ADVERTISEMENT

Beamer 28 Years At VT, LINK!

CaptainSidneyReilly

Chancellor
Dec 25, 2006
Hope Pitt can keep a great coach for 20+ years and it may be Coach Pat Narduzzi!

Triblive Article:
Frank Beamer entered from the back of the room, the people waiting silently for him seated and facing straight ahead.

When he reached the front, Virginia Tech's iconic football coach turned and looked out over his audience. The scene was almost overwhelming.

These were family members of victims of the mass shooting that occurred April 16, 2007, on the Virginia Tech campus in Blacksburg, Va. A total of 33 people died, including gunman Seung-Hui Cho, who committed suicide. It was the deadliest shooting rampage in U.S. history.

“You saw the eyes, the sadness and the hurt and the pain,” Beamer said from Blacksburg where he is preparing his team to meet Pitt on Saturday at Lane Stadium. “It's one of those situations that I'll never forget.”

In the days following the shootings, university officials turned to Beamer to provide comfort for the families. Beamer went several steps further, literally.

“I do a lot of walking around campus,” he said. “I even did more. I thought it was important that students saw some people they knew, and if they wanted to talk, we would.

“If anything, I'll be honest with you, it brought our university closer. I think our students and alumni and faculty are even closer to this day and probably more respectful of each other, making sure they respect each other's rights.”

For the past 28 years, Beamer has felt the pulse of the Virginia Tech campus. He graduated from there in 1969 with a Bachelor of Science in distributive education before earning his Master's in guidance from Radford (Va.). He was a three-year starting cornerback for the Hokies, and he has been their head coach since 1987, compiling a record of 233-117-2, including 2-2 this year.

Raised in Hillsville, Va., where he starred in football, basketball and baseball, he also keeps in touch with his roots. He returned this year for his 50th high school reunion.

The nearby small town of Fancy Gap, Va. (population 238), claims Beamer as its own, with a sign that proclaims “Frank Beamer Country.” Actually, he was born in Mt. Airy, N.C., only because it had the nearest hospital.

“He's a huge Andy Griffith fan,” his son, Shane Beamer, said of Mt. Airy's other favorite son. “Anytime I go to his house, if Andy Griffith is on, you can bet he's going to be watching it.”

His coaching style, placing heavy emphasis on special teams and blocking kicks, is called Beamerball, and the street outside Lane Stadium was renamed Beamer Way.

When students move in at the beginning of the term, he orders players and coaches to be on call to help with the heavy lifting. Beamer has been known to stop what he's doing to accommodate a selfie request.

Beamer's coaching career has not taken him far from the Blue Ridge Mountains that surround the Virginia Tech campus. He was an assistant at Maryland and The Citadel in the 1970s before serving under former Pitt coach Mike Gottfried at Murray State (Ky.). Later, he became Murray State's head coach and competed against current Pitt coach Pat Narduzzi's father, Bill, then at Youngstown State.

“You were usually in for a battle when you got there,” Beamer said. “I don't think I ever looked forward to going up to Youngstown.”

“I do know that they were friends,” Narduzzi said. “He's just a class act. I'm happy to go play against him.”

But how long will Narduzzi have that opportunity? Beamer turns 69 on Oct. 18, with an overall record of 275-140-4. His victory total is sixth all-time in the FBS behind coaching greats Joe Paterno, Bobby Bowden, Bear Bryant, Pop Warner and Amos Alonzo Stagg.

Steelers quarterback Mike Vick, who led Virginia Tech to the 1999 national championship game, is impressed by his former coach's longevity.

“I never thought, 15, 16 years later, that coach would still be coaching,” Vick said. “I thought he'd have been retired and a national champion by now.”

Beamer started slow, with two two-victory seasons (1987, '92) among his first six.

“In today's time, he would have been fired,” said Shane Beamer, now his father's associate head coach. “It was tough to go to school and hear things about your dad. For some reason, our home phone number was in the phone book, and people would call the house and tell you how bad your dad is as a coach.

“It makes you appreciate winning.” Before Beamer returned to Blacksburg, Virginia Tech never won 10 games in a season. From 1995-2011, the Hokies reached double-digit victories 13 times.

Yet the program has regressed in recent years. A record that includes at least five losses in each of the past three seasons has raised questions about Beamer's future that not even his son can answer.

“Everybody thinks he has given me an exact (retirement) date,” Shane Beamer said. “He really hasn't. He is as energized as he's ever been.”

Beamer had throat surgery in December but returned in time to watch from the coach's booth while Virginia Tech defeated Cincinnati, 33-16, in the Military Bowl. Later, in the locker room, he did a victory dance with his players.

“I want to continue to do this as long as the people want me here and my health stays good,” said Beamer, whose contract runs through 2019.

This summer, Beamer offered another clue about his immediate future after he cut short his vacation to attend the funeral of former Virginia Tech athletic director Jim Weaver.

Already back on campus, he decided to make further use of his time. “He had us all in one day watching video of high school sophomores,” Shane said. “I don't think that's a sign of a guy planning on getting out soon.”

Shane Beamer said he doesn't expect his father to be like Bowden and Paterno and continue coaching into his late 70s. “I think I'll know when it's time to go,” he said. “When I'm not a positive influence around here, I need to go and turn it over to someone else.”

Shane spent several years coaching at various schools before coming home to Virginia Tech in 2011. He had been the long snapper on the '99 team that lost to Florida State.

He said his father never has allowed success or celebrity to change him.

“Whether we beat Ohio State or lost to Pitt (both of which happened last year), the very next day, he's the exact same guy,” he said. “Coaches feed off that. Players do as well.”

Beamer's message is unchanged. “Don't act special and people will treat you special,” Shane said, reciting his father's words. “He tells that to the players all the time.”

Jerry DiPaola is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at jdipaola@tribweb.com or via Twitter @JDiPaola_Trib.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/college/pitt/9178555-74/beamer-tech-virginia#ixzz3nKyU4hJD
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT