ADVERTISEMENT

Additional UVA thoughts:

LaRocka2012

Scholarship
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2022
1.) Wow that was an impressive win on multiple fronts - The first point I want to make and give a huge S/O to is Jeff Capel. He did an outstanding job from the opening tip until the final buzzer in this one.
A.) He had his team ready to play - the guys gave great effort all night and were never discouraged by UVA runs
B.) This was his most impressive coaching game to date because of how connected the guys played all night. They ran efficient offensive sets that resulted in open looks, they rebounded the ball tremendously well and they remained poised and in control. HUGE game for Capel and this program in general - he deserves some heat when they lose of course, but he also deserves great praise for his team last night.

2.) Big game Blake. He's at his best when the stakes are ramped up and the stage is the brightest... he's shown that time and time again in his career. He missed some open threes and wasn't perfect, but he was locked in all night and I truly believe that's because of the moment.

3.) Do not overlook the value that Fede and GDG have been slowly given this team during their win streak... They don't ask either to do anything but what they did last night. Don't turn the ball over, rebound, make good decisions with the ball. They are starting to really understand the role and they are becoming a decent 1 -2 punch in rotation. GDG's ability to step out and hit three's on PNR action is very valuable to free out space for the young talented guards Pitt has.

4.) My biggest takeaway from last night's game is truly that I'm still realistic that the NCAA Tournament is probably still a bit of a long shot.. can they do it? Yes. BUT the very clear and obvious excitement for myself is that the future of the program in general is starting to have the kind of uptick in success that Capel envisioned since he got here. Stacking 20 + win season can't be overlooked if this team fails to make the tournament. I understand the frustration with the metrics and the way Pitt is viewed nationally but just from a local perspective it's much more important to me to be playing these big games in February for the program in general...

Brick by Brick.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News