ADVERTISEMENT

At 2-10, Narduzzi is coaching for his job next season

I never said he was the best coach ever. I said he was a hall of fame coach.

You said many coaches could do what he did. Not many coaches are hall of famers.

You say now that it's impossible to say whether or not he's the best coach ever. Previously you said that many coaches could do what he did, which is pretty much saying he's not the best ever.

He is a HOF coach, yes. He won a lot. But its a Hall of Stats. His stats are good and mostly due to Brady. Is he the best ever? I doubt it.

He had the best player in league history. Is he a good coach? Sure? Best ever? Its impossible to say because he had the best QB. The same can be said for Phil Jackson. Its amazing but when I have better players on my youth teams, I usually win and when I dont, I usually lose.
I'm going to see he is a great coach. He took an absolute dumpster fire franchise and won. He won with Brady, but he also won with Bledsoe, Cassel, and Garapolo. Also won in Cleveland with Testaverde and had probably the top D in the league there at one point.

I'm going to see he is a great coach. He took an absolute dumpster fire franchise and won. He won with Brady, but he also won with Bledsoe, Cassel, and Garapolo. Also won in Cleveland with Testaverde and had probably the top D in the league there at one point.

A great coach? Maybe. But you cant really consider his Brady accomplishments in your argument. Brady was simply too good.

Funny how guys with the best stats usually end up in the Hall of Fame.

Right but some stats are misleading. I think way too many guys make the Hall of Fame. Bellichick is a HOFer. Not denying that. Im saying its impossible to tell if he's the best coach ever since he had the best QB.

And regarding NIL, is the school willing to let player spending get ramped up to compete with the recruits we are disastrously losing now at every turn.
How is the school impeding 3rd parties from spending the relatively small amount donated by cheap Pitt fans?

The reason I say that is because he is not a good coach unless he has a generational QB to bail him out. Even with Kenny we werent good and lucked out that a global pandemic gave him an extra year. Still managed to eff up 2 games with Kenny. Narduzzi's plan to get to the "next level" is essentially to find a 1st Round QB that no one offers. That isnt something you can reliably count on.
He just needs a competent QB, as shown with 9 wins last year. Its nearly impossible for Pitt - no matter the coach - to pull a top QB. Each of the last 3 years, Pitt has identified and nearly hooked a good QB only to see each QB snatched by one of the big names.

He just needs a competent QB, as shown with 9 wins last year. Its nearly impossible for Pitt - no matter the coach - to pull a top QB. Each of the last 3 years, Pitt has identified and nearly hooked a good QB only to see each QB snatched by one of the big names.

That was probably the 2nd easiest schedule in Pitt history. I believe we were favored in all but a slight underdog vs TN. And we lost 4. We were also favored in 13 in 2021 and lost 2. Lets say Villeaux is just competent next year. Well, its 7-5 or 6-6 depending on how the other teams are.

That was probably the 2nd easiest schedule in Pitt history. I believe we were favored in all but a slight underdog vs TN. And we lost 4. We were also favored in 13 in 2021 and lost 2. Lets say Villeaux is just competent next year. Well, its 7-5 or 6-6 depending on how the other teams are.
LOL.

We all know that you misrepresent reality. This post is no different.

Also won in Cleveland

He was the coach in Cleveland for five years. He made the playoffs once, in the only one of those five years his team had a winning record. They finished second in the division that year, which was his only year there that he finished better than third.

If you mean that he literally won a game in Cleveland, then yes, he absolutely did. If you mean he was a winning coach in Cleveland, that is so far from the truth that even SMF couldn't bend the facts enough to say that.

Villeaux was a B- vs Louisville and a C or C- today. He is ok, better than Phil but he isnt that great. To me, he is a Bill Stull game manager type. If we had enough talent around him, he can go out there and not lose it for you. But our WRs suck so he can't throw them open. Plus, he cant transfer again without sitting a year.
He has 2 starts. Get back to me in 2025 and we can discuss what Christian Veilleux is or isn't.

Pitt's receivers don't suck. They have shown a boatload of improvement. Means & Mumpfield are catching balls they often dropped last year (yes, I'm aware of Bub's one gator arm) Daejon Reynolds and Kenny Johnson can be really good. Solid group. Nothing elite. Not even a Malik Washington, but still a solid group.

Running back room could use some help. Very pedestrian, imo.

That sort of happened at Auburn with Gene Chizik, you saw what they did about it. Less than zero chance here. Heather will make a statement towards the end of the season that she loves Pat and will do everything she can to help make him successful.

Narduzzi is still the king of average coaches since Sherrill, so he deserves another season to turn this around. Not sure he can though
Auburn is a different culture.

At Auburn, a coach is celebrated in year one, and on the hot seat each and every year after that. You're hired to be fired, and they seem to be quite literally proud of that.

Mr. YellaWood's goal for Auburn football is to simultaneously be better than Alabama, and just as important, make sure the legacy of Pat Dye stands supreme against all other Auburn coaches.

He was the coach in Cleveland for five years. He made the playoffs once, in the only one of those five years his team had a winning record. They finished second in the division that year, which was his only year there that he finished better than third.

If you mean that he literally won a game in Cleveland, then yes, he absolutely did. If you mean he was a winning coach in Cleveland, that is so far from the truth that even SMF couldn't bend the facts enough to say that.
I mean the year he went 11-5 with arguably the top.defense in the league. What are you expecting, it's Cleveland after all.

I mean the year he went 11-5 with arguably the top.defense in the league. What are you expecting, it's Cleveland after all.

If he had only coached there for one season that would be a really good point.

You know he was there for five years, right? And that his second best season there was 7-9, right?

If he had only coached there for one season that would be a really good point.

You know he was there for five years, right? And that his second best season there was 7-9, right?
I do. Go back and read my post. Him going 11-5 in an environment where the owner is doing everything he can to tank the team to leave town is pretty good in my book.

I have no idea what your point here is? I wrote a post about his winning seasons without Brady and you cut out 90% of it and pasted like 4 out of context words so you could tell me I was wrong. He got fired in Cleveland. Nobody said he was some great success there. You just tried to manipulate my post to make it look like I did.

You just tried to manipulate my post to make it look like I did.

You said he won in Cleveland. I was merely pointing out the fact, and it is a fact, that he did not win in Cleveland. He finished in second place one time. That was his only year there that they made the playoffs or even had a winning record. Overall his record was well under .500.

You can pretend that makes him a winning coach, or you can try to explain away why him being a losing coach really wasn't so bad, but neither one of them makes him a winning coach. Because they actually keep track of that sort of thing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT