned than when they began four days earlier.
"In the end, everybody may have to give up something," FSU athletics director Stan Wilcox told Warchant. "And we're trying to minimize what has to be given up. There are a couple options that we've looked at, and we've asked them to give us more options. So the conference is going to go back and work on different options."
Several ACC administrators and football coaches have voiced disappointment that their players will not get the opportunity to face every school in the conference before graduating.
"I would love for a guy to come to Clemson and be able to play everybody in the league at least once during his career," Clemson coach Dabo Swinney said.
Unless compromise is reached on one of three fronts, however, a solution could be difficult to come by. Either some traditional rivals will have to accept not facing each other every year, the conference will have to shuffle its divisions, or the league must move to a nine-game ACC schedule.
In a tight vote at last year's meetings, the conference decided to stick with an eight-game ACC slate. The nine-game option, which would ensure that schools face every conference opponent within a three-year span but would also limit the options for high-profile non-conference games, was not discussed this year. But Swofford said it could be revisited.
"I don't think that's gone away as a possibility," he said.
One option with an eight-game schedule, Swofford said, would be to shuffle schools so that traditional rivals would be placed in the same divisions. That would mean moving Florida State, N.C. State and Clemson to the Coastal Division, or sending Miami, North Carolina and Georgia Tech to the Atlantic.
Of course, a move like that would bring about a different set of issues, such as competitive balance between the two divisions.
"When those rivalry games are within a division, that's easy," Swofford said. "When they're not, that's when you get into probably complicating the schedule some. So we'll continue to look at that and see if there are better ways to reach that common thread of playing each other as frequently as we can, because that's part of being a conference."

https://floridastate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1767028

Having FSU and Clemson in the coastal would no doubt create a little sexier ACC schedule for us, although I would not want to lose Miami.

Also, playing Florida and Clemson every year would help us better gauge how good our Pitt team really is in a particular year (as those two schools are always at the top of the conference). Then again, it would mean a tougher time come away with a victory in each of those games.

Being that neither FSU nor Clemson is on the schedule this year and being that pretty much our entire offense is back and being that the new coach was one of the best defensive coordinators in the game, we should certainly expect better results this year than last. Goodness, I hope Narduzzi is the real deal– a coach who makes winners on and off the field instead of one who makes excuses after bad losses.

This is why I like the 3 division idea. It allows all schools to play each other at least once every 2 years while protecting all annual rivalry games. All 4 year players are guaranteed to play all ACC teams at least twice and are guaranteed to play at every ACC stadium. Not only that, it geographically aligns the division and makes the "race to Charlotte" that much more exciting.

North
BC
Pitt
Syr
Lou

Central
UVa
VT
NCSU
Duke
UNC

South
Wake
Clemson
GT
FSU
Miami

For example, Pitt would play BC, Syr, and Lou every year and would play 3 Central teams and 2 South teams. The next year, we'd play the 3 North teams, then the 2 Central teams we didnt play the year before and the 3 South teams we didnt play the year before.

The South would be loaded but for those schools who want to be in the SEC anyway, it would be like playing in the SEC while still in the ACC.

If they did radically realign divisions, why not make it a doughnut configuration with the Tobacco Road schools (plus Virginia Tech) in one division and the newer members in the other division? With the number of schools located in urban centers, borrow from the NHL and call it the Metropolitan Division.

1. Clemson
  2. Duke
  3. North Carolina
  4. NC State
  5. Virginia
  6. Virginia Tech
  7. Wake Forest

1. Boston College
  2. Florida State
  3. Georgia Tech
  4. Louisville
  5. Miami
  6. Pitt
  7. Syracuse

That would put us in the far more difficult division but it would also make our annual schedule that much more appealing. Also, our road trips would be cool and with so many of the TR division games so close to each other, that would help attendance too.

I like it Dr. Von and the TR division sure would save on travel costs. Although I do like making and look forward to those trips to Virginia and the Carolinas. Plus, would the ACC lose out on FSU-Clemson regular season game every year unless you're expecting that to be the ACCCG anyway?

This is why I like the 3 division idea. It allows all schools to play each other at least once every 2 years while protecting all annual rivalry games. All 4 year players are guaranteed to play all ACC teams at least twice and are guaranteed to play at every ACC stadium. Not only that, it geographically aligns the division and makes the "race to Charlotte" that much more exciting.

North
BC
Pitt
Syr
Lou

Central
UVa
VT
NCSU
Duke
UNC

South
Wake
Clemson
GT
FSU
Miami

For example, Pitt would play BC, Syr, and Lou every year and would play 3 Central teams and 2 South teams. The next year, we'd play the 3 North teams, then the 2 Central teams we didnt play the year before and the 3 South teams we didnt play the year before.

The South would be loaded but for those schools who want to be in the SEC anyway, it would be like playing in the SEC while still in the ACC.
So, we have 3 opponents in our "division", the others have 4. How balanced is that. I say we add UMASS & Nova and have 4 divisions of 4 teams. That'd make you happy, right?

I really think the only way to improve it is to go to nine conference games. Then you have your permanent crossover and two rotating crossovers. That will speed up the rotation a bit.

1. Clemson
  2. Duke
  3. North Carolina
  4. NC State
  5. Virginia
  6. Virginia Tech
  7. Wake Forest

1. Boston College
  2. Florida State
  3. Georgia Tech
  4. Louisville
  5. Miami
  6. Pitt
  7. Syracuse

What is ironic about this....is FSU, Ga Tech and Louisville used to be part of the "Metro" conference in basketball. Was a really great conference too with Memphis State and Cincy.

So, we have 3 opponents in our "division", the others have 4. How balanced is that. I say we add UMASS & Nova and have 4 divisions of 4 teams. That'd make you happy, right?
The "balance" of our division wouldn't matter. Essentially, the South Champion would be playing whoever had the better record between the North champ and the Central Champ. The North Champ would have to play 5 games against Central and South teams so there will be plenty of opportunities for the North Champ to get beaten and end up with a worse record than the Central Champ.

All divisions arent created equal. Look at the Big Ten and SEC. Geography is best.

I really think the only way to improve it is to go to nine conference games. Then you have your permanent crossover and two rotating crossovers. That will speed up the rotation a bit.
The thing is, the only cross-over games you really need in the current format are Miami/FSU, UNC/NCSU, and Clem/GT. Just keep those ones. Pitt/Syr, BC/VT, Duke/Wake, and Lou/UVa are not big rivalries and certainly don't need to be protected.

I would prefer the ACC sticks with the status quo. However, if they have to move to nine conference games, so be it. I am ADAMANTLY opposed to radically realigning the divisions or eliminating them altogether as I think both of those scenarios are bad for Pitt. Some of those scenarios would absolutely KILL Pitt's home attendance.

Why??? So playing Clemson FSU, Louisville, more would "absolutely KILL home attendance"? Even without thinking about the teams having more variety would seem to increase attendance.

North
BC
Pitt
Syr
Lou

Central
UVa
VT
NCSU
Duke
UNC

South
Wake
Clemson
GT
FSU
Miami

BC, Pitt, Cuse in the same division and FSU, Clemson, GT, Miami in another? And how would that work with one division only having only 4 teams??

The answer is the 3 + 5. Every team gets three annual rivalries and playes the other 10 teams every other year. Its clean and keeps the important rivalries in-tact. Most importantly is that it creates a much better TV viewing for leverage in trying to get the ACC Network.

Why??? So playing Clemson FSU, Louisville, more would "absolutely KILL home attendance"? Even without thinking about the teams having more variety would seem to increase attendance.

Because we don't need variety, we need rivals.

Look, we are a minor league team competing in a major league market. That's tough sledding to attract fans in that climate no matter how successful you are on the field. Ask Miami. Ask Boston College. Ask Georgia Tech. It's not easy. In fact, it's damn hard.

People here just look at pro football as being inherently superior to college football - and they're right. It's tough to get a local in a pro market geared up for a big game between 4-1 Pitt and 5-0 Duke when the next day they could be watching the Steelers and the Ravens in a battle for first place in the AFC North. Now try selling those seats when Pitt is 2-3 and Duke is 3-2.

So how do you do it? How does a program like Pitt get the locals excited to watch the B team? You make your program competitive and you play games against teams our notoriously fickle fans know and respect.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for playing Clemson and Florida State more frequently provided it does not come at the expense of playing Virginia Tech and Miami every year. However, in most of the scenarios I've seen floated, we always end up with the loose ends nobody else wants while everyone else gets taken care of.

No, thank you. That will not work here and would actually be a worse deal for us than the old Big East. We have a better deal now. We now play two of the three Big East teams people here cared about playing: VT and the U. We are in a division with Virginia, which is closer to us geographically than is Syracuse, for example, and it is FAR closer than Boston College.

Georgia Tech looks like our southern doppelganger on a host of levels and we could easily develop a legitimate rivalry with them. How are we going to do that by playing those teams less frequently and the likes of NC State, Wake Forest, etc., more often?

The games our fans care about are Penn State, Notre Dame and West Virginia. For various reasons - some as a result of our ACC membership and others for different reasons - those games are no longer annual affairs. That means we need to cultivate meaningful games with opponents our pro-centric fans know and respect. That immediately eliminates about half of the ACC - including Boston College and Syracuse, with whom ACC folks always want to slap us in there.

I'm sorry but unless we can be guaranteed that two of our three annual rivals will be Miami and Virginia Tech, or that Notre Dame is always on our schedule, the answer out of Pittsburgh will always range somewhere from no to hell no. We have to sell tickets and that formula works directly against our interests in that regard.

Last edited:
The thing is, the only cross-over games you really need in the current format are Miami/FSU, UNC/NCSU, and Clem/GT. Just keep those ones. Pitt/Syr, BC/VT, Duke/Wake, and Lou/UVa are not big rivalries and certainly don't need to be protected.
Right, but you can't have permanent crossovers for some teams and not for all. Either everybody has permanent crossovers or nobody does.

The answer is the 3 + 5. Every team gets three annual rivalries and playes the other 10 teams every other year. Its clean and keeps the important rivalries in-tact. Most importantly is that it creates a much better TV viewing for leverage in trying to get the ACC Network.

It doesn't create better TV viewing. If you want better TV viewing, then you need divisions, which is why the ACC isn't getting rid of them.

Actually, you can. The Big Ten already does it.
Let me amend that, then: you shouldn't have permanent crossovers for some teams and not for others. Every one should follow the same scheduling matrix. And I say that as someone who really doesn't want to go to Syracuse every other year.

Let me amend that, then: you shouldn't have permanent crossovers for some teams and not for others. Every one should follow the same scheduling matrix. And I say that as someone who really doesn't want to go to Syracuse every other year.

Yes, you should. It's not a problem. It doesn't give anyone an advantage. It's a win-win for everyone. Teams that want to maintain a rivalry can do so. Other teams that want to play more often can do so. It avoids problem of gerrymandering the divisions. It's a simple solution.

Because we don't need variety, we need rivals.

Look, we are a minor league team competing in a major league market. That's tough sledding to attract fans in that climate no matter how successful you are on the field. Ask Miami. Ask Boston College. Ask Georgia Tech. It's not easy. In fact, it's damn hard.

People here just look at pro football as being inherently superior to college football - and they're right. It's tough to get a local in a pro market geared up for a big game between 4-1 Pitt and 5-0 Duke when the next day they could be watching the Steelers and the Ravens in a battle for first place in the AFC North. Now try selling those seats when Pitt is 2-3 and Duke is 3-2.

So how do you do it? How does a program like Pitt get the locals excited to watch the B team? You make your program competitive and you play games against teams our notoriously fickle fans know and respect.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for playing Clemson and Florida State more frequently provided it does not come at the expense of playing Virginia Tech and Miami every year. However, in most of the scenarios I've seen floated, we always end up with the loose ends nobody else wants while everyone else gets taken care of.

No, thank you. That will not work here and would actually be a worse deal for us than the old Big East. We have a better deal now. We now play two of the three Big East teams people here cared about playing: VT and the U. We are in a division with Virginia, which is closer to us geographically than is Syracuse, for example, and it is FAR closer than Boston College.

Georgia Tech looks like our southern doppelganger on a host of levels and we could easily develop a legitimate rivalry with them. How are we going to do that by playing those teams less frequently and the likes of NC State, Wake Forest, etc., more often?

The games our fans care about are Penn State, Notre Dame and West Virginia. For various reasons - some as a result of our ACC membership and others for different reasons - those games are no longer annual affairs. That means we need to cultivate meaningful games with opponents our pro-centric fans know and respect. That immediately eliminates about half of the ACC - including Boston College and Syracuse, with whom ACC folks always want to slap us in there.

I'm sorry but unless we can be guaranteed that two of our three annual rivals will be Miami and Virginia Tech, or that Notre Dame is always on our schedule, the answer out of Pittsburgh will always range somewhere from no to hell no. We have to sell tickets and that formula works directly against our interests in that regard.

That was a whole lot of nothing... So you are saying no to what exactly? The 3 rival plus 5 rotating? Then that means you prefer what you have now? And if every school would just demand the schools they want as the three rivals then no one would play cuse or Wake.. someone has to. Not saying its Pitt... it would not make sense. As for the OOC schedule well that has nothing to do with the ACC... so dont trash a 3+5 plan because there is a chance you would not play PSU or WVU every year..The only tie to the ACC schedule is that the ACC kept it at 8 games.. freeing teams to schedule better OOC.

It doesn't create better TV viewing. If you want better TV viewing, then you need divisions, which is why the ACC isn't getting rid of them.
Yes because FSU playing Wake/Cuse/and BC every year drives massive ratings all while there are great game that are never played.. FSU vs VT, VT vs Clemson, Miami vs Clemson, ..on and on. these games never happen yet FSU vs Wake is EVERY YEAR..

Yes because FSU playing Wake/Cuse/and BC every year drives massive ratings all while there are great game that are never played.. FSU vs VT, VT vs Clemson, Miami vs Clemson, ..on and on. these games never happen yet FSU vs Wake is EVERY YEAR..

That's not how you get TV ratings. What drives TV ratings are games of significance. Teams that aren't in the conference title race aren't playing games of significance. The whole point of splitting up into divisions is that more teams in the title race means higher-rated games.

Having Florida St play Virginia Tech more isn't worth it, because then the only game Virginia Tech plays that's meaningful is the Florida St game. After that game, Virginia Tech is no longer in the title race. However, with divisions, they still have other games that matter (Georgia Tech, Miami, Duke, for example).

3+5 means you only have 2 or 3 teams in the title race, so the other teams are out of it after the first few weeks. It's not worth it to boost up a handful of games (like Florida St/Virginia Tech or Miami/Clemson), only to make the majority of the games (Georgia Tech/Duke, Miami/Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech/Virginia Tech, Miami/Duke, Georgia Tech Miami...) essentially meaningless.

Yes, you should. It's not a problem. It doesn't give anyone an advantage. It's a win-win for everyone. Teams that want to maintain a rivalry can do so. Other teams that want to play more often can do so. It avoids problem of gerrymandering the divisions. It's a simple solution.

You understand that with a cross over "rival" that you have ONE rotating game a year with the other six teams. Kids can red-shirt, play through their senior year and never play teams in their conference.. home or away. Its foolish, everyone knows this. You may be the only ACC fan that thinks as-is is a good solution.

I'm leaning more to restacking the divisions so that no perm crossovers are needed. It may create a super division but I'm not sure that is really a negative anyway. And if there's no way to include all dealbreaker rivalry games, someone can keep one as a crossover, like pur-ind. It keeps divisions, gives real head to head div champs, keeps the rivalry games, lets acc stay at 8 games(+ND), and rotates the whole conference every few years. And doesn't need ncaa to do anything.

I compare this acc schedule to interleague play in MLB. It really benefits a very few for the detriment of the majority.. Interleague play is nothing more than an excuse for the mets/yanks, white sox/cubs, and dodgers/Angels to play. While 80% of the league really could care less. Same for the ACC.

I'm leaning more to restacking the divisions so that no perm crossovers are needed. It may create a super division but I'm not sure that is really a negative anyway. And if there's no way to include all dealbreaker rivalry games, someone can keep one as a crossover, like pur-ind. It keeps divisions, gives real head to head div champs, keeps the rivalry games, lets acc stay at 8 games(+ND), and rotates the whole conference every few years. And doesn't need ncaa to do anything.

Take a stab at the alignment. It can get a bit tricky.

That was a whole lot of nothing... So you are saying no to what exactly? The 3 rival plus 5 rotating? Then that means you prefer what you have now? And if every school would just demand the schools they want as the three rivals then no one would play cuse or Wake.. someone has to. Not saying its Pitt... it would not make sense. As for the OOC schedule well that has nothing to do with the ACC... so dont trash a 3+5 plan because there is a chance you would not play PSU or WVU every year..The only tie to the ACC schedule is that the ACC kept it at 8 games.. freeing teams to schedule better OOC.

Oh, I big to differ. I said a lot in that post, just nothing that you wanted to confront.

Here, let me distill it further. Any plan that takes Virginia Tech and Miami off the annual schedule and replaces them with Boston College and Syracuse - because "someone has to play those teams and it is not going to be Florida State," right? - is an inferior plan to what we have now. Therefore, the University of Pittsburgh would vote against it.

Is that simple enough for you?

If I were to see a 5+3 plan that made Pitt's schedule more attractive of course I would be inclined to endorse it.

However, every time I have actually seen this plan sketched out, we are one of the schools that pays the freight while Florida State, Clemson, etc., enjoy nothing but A and B games on their schedule.

We are always left with the "other loose end schools" and the attitude is almost always, "Deal with it, Yankee. You are lucky to be here in the first place so shut your mouth and mind your manners."

That is not going to work for us. We did not join this league to become your lackeys and we do not feel lucky just to be in your presence.

If someone can show me a schedule that includes Virginia Tech and Miami on Pittsburgh's annual schedule, I am all for it. However, let's be real and acknowledge that our annual schedule would probably look more like Boston College, Syracuse and Wake Forest because who the hell are we to demand anything more attractive than that?

Sorry, but the answer remains no.

I stopped reading that acc conference talk forum ...lol. Last week some dope from NC State said we were about a permanent #9 ranking. If it were an FSU or Miami poster I might just chuckle. But NC State? That league is filled with poor football traditions.

I'll take the status quo for the near term.

Right, but you can't have permanent crossovers for some teams and not for all. Either everybody has permanent crossovers or nobody does.
Says who? The Big Ten only has 1 permanent cross-over game (IU-Purdue). Why can't the ACC only have 3 (FSU-Miami, UNC/NCSU, Clem/GT)? Nobody is going to shed a tear if BC/VT and Lou/UVa go away.

You understand that with a cross over "rival" that you have ONE rotating game a year with the other six teams. Kids can red-shirt, play through their senior year and never play teams in their conference.. home or away. Its foolish, everyone knows this. You may be the only ACC fan that thinks as-is is a good solution.

Yep, I understand that perfectly. You don't understand that I never said it was a "good" situation.

What I actually said was that the benefits of playing some other teams more frequently does no outweigh the disadvantages, such as removing the divisions, playing fewer OOC games, etc.

When you take everything into account, the alternatives proposed offer more problems than solutions.

Reactions: Dr. von Yinzer
I may be missing something, but I fail to understand how seven teams competing for a division title (and a birth in the conference championship game) is more appealing to television audiences than fourteen teams competing for two championship game births. (Last year I believe - not sure though - that GT, CU, UL and Duke all would have been in contention for the second title game birth until the next to the last regular season game.)

Regardless, I agree that a 3-5 scheduling model likely doesn't give enough of what every school needs (let alone wants). Perhaps a 4-4 or 5-3 model, which still allows all schools to play each other at least once within three years, is a better option? Off the top of my head, perhaps something like the below might begin to entail the compromises necessary to ensure every school gets what it most wants:

Four Annual Games (Potential fifth annual game in parentheses)
BC: UM, SU, Pitt, UL, (CU).
SU: GT, BC, Pitt, UL, (UM).
Pitt: UM, VPI, SU, BC, (UVA).
UL: FSU, CU, SU, BC, (NCSU).
UVA: VPI, UNC, Duke, Wake, (Pitt).
VPI: UVA, UM, Wake, Pitt, (GT).
Wake: UNC, NCSU, VPI, UVA, (Duke).
Duke: UNC, UVA, NCSU, GT, (Wake).
UNC: NCSU, UVA, Duke, Wake, (FSU).
NCSU: UNC, Duke, Wake, CU, (UL).
CU: FSU, GT, NCSU, UL, (BC).
GT: FSU, CU, Duke, SU, (VPI).
FSU: UM, GT, CU, UL, (UNC).
UM: FSU, VPI, Pitt, BC, (SU).

I may be missing something, but I fail to understand how seven teams competing for a division title (and a birth in the conference championship game) is more appealing to television audiences than fourteen teams competing for two championship game births. (Last year I believe - not sure though - that GT, CU, UL and Duke all would have been in contention for the second title game birth until the next to the last regular season game.)

Regardless, I agree that a 3-5 scheduling model likely doesn't give enough of what every school needs (let alone wants). Perhaps a 4-4 or 5-3 model, which still allows all schools to play each other at least once within three years, is a better option? Off the top of my head, perhaps something like the below might begin to entail the compromises necessary to ensure every school gets what it most wants:

Four Annual Games (Potential fifth annual game in parentheses)
BC: UM, SU, Pitt, UL, (CU).
SU: GT, BC, Pitt, UL, (UM).
Pitt: UM, VPI, SU, BC, (UVA).
UL: FSU, CU, SU, BC, (NCSU).
UVA: VPI, UNC, Duke, Wake, (Pitt).
VPI: UVA, UM, Wake, Pitt, (GT).
Wake: UNC, NCSU, VPI, UVA, (Duke).
Duke: UNC, UVA, NCSU, GT, (Wake).
UNC: NCSU, UVA, Duke, Wake, (FSU).
NCSU: UNC, Duke, Wake, CU, (UL).
CU: FSU, GT, NCSU, UL, (BC).
GT: FSU, CU, Duke, SU, (VPI).
FSU: UM, GT, CU, UL, (UNC).
UM: FSU, VPI, Pitt, BC, (SU).

Because more teams have a chance to make it to the championship game if they are only competing with 6 other teams for the spot, as opposed to 13.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT