ADVERTISEMENT

Bell thoughts...

RoadToNumber10

Sophomore
Gold Member
Mar 2, 2012
So Saturday night I had bought into Yurcich being the next OC and started doing some minor breakdowns before we left for a Christmas party. Obviously, it's a lot easier to find quality film for a guy who's been at Oklahoma State, Texas, and Penn State versus a guy who's been at Western Carolina, Tumuculsm (sp) d2, and Valdosta State. That made it easier and plus, as Okie State was an opponent, I had some resources prior to this, so I just had to break that stuff back out.

Regardless, I was pleasantly surprised to see the Chris Peak bomb that it was in fact Bell. I've started to take a deep dive into the system, things I've liked, etc. But before those come out - I have some thoughts and wanted to share with the board.

• I think this was a good move - not because I think Kade Bell is the best offensive coordinator in the world, but because the final choices had me a little worried. Yurcich, who I believe is still a good coordinator, would have struggled to move the needle. The spin, even for naysayers, is he's a young coordinator with one of the best offenses in FCS and they've turned that program into a respectable group in 3 years. Since 2002, that program has only won 7 games 4 total times, once was this year. They've basically averaged 2-3 wins per year over the last 21 seasons.

• There's a few things I like about his scheme - but the more I've watched it reminds me a lot of 2019 LSU from a schematic sense. They take a lot of vertical shots, the run game is very RPO-heavy, and they like the duo run scheme.

• While it reminds me of that group, the passing game is more diverse. Bell uses a lot of movement play-action to get the quarterback out of the pocket, adds in sprint-out concepts, and they use the back a lot (as both a check down but also releasing him into the concept).

• From what I've read, he's a pretty good recruiter and during his brief stint at USF, there was a lot of buzz for their recruiting class because of him. Obviously they didn't make it due to the coaching change, but another guy working Florida, this time from an offensive standpoint, is not something to ignore.

• They are definitely a tempo team at Western Carolina, and I don't doubt we'll see tempo next season. They were controlled tempo - there were quite a few times where they slowed it down, mini-huddled, and also controlled the ball.

• I think Rodney Hammond could thrive because there is no way he sees the run boxes with the way he likes to spread people out. Will be interesting to see how well he does in the passing attack since they released the back a ton.

Just my thoughts - I plan on having a few things over to Chris soon but I wanted to just put these out there for the board.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News