ADVERTISEMENT

An example where the 8/9 line is better than being the 10 or 11.

UPitt '89

Board of Trustee
Gold Member
Mar 14, 2002
Let me preface this by pointing out that... yes, in most years it is better to be in the 7/10 or 6/11 game than the 8/9 game. This is not one of those years.

In a couple of mock brackets, I have seen a region where the seeds are:

1 Purdue
2 Baylor
3 Tennessee

In a bracket like that, Pitt should DEFINITELY want to be the 8/9 instead of the 7/10 or 6/11.

Why? Because Baylor has the absolute best set of starting guards in the country. The worst possible matchup for Pitt.
And Tennessee has one of the... if not THE ... best defenses in the country.
Purdue would be the most favorable matchup for Pitt of those 3. Yes, Edey would get 25/15/5 against us. But their guards are pedestrian. They wouldn't be able to stop our perimeter offense.

We'd be big underdogs against all 3.... but Baylor is definitely the one we would want to avoid the most.

These are the likely 1 and 2 seeds at this moment:
Purdue, Alabama, Houston, Kansas, Baylor, Texas, UCLA, Arizona.

All of them would be very tough games, and there is no real advantage in facing the 2s from that group vs the 1s. So go for the easier 1st-round game so you get the opportunity. 7s and 6s are tougher than 8s and 9s.

Let me preface this by pointing out that... yes, in most years it is better to be in the 7/10 or 6/11 game than the 8/9 game. This is not one of those years.

1 Purdue
2 Baylor
3 Tennessee

In a bracket like that, Pitt should DEFINITELY want to be the 8/9 instead of the 7/10 or 6/11.

Why? Because Baylor has the absolute best set of starting guards in the country. The worst possible matchup for Pitt.
Purdue would be the most favorable matchup for Pitt of those 3. Yes, Edey would get 25/15/5 against us. But their guards are pedestrian. They wouldn't be able to stop our perimeter offense.

We'd be big underdogs against all 3.... but Baylor is definitely the one we would want to avoid the most.

All of them would be very tough games, and there is no real advantage in facing the 2s from that group vs the 1s. So go for the easier 1st-round game so you get the opportunity. 7s and 6s are tougher than 8s and 9s.
That's just one example. I'd still rather not be an 8/9 seed.

That's just one example. I'd still rather not be an 8/9 seed.
I don't know, maybe it's because we have been out of the tournament for so long, but I can remember getting so worked up about Pitt's seeding and whether we had favorable matchups in later round games etc., and we always ended in disappointment no matter what. I almost do not care what seed anymore, make us a 16 for all I care. Keep disrespecting us so we can play the underdog. The bottom line is that if we are going to go far in the tournament, we're going to have to beat good teams. I don't care if we face them in round 1 or round 2 or wherever.

1 Purdue
2 Baylor
3 Tennessee

Again, I don’t really agree. Kansas and Houston, to me, are pretty clearly superior to those other teams. Kansas and Houston are 100% making the Sweet 16. So, I want zero part of them, and they are both going to be one seeds.

For as wide open as this year is, I would probably pick a FF of Houston, Kansas, Bama, and Baylor. 1-1-1-2

Again, I don’t really agree. Kansas and Houston, to me, are pretty clearly superior to those other teams. Kansas and Houston are 100% making the Sweet 16. So, I want zero part of them, and they are both going to be one seeds.

For as wide open as this year is, I would probably pick a FF of Houston, Kansas, Bama, and Baylor. 1-1-1-2
Yeah. I don't think Purdue gets out of the round of 32.

Well, a lot will depend on WHICH 1-seed we'd be paired against. Purdue and/or UCLA, I'm ecstatic.

Well, a lot will depend on WHICH 1-seed we'd be paired against. Purdue and/or UCLA, I'm ecstatic.
UCLA in Sacramento is a tough out. If it’s Purdue or Bama we have a fighting chance.

I’d rank those teams in order I’d least like to play them:

1) Houston
2) Kansas
3) Bama
4) Baylor
5) UCLA
6) Arizona
7) purdue
8) Texas

UCLA in Sacramento is a tough out. If it’s Purdue or Bama we have a fighting chance.

1) Houston
2) Kansas
3) Bama
4) Baylor
5) UCLA
6) Arizona
7) purdue
8) Texas
Baylor is the toughest for us.

1) Houston
2) Kansas
3) Bama
4) Baylor
5) UCLA
6) Arizona
7) purdue
8) Texas
I'd rank them:

1. Kansas
2. Baylor
3. Houston
4. Bama
5. Texas
6. Arizona
7. Purdue
8. UCLA

I want to avoid any big 12 teams or Kentucky (when you have recruits, sometimes it can just click) like last years UNC.

Baylor is the toughest for us.
Why? I don’t totally buy that. I know it’s been said on here, but I’ve seen enough Big 12 to like Kansas a lot better. And it’s more than just matchups. It’s who can lose early. I really don’t think Kansas will.

Baylor can absolutely lose a 2nd rd game.

There is absolutely no chance the Houston team, which is like a mix of a 2002-2004 Pitt team, mixed with even more crazy athleticism and toughness, loses a 2nd rd game to us. We’d score like 60 points and get super frustrated. Houston is not losing before the Final Four, no matter who they draw - I really believe that

Why? I don’t totally buy that. I know it’s been said on here, but I’ve seen enough Big 12 to like Kansas a lot better. And it’s more than just matchups. It’s who can lose early. I really don’t think Kansas will.

Baylor can absolutely lose a 2nd rd game.

There is absolutely no chance the Houston team, which is like a mix of a 2002-2004 Pitt team, mixed with even more crazy athleticism and toughness, loses a 2nd rd game to us. We’d score like 60 points and get super frustrated. Houston is not losing before the Final Four, no matter who they draw - I really believe that
Guard play is what succeeds in the NCAA tournament. And Baylor has the best 3 guard combo in America, and it isn't close.

All three of their starting guards could potentially be 1st team Big 12.

Guard play is what succeeds in the NCAA tournament. And Baylor has the best 3 guard combo in America, and it isn't close.

All three of their starting guards could potentially be 1st team Big 12.
No question there. But Houston is a better team IMO - and Sasser and Shead are really good too.

Houston getting to the Elite 8 last year is what I want. With largely the same roster. They got close. They know what to do. And Sampson is a fabulous coach.

It’s not like I don’t like Baylor. I have them going to the FF. But I would take Kansas or Houston ahead of them, more complete teams IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT