ADVERTISEMENT

Andonovski resigns

All those 2015-19 players did was complain about Jill Ellis. She doesn’t look so bad now.
Yeah adonovsky was known as a people person and players coach. How’d that work out when the atmosphere became like a country club in training sessions and he appeased in game the strongest personality in the room by giving her undeserving playing time?

Still though for me, bringing Alex Morgan as the only true #9 on the roster was the biggest reason they lost. Your #9 has to be clinical and she just isn’t and wasn’t. But that could also be a US Soccer issue too. When you’re the largest youth sports organization in the entire world in any sport, and you can only produce a 36 year old Alex Morgan for a World Cup, that’s a problem.

But they also played essentially the whole tourney without Lavelle who was the best line breaking midfielder on the World Cup roster.

And of course the players on the shelf with injuries who weren’t even rostered has been well discussed in this forum.

Yeah adonovsky was known as a people person and players coach. How’d that work out when the atmosphere became like a country club in training sessions and he appeased in game the strongest personality in the room by giving her undeserving playing time?

Still though for me, bringing Alex Morgan as the only true #9 on the roster was the biggest reason they lost. Your #9 has to be clinical and she just isn’t and wasn’t. But that could also be a US Soccer issue too. When you’re the largest youth sports organization in the entire world in any sport, and you can only produce a 36 year old Alex Morgan for a World Cup, that’s a problem.

But they also played essentially the whole tourney without Lavelle who was the best line breaking midfielder on the World Cup roster.

And of course the players on the shelf with injuries who weren’t even rostered has been well discussed in this forum.
How many from this roster do you think will be on the next World Cup roster for 2027??

How many from this roster do you think will be on the next World Cup roster for 2027??
Hmmm. I’d have to look at it. But over half for sure. And the problem wasn’t the roster as a whole. The problem was the coach and a few roster decisions he made, and then the players who were injured. IMO

Reactions: zookeeper2000
Hmmm. I’d have to look at it. But over half for sure. And the problem wasn’t the roster as a whole. The problem was the coach and a few roster decisions he made, and then the players who were injured. IMO
Well that's just it. I defended Rapinoe, saying it really wasn't her fault. It was the coach putting her in such a crucial time in a crucial game after seeing just how the game has passed her by the opening round of games. Yet he trots her out. And she crapped the bed, because she just was no longer capable of delivering key services, she can't run and she can't strike.

Well that's just it. I defended Rapinoe, saying it really wasn't her fault. It was the coach putting her in such a crucial time in a crucial game after seeing just how the game has passed her by the opening round of games. Yet he trots her out. And she crapped the bed, because she just was no longer capable of delivering key services, she can't run and she can't strike.
That was one reason but there were bigger reasons IMO. That’s just easy to scapegoat because she is unlikable and her eroded talents were on full display. But more importantly, we weren’t prepared and able to build leads in the first 60-70 minutes of the game before she even got into games. And that lies with the other reasons stated in this thread.

I asked a similar question earlier: whom do we blame? The player...or the coach who subbed her into the game?

I thought that Rapinoe didn't play like her former self in any of her prior '23 WC appearances; using her in the "must" game was a bad, bad move.

But going by Carli Lloyd's most recent comments, there have been multiple issues affecting the team beyond the injuries that they dealt with - or Andonovski's coaching decisions. It's been said (not specifically by Lloyd) that too many players have been too involved in their off-the-pitch activities, and it affected what they were doing on-the-pitch.

And who can deny that a lot of the world's women's teams have gotten better, but the US team hasn't. The US won their gold medals before women's soccer improved in the other parts of the world.

As what's happened with men's basketball, it was just a matter of time before more and more European athletes, with the right training and dedication, would be able to compete with the Americans.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT