ADVERTISEMENT

Andrew Fillipponi just said something shocking for me on the Cochran Sports Showdown about Pat Narduzzi!

PittPoker

Board of Trustee
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2008
The panelists before him Will Graves and Josh Yohe were bashing Pitt's defense and Yohe said that Narduzzi is supposed to be some defensive guru but it's pretty clear he is not.

Then Poni says that according to his sources, Narduzzi gives Randy Bates complete autonomy on all the defensive playcalling. He also said you would figure after the Western Michigan game he would have demanded more input and since defense is his specialty. But instead he just lets Bates completely run the show.

I am shocked by that and honestly it's pretty ridiculous if true(which I don't doubt Poni is telling the truth). Obviously we have lots of issues on schemes and coverage and defending easy bubble screens and tackling. So you mean to tell me Narduzzi doesn't get involved with the defense at all? That definitely makes me look at Randy Bates with a lot more cynicism because if he has no interference at all from Narduzzi he has been a major disappointment as a DC. But then also what does that say further about Narduzzi as a head coach? Defense is supposed to be his specialty, the unit was struggling yesterday, struggled against WMU why doesn't he take over at times and get involved?

Don't you as a head coach if 1 part of your team is struggling have to help make things better? Hearing that from Poni makes me even more confident Narduzzi is in over his head as a head coach and that Randy Bates is a terrible defensive coordinator.

Reactions: rockypanther
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News