ADVERTISEMENT

Apathy vs Disappointment

Dec 20, 2019
Which do you think is worse. I feel apathetic given how much lower Pitt has performed based on expectations. Anyone else finding it hard to give a crap about the game this week?

This is shaping up to be a year where everything goes wrong...

And then another #2 ranked team (FSU) comes in and Pitt finds a way to knock them off

Which do you think is worse. I feel apathetic given how much lower Pitt has performed based on expectations. Anyone else finding it hard to give a crap about the game this week?
Doesn’t disappointment come first, but when you’re a fan and continually get disappointed over a few years, eventually the apathy can set in and you don’t care anymore. You gradually change from diehard to casual fan to …….

A few losses are one thing, many teams will have that … but it’s the longer term things around the losses. The conference crap, our sinking recruiting, terrible QB (and an ahole on top of it), no playmakers, bad OC (plus our knowledge at hiring that he WAS bad) no willingness of the HC to change the offensive philosophy, etc etc.

We had a rare and brief opportunity at the end of 2021 and blew it.

This is shaping up to be a year where everything goes wrong...

And then another #2 ranked team (FSU) comes in and Pitt finds a way to knock them off

In the season prediction thread, I posted 3-4 record going into ND, pitchforks are out, but then Jurkovec turns it up against his old team and leads Pitt to 5 straight wins to finish 8-4.

Although more realistically now I see maybe 4-7 heading into Duke game, who will have a good record like 9-2. Narduzzi will continue to have Dukes number and win in an upset, thus avoiding the season with less than 5 wins (similar to 2017 or even 2007).

Reactions: Jersey Al64
In the season prediction thread, I posted 3-4 record going into ND, pitchforks are out, but then Jurkovec turns it up against his old team and leads Pitt to 5 straight wins to finish 8-4.

Although more realistically now I see maybe 4-7 heading into Duke game, who will have a good record like 9-2. Narduzzi will continue to have Dukes number and win in an upset, thus avoiding the season with less than 5 wins (similar to 2017 or even 2007).
From ACC Champs in 2021 to being happy we avoided winning fewer than 4 games just 2 years later. Unreal.

Apathy because they did this to themselves. They don't give themselves a chance to win each week.

Apathy because they did this to themselves. They don't give themselves a chance to win each week.

That’s the thing. All of this was deliberately chosen, and it was easy to see coming.

I said all summer if PJ was even average, we’d be lucky this season.

I deliberately didn’t post in the season record prediction thread, because I thought the combo of a horrible QB and horrible OC was going to be a disaster, and I didn’t want to be bring down the party.

But it’s not like the OC retired and FCJ had to step in. And the actual starting QB got hurt.

These were hand picked choices. Purposely selected roads to travel down.

Adding to feeling sorry / b1tch and moan items: it just figures that this is a season when we finally have so many games in high profile start times, and the team is awful. After so many years of decent teams yet mostly all 12noon starts. SMH

I really have no interest in the game this week. I am going fishing Sunday and I don't even know gametime or what channel it is on because I really don't care that much. I hope they win, but I'm not missing the first day of fishing season to watch this.
I kind of hope that Narduzzi does go to MSU. His act has worn pretty stale with me. Bullshit depth charts, blowing more bullshit up our arses with the press conferences. He's wasting our time following this.

pretty much gave up on the season and really doubt i'll watch the whole thing. and this is from a guy who planned his weekend around pitt games.

i'll watch it for sure, first quarter but if it goes as we all expect it too, more than likely wont be watching second half with maybe checking the score now and then..

waited all off season too and it's not even october and the season is pretty much a dud.

I am mostly apathetic. I love being a Pitt man and show the colors but also know that loyalty brings tremendous self induced pain. When I read the Clemson rumor I went to a different place and said to myself I wouldn’t even care if we dropped to FCS at some point because I am so tired of the way the school has managed athletics over the years.

As alumni we mostly don’t contribute. Why is that? Ya gotta put that mindset into your students while they are still at school and Pitt never ever does that.

Anyway, yes I am apathetic.

Apathy for me, definitely. I’ve been disappointed in Pitt teams before, but this one I simply don’t care about. Zero intrigue factor or excitement. I’ll watch the game on Saturday like I always do, but meh. I grew up in Maryland so I’m much more into my Orioles at the moment.

Apathy set in for me during the Brawl. I could not believe the crap I was watching.

For the first time in over 40 years, I missed a home game (NC) because I knew it would be a shit show. Made it to within 50 yards of the gate, considered the weather and turned around. All it cost me was subway fare.

I am disturbed by how easy my decision was. I expect to attend the last three here. But the looming question is, what about 2024? I want to see WVU, but Narduzzi’s inability to sustain a winning baseline combined with the annual 2-3 inexplicable losses to teams at Pitts level or worse

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
There needs to be some serious steps forward, especially defensively, for there to be any hope for 2024. The offense ain’t changing much, so the D has to get way better.

There needs to be some serious steps forward, especially defensively, for there to be any hope for 2024. The offense ain’t changing much, so the D has to get way better.
Then there's NO HOPE IN 2024, this offense is too weak and impotent, doesn't Narduzzi see that he went 11-3 and won the ACC Championship because Kenny threw 4 TD passes every week.

The defence and special teams need to score 21 points each week, as the offense isn't going to score much.
We've blocked several punts and the offense can't do anything with it. Should just punt on first down and hope for a defensive or special teams score.

Then there's NO HOPE IN 2024, this offense is too weak and impotent, doesn't Narduzzi see that he went 11-3 and won the ACC Championship because Kenny threw 4 TD passes every week.
Agree with you here. What is troubling me is our head coach seems more interested in an offense that compliments his defense by using ball control to limit the time the defense is on the field, but It's not the 70's or 80's and we don't have 5 star lineman. We can't keep up with high powered offenses so even really good defensive performances won't be enough. Hell Alabama and Georgia can't even play offense like that and their talent level is far superior. Additionally, kids want to play in an exciting offense. Opposing coaches are using this against us in recruiting.

Reactions: Pitt79
I am mostly apathetic. I love being a Pitt man and show the colors but also know that loyalty brings tremendous self induced pain. When I read the Clemson rumor I went to a different place and said to myself I wouldn’t even care if we dropped to FCS at some point because I am so tired of the way the school has managed athletics over the years.

As alumni we mostly don’t contribute. Why is that? Ya gotta put that mindset into your students while they are still at school and Pitt never ever does that.

Anyway, yes I am apathetic.
This runs completely in contrast to the last 5 years of student turnout (which has always been better than general population) in both the Panther PITT and the Zoo

Sometimes I wonder what games people are watching.

If anything student turnout blows away what I saw as a PITT student. Which actually should bode well for the future

Reactions: ThePanthers
This runs completely in contrast to the last 5 years of student turnout (which has always been better than general population) in both the Panther PITT and the Zoo

Sometimes I wonder what games people are watching.

If anything student turnout blows away what I saw as a PITT student. Which actually should bode well for the future
Student turnout has nothing to do with donations.

When discussing the future it does
Only time will tell that. Hopefully it does but I can tell you I graduated in 1984 and never felt compelled to donate because I literally felt that I was on my own navigating my way through Pitt and half the time fighting through their roadblocks. I wasn’t looking for them to hold my hands but damn don’t put up roadblocks.

Only time will tell that. Hopefully it does but I can tell you I graduated in 1984 and never felt compelled to donate because I literally felt that I was on my own navigating my way through Pitt and half the time fighting through their roadblocks. I wasn’t looking for them to hold my hands but damn don’t put up roadblocks.
The point is alumni tend to donate based on the college experience and game day they remember from their times at school

The students of the last five years had a much better game day than most of the 90s and probably a lot of the 00s… and they’ve shown up.

Reactions: ThePanthers
I do donate, but I attended in the same time frame and have to agree. Admissions, financial office, housing, registering / ad-drop for classes, advisor process all were train wrecks. Maybe better there now, I’d hope so. But every necessary part of the process was always a struggle. My particular majors were subpar in many ways (a number of poor instructors and very difficult access to 100 level classes). I did have good experience with the internship office and with job placement service, those folks seemed to go the extra mile. And I later got my MBA at Katz and that was a good experience, both academic and administrative. A lot of frustration with most other functions as an undergrad though.

I had great experiences and friends I made at Pitt as an undergrad, which of course is the main basis of the fondness for Pitt I have, but I have always figured that if those same people and I had been at any other school I’d have similar or better experience; Pitt made you make/get the most of everything almost solely on your own.

Football and basketball games were fun but also frustrating; neither team in that period lived up to the talent they had. So those experiences are uneven in my nostalgia.

As a result I often feel some ambiguity to this day when I donate to Pitt. Awful football seasons don’t help.😉

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT