ADVERTISEMENT

At 2-10, Narduzzi is coaching for his job next season

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
2-10 would be disastrous, just disastrous. We are all but assured of 8 losses with 2 toss-ups vs Syr and BC. Its possible we lose both but we probably split them. This is Majors 2 bad. We were very lucky to get an overrated Louisville team coming off of high. Credit for beating them but if that's our only FBS win, Duzz is in deep deep trouble. You cannot competely eff up a season like he's done. Villeaux has at least shown to be semi-competent. His waiting until half the season was over to pull the worst QB in Pitt history is inexcusable.

If we go 2-10, Duzz is gone if he has another losing season next year. Guaranteed. Pitt is going to have 2 losing records in the last 16 years. Both of them on Narduzzi. A losing record next season would be 3 in 8 years.....or 3 in the last 4 seasons in which Kenny Pickett wasnt the primary starter.

Well we better hope a team with a sweeter NIL deal doesn’t take Velliuex away. A lot of this roster could leave after the season. Then what? Cut our losses now, fire Narduzzi and hire a young offensive mind. Pitt shouldn’t care his buyout is too much.

Well we better hope a team with a sweeter NIL deal doesn’t take Velliuex away. A lot of this roster could leave after the season. Then what? Cut our losses now, fire Narduzzi and hire a young offensive mind. Pitt shouldn’t care his buyout is too much.

Villeaux was a B- vs Louisville and a C or C- today. He is ok, better than Phil but he isnt that great. To me, he is a Bill Stull game manager type. If we had enough talent around him, he can go out there and not lose it for you. But our WRs suck so he can't throw them open. Plus, he cant transfer again without sitting a year.

Reactions: PittPoker
I don't think his seat will be that hot yet. We've seen Pitt programs can perform at the highest levels when the university commits the financial resources to bring in top coaches. I have no clue what his budget is, but give Narduzzi the budget to upgrade the coaching staff.

I don't think his seat will be that hot yet. We've seen Pitt programs can perform at the highest levels when the university commits the financial resources to bring in top coaches. I have no clue what his budget is, but give Narduzzi the budget to upgrade the coaching staff.

3 losing seasons in the last 4 where Kenny wasnt the guy is BAD. 2-10 + 5-7 and he's gone. Heck, even with Kenny, he accomplished very little outside of winning a weakened ACC while losing 2 really bad games.

We are not "Majors 2 bad". That was FOUR straight losing seasons in his four years, Pitt coaching staff giving up on recruiting, and having to cancel an Ohio State series because we were lost 72-0. That same year we also lost 45-0 to Miami, 55-7 to Syracuse, 60-6 to Notre Dame, and 34-0 to WVU. People were whispering about dropping to I-AA. We haven't lost a game this year by more than 17 I believe.

This is a bad team who beat a ranked Louisville team last week and lost a bizarre game in its closing moments yesterday. Narduzzi can and needs to salvage things next year. Majors gave up.

10-2 to 2-10 in 2 yrs? Christ

That sort of happened at Auburn with Gene Chizik, you saw what they did about it. Less than zero chance here. Heather will make a statement towards the end of the season that she loves Pat and will do everything she can to help make him successful.

Narduzzi is still the king of average coaches since Sherrill, so he deserves another season to turn this around. Not sure he can though

He's here for at least three more seasons. It sucks. After next season, which will be a losing season, you'll all be grateful to finish 7-5 the following season. Look how happy people were to make the tournament, as a team with no shot at doing any real damage, in basketball. 2023 and 2024 will recalibrate expectations. The mediocrity will perpetuate.

Paying to bring in top asst coaches will not solve Pitt's most pressing problem,

Which is not being able to buy the best players.

Incidentally, it seems that the purpose of extending a coach is to maintain consistency when recruiting.

But if kids bounce around and go to the highest bidder, does it make as much sense in this environment to extend someone. And if so for how long?

Reactions: singregardless
How can his seat not be hot after a 2-10 or 3-9 season 2 seasons removed from winning the ACC? It should be scalding.

That sort of happened at Auburn with Gene Chizik, you saw what they did about it. Less than zero chance here. Heather will make a statement towards the end of the season that she loves Pat and will do everything she can to help make him successful.

Narduzzi is still the king of average coaches since Sherrill, so he deserves another season to turn this around. Not sure he can though
He wont

Paying to bring in top asst coaches will not solve Pitt's most pressing problem,

Incidentally, it seems that the purpose of extending a coach is to maintain consistency when recruiting.

But if kids bounce around and go to the highest bidder, does it make as much sense in this environment to extend someone. And if so for how long?
Pitt won’t be buying the best players in any scenario so buy the best coaches to coach them up.

How can his seat not be hot after a 2-10 or 3-9 season 2 seasons removed from winning the ACC? It should be scalding.
Did you see that contract extension they gave him? They gave it to him too early and immediately after they won the ACC title they disappointed before falling off a cliff this year. Should’ve made Narduzzi prove he could sustain it. No way they pay that buyout with, what, 5-6 years left.

• Sad
Reactions: PittPoker
Heather was able to convince Gallagher to buy out Stallings.

The buyout came from the general fund, not the athletic dept.

Not to say this would happen with PN but I would guess that is a move she could make.

I would be concerned about Narduzzi going to Michigan State but it seems their number 1 target is Urban Meyer.

If they don’t get Meyer then some of you who want Narduzzi gone may get your wish

Heather was able to convince Gallagher to buy out Stallings.

The buyout came from the general fund, not the athletic dept.

Not to say this would happen with PN but I would guess that is a move she could make.

Wasn't his buyout like $10M and negotiated down on top of that? I can't imagine us paying north of $40M to buy anyone out.

What a joke. The jabronis here give no $$ to pitt . Their voice doesnt count

There are a lot of people on this board, myself included, who have given thousands of dollars to Pitt and do care. Our voices do indeed count. But if no one is listening, it doesn't matter. And it isn't just contributing to athletics.

Wasn't his buyout like $10M and negotiated down on top of that? I can't imagine us paying north of $40M to buy anyone out.
Pitt did fire him.

Then promptly went after him for “cause” to try to reduce or eliminate most of what it owed him.

Which doesn’t bother me in the least by the way. He was/is an utter slime ball and they should have gone after Barnes similarly. But that’s absolutely what happened. It was no great show of commitment on Pitt’s part. Let’s also remember the program was in total ashes and the proverbial “something drastic had to be done” was in effect. It was nothing EAGERLY done from a drive to win or even to be competent… it was like filing taxes or getting a root canal … painful but unavoidable. Which sums nicely how Pitt treats its handling of revenue sports.

(This is also why it’s comical that some here argue that Pitt can’t dare to enforce Narduzzi firing Cignetti if he refuses, “because that would give us a bad name with other coaches”. Errrr….Pitt went after Stallings with tooth and claws and it didn’t prevent continued hiring of coaches. Coaches don’t necessarily love the idea of AD involvement but they are savvy enough to know a preposterous situation when they see one. Anyway, Pitt shouldn’t even WANT to hire any coach that would have the stupidity to believe Narduzzi should have the option to retain a complete loser/poison like Cignetti. Any coach worth his salt would already have the sense to realize that Cig should be long gone; no AD should have to tell him.

3 losing seasons in the last 4 where Kenny wasnt the guy is BAD. 2-10 + 5-7 and he's gone. Heck, even with Kenny, he accomplished very little outside of winning a weakened ACC while losing 2 really bad games.

I knew the ACC was weak especially with Clemson down in 2021, but I was surprised to learn that Pitt didn't face a top-25 team that season till Wake Forest in the ACCCG.

Just last week you were posting how you would never give to Alliance412, the mechanism to "buy" players in today's game. So how to you propose to buy these players if hardcore fans like you (anyone on this site is a hard core fan) refuse to contribute?

Sigh. This gets old after the 3rd or 103rd iteration.

Narduzzi isn't on any hot seat. Nor should he be.

Just last week you were posting how you would never give to Alliance412, the mechanism to "buy" players in today's game. So how to you propose to buy these players if hardcore fans like you (anyone on this site is a hard core fan) refuse to contribute?
Great question

Its a question with no real good answer for Pitt.

Even if die hards like me pitch in, we still fall short.

It truly is major league baseball. The best free agents never become pirates. The best 4 and 5 stars will get paid elsewhere.

Great question

Its a question with no real good answer for Pitt.

Even if die hards like me pitch in, we still fall short.

It truly is major league baseball. The best free agents never become pirates. The best 4 and 5 stars will get paid elsewhere.

I'm really curious across the country if these collectives are mostly made up of the whale donors, or the average fans joining in at the $19.76/month level like we have here. I think MSU shut theirs down since the average fans weren't buying in

Let's not forget Narduzzi had his best season here with Whipple (who couldn't leave fast enough) and Pickett. Is he finding another OC/QB combination? Nartuzzi is at best an 8-5 coach. At best.

and also the easiest schedule during his run here. But I'm beating a dead horse here on the scheduling issue, I've been preaching that for years...

and also the easiest schedule during his run here. But I'm beating a dead horse here on the scheduling issue, I've been preaching that for years...
I’m right there with you. Honestly, I’d be fine if we didn’t even schedule WVU on an annual basis. Play three G5s and an FCS team each year and rack up four easy wins.

Sigh. This gets old after the 3rd or 103rd iteration.

Narduzzi isn't on any hot seat. Nor should he be.
I think Narduzzi is in the Pat Fitzgerald or Kirk Ferentz category for Pitt. He seems to have an unofficial lifetime contract unless the wheels completely fall off and they have at least 3-4 awful seasons in a row. This would be the first.

Let's not forget Narduzzi had his best season here with Whipple (who couldn't leave fast enough) and Pickett. Is he finding another OC/QB combination? Nartuzzi is at best an 8-5 coach. At best.
I agree with this.

That said, i think (and I think other Pitt fans) see that CV has some talent. With the right OC and QB coach this kid might become a solid leader for Pitt.

But you're right. We need a change.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT