ADVERTISEMENT

All of Sean Miller's quotes related to Pitt

JimHammett

All P I T T !
Staff
Dec 4, 2012
Sean, what have you noticed from Pitt throughout the season and in the last couple of tournament games, and what overall in your playing career have you learned that you have taken now to your coaching career from being at Pitt?

Miller
: Well, first question is, I think Jeff Capel has done an incredible job. Anybody that took over at the time that he took over and went through the pandemic and also had to rebuild, you know, there are things that happened during that period of time that I don't think has ever happened in maybe the history of college basketball. Just to see him go from a year ago to this year's team, they're very, very good. I know, heck, I've followed them late in the year. They almost won the ACC regular season championship, so we know we're playing a tough team. I think their skill level really jumps out for me. When they win, they make threes. As a matter of fact, they make more than ten per game, and I think that when they don't make threes, not that they won't win, but they're not on their game. I think those threes are going down. You know, you have so many different players that can shoot them. I think Hinson, the way they utilize him, he is really an X factor because you have to guard him with a forward, and he is such an elite shooter, and he can really get going. Their shooting really stands out for me. I also think in this tournament they've played some excellent defense and played with great effort. My playing career there's a lot of lessons that I have, you know, as it applies to this tournament. It's a brand-new season, and it ends quickly, and I learned that in college. Unfortunately, in a heartbreaking way.

Just emotionally, you probably assumed at some point in your career you might have a situation like this, but to face Pitt in the NCAA Tournament.

Miller
: Yeah, it's actually the second time. When I was at Xavier the first time -- I guess we're going to go back maybe 14 years ago -- Jamie Dixon was the coach. We happened to catch them in the Sweet 16 in Boston. They were a 1 seed, and they had a chance to win the national championship. DeJuan Blair was on that team, Sam Young, Levance Fields, and Levance hit a big shot at the end. They beat us.
So this is the second time, and I'm much older. You know, I would say that you would pick any team in this round, and as much as I love Pittsburgh, and my wife and I both attended Pitt, have some of the people that I love the most in life live in that city, but tomorrow, you know, it's about winning the game and getting to the Sweet 16. Although I have a soft spot for them, and I'm sure it's no different on their end, you know, when you get to this round, the prize is so significant for your team and your university that that's really my focus.

In kind of continuing on that theme here, this past year Pitt celebrated the 35th Anniversary of Jerome Lane's send-it-in dunk. You obviously assisted on that play. What is it like to kind of be associated and tied in with such a significant play that not just in Pitt history, but also in college basketball history when you think about it and reflect on it?

Miller
: Yeah, you know, I make this statement once in a while, and I don't know if anybody pays attention, but I think that dunk, that play makes a strong case for the greatest dunk in college basketball history. It was on Big Monday, I believe, in front of the nation. I think the only negative about the play and to be associated with it for so long is sometimes I don't think that people really take into consideration the great player that Jerome Lane was. It almost is as if he made that one play, but he led the nation in rebounding, was an All-American, an NBA player. Just an incredible player too. He was inducted into Pitt's Hall of Fame this fall. I was really grateful that I could attend. Saw him and a lot of teammates. It was great to be there. Yeah, for sure. The one thing when you are a part of that play, no one can ever accuse you of not playing. Every February you remind them that you at least could dribble and pass.

Coach, I don't know if you shared this with us. Is there ever a point in your career where you were close to going back to Pitt as head coach?

Miller
: No, not really. It never worked out. You know, I think for me that's all the better because in some ways I want my memories of Pitt to be when I was there as a student, as player. Some of the greatest years of my life, playing in the Big East Conference, you know, meeting people like Curtis Aiken, who does the radio for Pitt, who took me under their wing, treated me like I was a younger brother. And I really learned a lot on and off the court through my experience at Pitt. As much off the court as on the court. And it's a big reason why I wanted to go into coaching, to be around that. Those are some great times. Those are my memories, that and family and friends. I think it's simpler that way.

Reactions: DayOnePittPanthers
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News