ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball

Nish67

Redshirt
Gold Member
Oct 29, 2001
I've written a few threads about one of our committed baseball prospects - Wesley Rodriguez. He has led his team to the NYC championship which will be played at Yankee Stadium next Wednesday. I'll be there. It'll be the fifth game I've seen him play this year. Unbelievable how may scouts follow him around. Overall, as a prospect, he has morphed from the best NYC hitter since Manny Ramirez to the best pitcher since the Yankees' Dellin Betances. His draft projection has jumped up to the second or third round so the chance we see him in Pittsburgh are less than slim and none. I've attached today's article from the New York Post. Nice to see :pitt get a little publicity.http://nypost.com/2015/05/30/99-mph-heat-bat-like-manny-ramirez-how-bronx-hs-star-overcame-tragedy/

I've written a few threads about one of our committed baseball prospects - Wesley Rodriguez. He has led his team to the NYC championship which will be played at Yankee Stadium next Wednesday. I'll be there. It'll be the fifth game I've seen him play this year. Unbelievable how may scouts follow him around. Overall, as a prospect, he has morphed from the best NYC hitter since Manny Ramirez to the best pitcher since the Yankees' Dellin Betances. His draft projection has jumped up to the second or third round so the chance we see him in Pittsburgh are less than slim and none. I've attached today's article from the New York Post. Nice to see :pitt get a little publicity.http://nypost.com/2015/05/30/99-mph-heat-bat-like-manny-ramirez-how-bronx-hs-star-overcame-tragedy/
Thanks for the update Nish....its nice to see we are in on a talent like this even if he never comes to Pitt.

Entering the third round, he's still on the board. A guy can dream, right?

The latest article doesn't give the sense that he's giving much consideration to the collegiate route.

I have mixed emotions. On one hand I want to see him at Pitt. On the other hand I want him to do well for his parents, meaning a high draft slot and good money. Too bad those are mutually exclusive. Now middle of 4th round and he's still on the board.

Just spoke with Wesley's coach. Said a rumor circulated yesterday that Wesley was hurt. He's not but teams are passing on him. Now into 6th round and nothing. Remembers that Dellin Betances went in the 8th round and still got a $1 million from the Yankees. Holding out hope. Don't know at what point Pitt becomes a viable option.

Yeah, it a tough deal. I hadn't heard anything about injuries.

This article mentioned concerns about competition and conditioning. Post selection article suggests that his camp's desired contract price and rumors of dropped velocity, pushed him back.

Looks like the Diamondbacks took him in the 12th round (346th overall). Same franchise that had formed major leaguer, Jason Conti, and took our last New York product, Soto.

If only he had his heart set round 10 or lower... technically could still get paid after a few years.

Since this is a general baseball thread, two actual Panthers have been drafted so far.

P Marc Berube was the first off the board in the 28th round to the Oakland A's.
P Hobie Harris was the next picked in the 31st round by the New York Yankees.

Still watching to see if/when Boo goes. He's a guy I got my fingers crossed for, really like him & his dad.

Boo Vazquez had a poor junior year and a slow start this season after contracting mono but finished pretty strongly especially at the plate so I'm a little surprised he hasn't gone yet..... hopefully he will on day number 3.

Sin, I'm impressed. Don't know where you get your info but, yes, it wasn't about an injury, it was all about the money. It's a real long story and I'm not going into the details. I'm so disappointed to see what has happened to this kid. He's not going to Pitt. As a backup plan he got accepted at San Jacinto JC. Makes more sense now. The way the draft works, after high school your next opportunity is after your junior year or when you hit 21 (that's why Soto went after his sophomore year). So if he came to Pitt he'd have to wait three years. At a JC, a two year school, his first year is his junior year. I think that's the play if the money doesn't come through. It probably won't for someone in the 12th round because of the new rules about slotting. We'll know by July 15th which is the last day you can sign someone from the draft. Real disappointed for a lot of reasons.

Sin, I'm impressed. Don't know where you get your info but, yes, it wasn't about an injury, it was all about the money. It's a real long story and I'm not going into the details. I'm so disappointed to see what has happened to this kid. He's not going to Pitt. As a backup plan he got accepted at San Jacinto JC. Makes more sense now. The way the draft works, after high school your next opportunity is after your junior year or when you hit 21 (that's why Soto went after his sophomore year). So if he came to Pitt he'd have to wait three years. At a JC, a two year school, his first year is his junior year. I think that's the play if the money doesn't come through. It probably won't for someone in the 12th round because of the new rules about slotting. We'll know by July 15th which is the last day you can sign someone from the draft. Real disappointed for a lot of reasons.

Don't be too impressed, I wouldn't even know who the kid was if you didn't inform us all.

I share your disappointment. Though I think he should take pride in going earlier than any NYC kids of the last three drafts - particularly since he did this as a HS prospect.

I also think talented people with motivation from external sources eventually find their pay slot. He's got power (Jr. HR Derby Particpant). He's got the arm (98 mph fastball). Things typically work out for these types.

Wesley Rodriguez just announced that he will undergo Tommy John surgery. Obviously that probably takes him out of the picture for the D'backs.

I would think that SanJac may not be in the picture, either. Could probably get better medical attention at Pitt during a redshirt year.

Last edited:
I did get confirmation on the Tommy John surgery. Nice pickup. There is a chance the Dback's sign him anyway. This is morphed way beyond my expectations. Too much drama for high school!

I did get confirmation on the Tommy John surgery. Nice pickup. There is a chance the Dback's sign him anyway. This is morphed way beyond my expectations. Too much drama for high school!

The MLB Draft has turned into such a mess under the new CBA, with HS kids and college seniors getting shafted the worst. If you're a HS kid who is good but not quite elite, you're likely to fall out of the first 10 rounds if you throw out a big bonus number. However, if you don't throw that big bonus number out -- if a big bonus is indeed what you want -- then you risk getting drafted and signing for around whatever your slot value is. And, if you get taken in the top 10 rounds and subsequently up your bonus demands, you apparently get blackballed pretty heavily since teams now build their draft boards partially by talent and partially by the player asking price.

The good news for Rodriguez is that with the way the D'Backs drafted they should have plenty of cash left over to pay him above his $100,000 slot value as an 11-40 round guy if they so choose. They saved a lot on Swanson and then didn't take too many high priced guys later. It might come down to his willingness to take a discount relative to his pre-draft figure.

Either way, I wish him the best. I would imagine it's pro ball or Pitt at this point, as SanJac wouldn't make much sense in terms of his recovery timing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT