ADVERTISEMENT

Big changes for NIT

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
No more auto bids. 2 guaranteed slots for Power 6 teams (based on NET rankings). Weren’t we just discussing the importance of NET rankings and scoring margins? I know no one cares about the NIT, but a blowout here or there could mean the difference of whether or not you make the NIT.

If you're asking me, I would have kept the auto bids but expanded the tournament to 48 or 64. But without doing that, I like this. It was getting pretty difficult for P6 teams to make the NIT.

The mid-major leagues are going to be pissed off about these changes.

Really, really pissed off.

Not that there's anything they can do about it.

By the way, they are also guaranteeing the 12 P6s that make the tournament because of their NET rankings a home game if they want one.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I hate it. The whole point of why people love March Madness is the underdogs. The above-average P6s who make miss the NCAAT don’t really want to be there, either, so why should they have priority over legitimately good teams?

Oh yeah, because the networks want it. As someone pointed out on Twitter, this feels like a direct reaction to FOX wanting a P6-only postseason event. Ironic that this comes after 3 of the 4 semi finalists were mid-majors. I’d much rather watch Robert Morris storm the court against Kentucky than a 19-15 Big Ten playing in front of a half-empty arena.

Reactions: Zepley09
I hate it. The whole point of why people love March Madness is the underdogs. The above-average P6s who make miss the NCAAT don’t really want to be there, either, so why should they have priority over legitimately good teams?

Oh yeah, because the networks want it. As someone pointed out on Twitter, this feels like a direct reaction to FOX wanting a P6-only postseason event. Ironic that this comes after 3 of the 4 semi finalists were mid-majors. I’d much rather watch Robert Morris storm the court against Kentucky than a 19-15 Big Ten playing in front of a half-empty arena.

There were too many of those teams qualifying. Pitt barely made the NCAAT last year and had they lost, say, 3 more games, probably wouldn't have made the NIT. The NIT is for teams like that. Its the Music City Bowl or the Sun Bowl. They should have expanded the tournament but since they're not, I think they legitimately want the 32 best teams to add some interest. The Final Four of Utah Valley, UAB, North Texas, and Wisconsin's boring offense was probably the last straw.

The mid-major leagues are going to be pissed off about these changes.

Really, really pissed off.

Not that there's anything they can do about it.

By the way, they are also guaranteeing the 12 P6s that make the tournament because of their NET rankings a home game if they want one.

I don't agree with the guaranteed home game but whatever. Better than having 18-15 St. Francis make it over 19-13 Wake.

I have been saying for years that these conferences need to protect their regular season champ by awarding their auto bid to the winner or a Regular Season Championship vs Tournament Championship game.

Really, the NIT is just returning to how it was before the NCAA bought it, when the NIT would always invite any .500 major conference team. It was a business decision to do so back then, and certainly, seems to be again.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT